jdrocks Rides 2013: CO, WY, MT, Canada, and Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jdrocks, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    Print this, take it with you. Pull your Funk Chubby out when you're feelin' low- :evil

[​IMG]
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks kevin.

just thought of a couple things. i should have grabbed a handful of herder stickers, and...it was such short notice on this trip that i completely forgot about the planning thread, and now i'm getting a little, ya know, skeeerd. hope i don't get lost.
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks, that helps, but you might not know this...a Funk Chubbie has a SOUL, so i'm still a little worried.

i'd leave him at kevin's house, but with all that exotic wood on there, he'd end up in a BBQ pit helping smoke a big ass piece of meat.
  4. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't do that to your skateboard, but I might save my back and bolt it to the bottom of the beer cooler.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    damn, who the heck said innovation in the USA was dead...but i figured you were going to say that you'd teach Dixie, the avatar dog, to ride the Funk Chubbie.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    departure countdown, and about ready to load up the GPS.

to stay on route, i'll need (in no particular order)...no snow, no 75mph winds, no forest fires, no road washouts...so hey, y'all, don't close my freakin' roads. roll the dice....
  7. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Let's go man. Your back will hold up. I got new tires and fresh oil. :clapbuy
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you're welcome to ride along, heck of a mountain route most of the way. if you guys leave right this minute and ride 30 hours at 100mph you'll arrive at the departure point right on schedule. see ya there...don't forget the pie.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    checklists complete, coordination with AspentureRider complete, flights on schedule as much as they ever are...see y'all in Denver.
  10. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave - you're NOT the only one. Back in '04, planning my first (by bike...) Alaska trip, my wife said she can not understand WHY I want to go.... Same comment in '07, again in '09. Now, all she does is shake her head, gimme a hug and a kiss, stands there waving as I head out....:wave

:pynd
  11. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    so i was driving along, in the midst of moving my operation 200 miles closer to an airport, talking to AspentureRider on the cell about some final details, wife eavesdropping on the conversation...and that's when AspentureRider said

"dave, there's another bike in Seattle that needs to be moved to Anchorage",

damn, i'll be sleeping on that couch for so long i might have to sign a lease.
  13. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Great! Now I have a timeline. 5 years and my wife will understand/accept. Only 3.5 more to go.

Liking this and will lurk... :lurk
  14. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    You're one lucky dog there Dave! Lookin' forward to the RR. If you need some Cat Herder stickers, send me a PM; I've taken over the operation to give Kevin a break. I've just gotten a batch in and can mail you some; you just need to provide me with an address, quantity, and color.

I know where you can find another pilot if needed! :D :evil
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    some bad news, 99/100 will never understand, but if you're a very good boy you'll get the free pass when you want one.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hey XC,

i didn't think of the stickers soon enough, too late for mail.

as a former Versys dude and experienced northern traveler, i'll be on your old bike and roads you know well. no 130/80 front though.

there really is another bike that needs to be moved...too bad you're so tied up with the RTW prep. ok, that and looking for a replacement Versys.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    my new bike...for a few days.

[​IMG]

now i'm in Wyoming, what a freakin' day of travel, i can't remember exactly how i got here. plenty to write about. got felt up by the TSA, the body scanner said i was full of shrapnel, and i got swabbed for explosive residue. hang around those TSA dweebs long enough and i suppose anyone could fit a terrorist profile. plus, half of those people walking around barefoot in front of the scanner looked to have leprosy, at least of the feet. the whole place was crawling with germs, bacteria, exotic disease, god awful stuff. some of those folks shoulda been run through a vat of cow dip first, then through the scanner.

eventually, i'll get around to telling you about the person who was not allowed to board that Miami flight at the gate next door...the 6AM flight.

mike's great, the bike's great, the mountains are great. 350 miles in a half day of riding, i'm beat.
  18. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Great start! :thumb Have a great time, my friend.
    "ain't no Starbucks run":rofl
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    so true, but speaking of Starbucks, i did see a girl drop her Grande while boarding the connecting flight to Denver. flight was packed sardine full, caused a little commotion.

flying is so much fun.

saw the turnoff for Kremmerling yesterday when i came over the mountains, one of your stops on the CDT, and i went through there myself in 2011, but i was routed differently this time.

more mountains today.
  20. PatrickInVA

PatrickInVA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

Keep it shiny side up, and greasy side down.