TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    After my recent laptop shitting the bed, and loosing everything... I had saved my bone stock 2012 990 standard map. Not sure if I would ever need it again..but....

Does anyone have the stock factory map they can send me. Just would like to have for reference if needed.

2012 model factory stock only please..

Thanks Smitty
  2. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    If it's a US bike with stock exhaust
    here is the download link for 2011-2012 990 STANDARD

http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex...model/KTM/990 Adventure/KM601US1102001Map.zip

Here is the link for the 990R
    http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex...del/KTM/990_Adventure_R/KM601US1102002Map.zip
  3. smitty141

Oddometer:
  4. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Yep, you can load the R map on the standard
    Enjoy the power gain!
  5. smitty141

Oddometer:
    I have played with mapping for some time. I have all the crap removed, and have a SportingWood air filter setup.

This is fun/aggravating stuff....:freaky

Smitty
  6. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2012 had the R map on it from the get go. If you need it pm me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. maxinux

maxinux KiLR

Oddometer:
    That's what I was sold (I was debating between dealer demos of 2011 dakar @160 milesand 2012 blue @20miles.. Paid 500 bux more for the newer bike!)! I can pull the map from my bike and send it your way though if you haven't just used the R map at this point.
  8. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Max, but I have the file I was looking for. xTomKx sent the hex file from his bike. All is good for now..

Smitty
  9. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anmd how do I do that my good man?
    I basically computor illiterate.

10. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either open a ktm map or plug the tuneecu to the bike and hit connect!
  11. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    So, this may be a long winded question, but I want to give y'all the info up front to frame the question(s) itself.

I bought a 2008 990A from a Ducati dealer, knowing that only a farkin' moron would trade in a KTM on a Duc. If he had any brains, he would buy a Duc for hooning on the street and get the 990 running sweet for the dirt. But, he was a monkeyfighting moron.

I knew I was in for it when the left side Gobi had a broken off latch and would have flown off into some soccer mom's windshield on the highway
    within 20 miles, and I had almost 1K to go to get home. The dealer wasn't event embarrassed when I asked where the nearest O'Reilly's was so I could buy a strap to keep from killing anyone on my way home. Asshats.

I've since removed all of the P.O.'s dangerous accessory wiring (WTF is a fuse for anyways? Just extra weight.) Adjusted the valves, installed a
    Rottweiler, changed the fuel filter, changed the oil, adjusted throttle cables and TBs, and downloaded the supposedly dyno tuned map from the ECU.

The Duc delaer told me that the P.O. had made them promise to dyno tune the bike because it didn't run right, stalling itself to dead and with a snatchy throttle response. Well, it has never died on me, but the snatchy throttle is alive and well. Turns out that the bastage of a Duc dealer either lied to me, or their dyno tuner lied to them. From my perspective, there is little difference. Luckily I trust deities and documented evidence a little, neither of which vouched for the state of this bike, so I had to check it all out.

The tune that I found on the bikes ECU was labelled as a 2006, but was actually the 2007/8 OEM Akra map set, with the O2 turned off, but more
    interestingly,

wait . . . for . . . it . . .

all the F-L switch settings were set to zero. That's it. That was the only map edit. Wow, heckuva custom dyno-tune. Hmmnnnn . . . . who's feeding me a line? if that's what they call dyno-tuned, what else is screwed up? Farkin Beevis heads, that's what they are. I still have a couple of things to go through, but I think I have fixed all the really risky things. Luckily this bike only had 9K on the odo! Who knows what it would have been like in another 10K.

After my valve adjust, I adjusted the throttle cable and TBs, loaded the CPR Rottweiler 2 into 1 Akra map, and reset adaptation. This map set should be a bit lean as I have two Akra cans with those token little decibel reducing tubes in the ends. Chris suggested that this map might be a bit lean on it's own. Twin Akras should still expel burnt gasses better than a single Akra, so I might be a bit too lean for safety. It runs very well, threatens to toss me off the back of the seat if I am not careful, and even better yet, the O2 sensors both switch voltage between off and on. Good sign.

