Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:

Except for that funny lookin motor, pretty much.

That thing is starting to get broke in and I think, much to my surprise, it's making more power. :huh
  2. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Is that even possible?:eek1
  3. Tslapper

Oddometer:

It skips the front wheel over everything. All i have to do is ask it.

Never had a bike that could pick me up like this thing does. I might as well not even be on it.

Well, there was a 79 YZ400 that could but it usually meant the earth-sky movie was showing.

<p>
  4. jwrider

jwrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice trait in a bike eh...!
  5. Tslapper

Oddometer:
    Ayuh!

You home yet?
  6. jwrider

jwrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You home yet?[/QUOTE]

Leave next Thurs. for camp in Mass. to race Crow Hill J-Day and pre-celebrate Tilas's 40th. :freaky
    Come one come all! It's not a party unless everyone's invited...!
  7. heatmaker

heatmaker WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer:
    Leave next Thurs. for camp in Mass. to race Crow Hill J-Day and pre-celebrate Tilas's 40th. :freaky
    Come one come all! It's not a party unless everyone's invited...![/QUOTE]

:freaky:freaky
    Cant wait!
  8. heatmaker

heatmaker WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer:
    :freaky:freaky
    Cant wait![/QUOTE]

maybe some of this...:rilla:poser:beer:drums:bmwrider:dutch:strum:loaded:jose:happay:wings:wings:poser:poser
  9. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta say that the 690 will fill most of this request. Just this week I realized that my map setting was not on the most aggressive #. Now adjusted, it's a bit of a fire breather, and that's without having yet desmogged it, as well as putting a foam filter so it can properly breath. Then there are those who say that the aftermarket ECU makes it a "real" bike. I don't think I'd readily take it down the snotty Maine single track I'd imagine taking the 570, but it's an amazing bike on anything 2 track or more. And, it's very happy running down the pavement at 75-80.
  10. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    How's it handle 2-up? I'm looking hard at my bike stable thinking about how I can shuffle things around. I love the KLX, and the KLR has been a faithful steed, but it would be nice if one bike could replace the two. Commuting, camping trips, dirt roads, mild ATV trails, etc. Must be able to handle a passenger, though, and that's the deal killer for anything I can think of that would also be able to handle 2 track.
  11. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I can tell you that my 7 yr old son likes it.... My wife has no real interest in riding 2 up with me. She has indeed done it on my bigger bikes, but there's no way she'd be happy on the 690. The seat is hard. I ride road and mountain bikes a ton so it doesn't bother me, but most find it pretty unbearable. Other than the 2 up, I feel it would fit your remaining criteria very well.
  12. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Arrghh, why won't it just play here? Seriously, you'd think that there would just be a button on SmugMug that would allow you to do one step posting on ADV...
  13. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    9X0:deal

SCS even likes riding on the back as long as there's a top case or something on there. Rides the trails better than a KLR due to weight distribution and I suspect suspension.

Maine Turnpike Friday night. N. Berwick/Fryburg DS ride Saturday morning. Doesn't get much better than that. Someone out there could even pull it off 2-up. I'm not that guy but someone can do it.

Any time you want to try one let me know.
  14. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=240 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1837067631_8wK84zr?width=425&height=240" frameBorder=0 width=425 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

OK. Do this.

1. Open up your Smuggy window and get to your video.

2. Open a second window of this thread so you can flip back and forth to continue reading this. (Ctrl N will get you there assuming yer on a Windows type machine.)

3. In the other Maine Riders window click 'reply'.

4. Then click the little box at the top right hand corner with an 'A/A' - window should go white.

5. Now, go to your Smuggy window.

6. In the Smuggy window make the viseo you want to post the main feature. In other words, the big picture.

7. Click the 'Share' button in the top righthand corner.

8. From the drop down menu click on 'Get link'.

9. There will be 4 'tabs' across the top to choose from. The third one from the left should be 'Embeddable Links'. Click it.

10. There will be three groups to choose from. You're using the top group - 'Video Embed'. You're using the top option which is the 'Web' option. Click 'Copy' to the far right of that line. If a window pops up asking, allow access. The box that said 'Copy' should now say Copied'

11. Go back to the window you're replying in. It should be the white background from step 4. If your cursor isn't in there click it so it is. (In the advanced class we'll cover moving the cursor to where you want to insert the video in your text.)

12. Now hit 'Ctrl 'V'. The copied link should appear there.

13. Hit 'Submit Reply'

14. Congratulate yourself.

15. Buy me a beer.:lol3
  15. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop too! Made in America Ridden Worldwide. :clap
  16. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I think the big Katoom is a little out of my league for a number of reasons. Drool-worthy bikes, though. Maybe some day.
  17. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Now that I've repaired the internet that I accidently broke...oops! :uhoh

:lol3

First off, this thought has to be adjusted a little for this to work. Real life example from just this past weekend:

My spin on the results - Doug just started riding dirt a few years ago. He was just 9 places away from Malcolm Smith. Yeah. That Malcolm Smith.:deal

Where were we? Not racing in Baja!
    That last line closes down the parameters pretty tight when you add it to your list of functions.

Just for the sake of discussion, how soon are you looking to make this shuffle? Does it have to happen all at once? For instance, do you have to get rid of the KLX (or other small bike) right away? It'd be helpful if you didn't.

I'm looking at what you've listed as requirements.

"...Commuting, camping trips, dirt roads, mild ATV trails, etc..."

Would you agree that the most technical out of these is the 'mild ATV trails'?

I'm going to assume yes for now since I don't know what 'etc' represents.

Are you at least semi-comfortable riding the KLR on ATV trails?

If so, the 9X0 is even easier for the reasons mentioned earlier. Buy the armor and don't look back.

If not semi-comfortable riding the KLR on mild trails, what will it take to get you there? (Have you tried it since you've been riding the trails with the KLX? You may be surprised.)

That's where keeping the little bike in the stable comes in. Building transferable skills.:deal

Even if you hold off on the ATV trails part, the commuting, camping trips and dirt roads would be covered while you work on your confidence for the trails. With the trails you simply ease into those.

In the meantime, you have a very capable 2-up bike and when it's time you move it into 2-track service and all four of your stated functions are covered.:1drink

But that's just one perspective.

Thought about taking this to PM but didn't for a couple of reasons. First, I'm damn impressed with Doug's accomplishment. It wasn't more than a couple of years ago he wheeled that IT out of my yard and into his truck. He's now a respectable finisher of the Mexican 1000. He's an inspiration.

Second, I've bought into the 'use the little bike to build the transferable skills for the big bike' plan. If I can do it, anyone can. I got no special talent - just seat time and a willingness to crash. The KLR has prolly helped to sell countless dirt bikes after n00bs like me take them into the woods with varying results. One ride out there with mine a few years ago and I was dirt bike shopping. (Got an IT.) I'm still a fan of using the little bike to build riding skills. I've got a whole network of trails here that kick my a$$ on the KDX that I need to eventually conquer knowing that excercise will help me when I'm some place I shouldn't be on a bigger bike. In any event, maybe it'll help someone else as that is how it is meant.
  18. dirthauler

dirthauler rolling rototiller

Oddometer:
    Pittstone, ya it's a Flintstones refference
    Yep +1 on all that EC. There's no quesrion little bike skills transfer. I always felt dirtbike skills greatly improve ones roadbike skills, and trials bike skills greatly improve ones dirtbike skills

I guess i should trials bike, huh?:norton
  19. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rain rain go away!
  20. Tslapper

Oddometer:

:deal