So, here's my two part question:
    1) I'm looking for better F-L settings than the ones that the OEM Akra map have, but am a bit unsure of what those values really mean, so guidance
    would be greatly appreciated. Right now, with about 1.5 miles on the revised bike, lets just say that the motor rewards a very smooth right wrist, and the higher the rpms, the better it treats me. I have only ridden it 1.5 miles though. I don't know if setting the F-L values lower than the stock map will help, or hurt, but many of the maps have those F-L values set very low, or even to zero especially at most higher throttle positions.

2) I am planning to paste the PowerTrip F maps onto my CPR maps since the PowerTrip F-map values are mostly a bit richer, before I take this out on the road much. I don't think this will hurt anything, since very rarely do his maps drop below the CPR maps. I'll try the 15 minute idle routine once I get a map installed that I plan to take to a tuner.

3) Yeah, I just thought of a third question. Too bad, please answer anyways. Anyone know of or have experience with any dyno tuners in the SF Bay Area that have dyno tuned and mapped a KTM 990 with a Rottweiler or other aftermarket high flow air intake? It would be kewl if he used TuneECU, but that is a MUCH lower priority. I can just save and work with whatever they come up with if they use PC or whatever.
    Primarily, I would like to start with maps in the ECU to be reasonably close to decent so that the dyno tuning dood has a good starting point. The further away from optimal that the bike starts, the further away from optimal the tuning session will probably end, or so I assume. I am not going to be racing, ever. I don't even want the best fuel mileage. I just want the bike to run well, and reliably, with decent gas mileage, and without burning a hole in the top of either piston or plugging itself up with carbon soot.

Thanks in advance for any assistance y'all can provide.
    Jonathan
  12. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a pain in the neck. I hope you got a good deal.
  13. JoeMongo

Oddometer:
    I didn't get a great deal. I got an OK deal considering mileage. If I wasn't a hands-on bike owner, I'd have lost money. As it is, I was planning to dig deep into this bike anyways so no big deal, financially. So far, I haven't found anything actually broken in a way that I can't fix myself. Hopefully I'll get this FI mapping taken care of without breaking anything.

I'm still hoping to hear from a 990 owner with a Rottweiler or equivalent and dual Akras!
  14. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't help with number 1, but...

I have a 2011 990, with a SW7 filter, and dual Leo's. I currently use the Powertripp Map (#Power-TrippKTM990advAKRA.hex) and find it to work the best out of the four I've tried. By best I mean smoothest throttle, fewest "hiccups", and best fuel economy (power is there also). The only modification I made to it was to turn off the SAI. Like you said, you'd need to copy/paste with the older ECU.

As for a tuner in NorCal, check out Wheelsmith Racing in San Rafael. They used to be (still are?) Factory pro guys, and provide dyno tuning. They also have Tune ECU listings for the 990A on their website. I have not personally used them, yet, but I've been told they do very good work with both the 990A and TuneECU. I plan to have them tune my bike later this year (err next year). http://www.factorypro.com/Wheelsmit...g Tuning Rates.htm#Tuning_Device_-_REFLASHING
  15. JoeMongo

Oddometer:
    After looking through all the TuneECU maps and files that I can find, there appears to only be two custom maps that are out there in the interweb that have been developed for an open intake like a Rottweiler. The most widely distributed tune is based on moto-treks map set for his newish 990 (2011/12).

This set of maps has been partially copied into other tunes for different version 990s, such as my version: 2007/2008. I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that the F and L maps are copied from his tune into a 2007/08 tune, but the F-L switch settings and the 2nd butterfly map is not. I suspect that his maps may have been created with his second butterflies working as shown in his tune. This probably also applies to the F-L settings. His maps are found in different TuneECU tunes at a few different places on the web.

The second set of custom maps created for an open intake is the Power-Tripp maps. They are (for the most part) richer than the moto-treks maps, and are also created for newer 990s (2009/10) so they have to be cut and pasted into a 2007/08 tune for appropriate ignition advance.

Perhaps it would be better to just paste 2008 ignition maps into either of their tunes in order to keep all of their dyno-tune developed fuel/air maps together:
    F maps
    L maps
    2nd Throttle
    F-L Switch
    (I am neglecting the low octane fuel map as this post is a bit too detailed and complicated already)

Otherwise, I have to copy and paste a lot of different tables and settings, oh well.

I haven't found any other custom map sets or tunes out there other than these two, but others may exist. I just haven't found them yet. I also haven't found any tunes that are based on edited copies of Power-Tripp's tune, like I have for moto-treks' tune. There may be some of those out there someplace as well. There may be a few places on the internet that I haven't visited yet. I better get back to looking around as soon as I finish writing this post.

After another excessively long discussion, here is a single question:
    Is it really OK to separate out the F and/or L map from a tune and use it without the 2nd Throttle butterfly map and F-L Switch settings that it was developed with? Some of these versions of moto-treks' tune that are distributed on the web have significantly different F-L settings and 2nd butterfly map than his original tune.

FWIW, my 990 is now tolerable to ride with just such a tune loaded, where before I was almost not comfortable lanesplitting stop-n-go traffic on the freeways here in Congestedfreewaylifornia. It's not safe to ride in this traffic without splitting lanes, so it takes a lot for me to say that.

Now my 990 is working pretty well, but is still a bit of a wild beast between 2500 and 4500 rpm. I am thinking that I will finish integrating both of their complete map sets into 2007/08 tunes, try them out and take whichever I like best to my future dyno-tuner.

Thanks for reading this. Thanks even more if you have any answers or even just further related comments. You may return to your funny cat videos and epic-fail compilation videos now.
  16. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO the biggest issue with pasting F &/or L maps from an '09+ into an '07-08 is that these newer bikes run different camshafts (From the '07+ super duke if my info is correct). Rich is safer than lean, and the CPR and Power Tripp maps are richer than the '07-08 akra map, but my bike didn't run well with those values pasted into an '07 map.

I just had my '07 dyno tuned (with TuneECU/dyno/gas analyzer) and the tuner told me that the bike with the '07-08 akra map, leo vince slip on with baffles, an SW7 intake, and SAS/SAI removed, was lean at high RPM. I picked up 10hp over the Akra map once tuned and the bike runs smoother, better mileage, and runs up to redline much harder and with a less buzzy feeling.

I have a TuneECU cable and downloaded the map to my laptop last weekend to see what it looks like. PM me if interested in details!! I'm in San Francisco and happy to share experiences getting these '07-08 bike running right.

As a side note, I sure wish there was a Power-Tripp map for these early FI bikes - he seems to have spent the most time of any of the known tuners thoroughly developing F, L, and I map updates for the newer bikes, and he uses a more advanced dyno with a brake. But oh well - it was a bit of a pain and $$ but my bike runs decent now.
  17. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can somebody tell me what causes the random hiccups that my 990 is experiencing? They seem out of the blue and difficult to repeat. Also, I'm running powertrip akra map and it seems that it deteriorates over time. Sort of like it's getting leaner over time. I reloaded the map then went on a 3 hour ride last weekend. Bike ran decent on the first half and then went to crap. Was getting lots of hiccups on the way home.

Mods are sw7 intake, custom aftermarket exhaust, sai removed,

still has the canisters in place
  18. JoeMongo

Oddometer:

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for the response and the information!

Your concern about the differences in the cam timing between the two vintages of 990 are why I copied the F, L, 2nd throttle, and F-L switches into the 07/08 Akra map, so that I would have the correct ignition advance maps for both high octane, as well as Baja milk jug fuel (aka: low octane).

The four maps that I copied into my test maps should be entirely, or nearly entirely, independent of cam timing. After all, I've owned bikes that run the fuel injectors as a percentage of full time duty cycle, not just during intake. They seem to work fine that way, and since the 990 injectors are also well above the valves, they probably do the same. I haven't found out if that is the case, but since it seems likely, then the fuel maps are probably pretty portable across full production run of 990 motors. I could be wrong though.

All that said, I finished a tank of gas in the bike using the Power-Trip tune based maps pasted into the 07/08 OEM Akra tune (with O2 on), and had some interesting results.

Fuel usage was rather high, at about 23 mpg. I had gotten almost 40 mpg using the OEM Akra map with O2 turned off. I suspect that this means that I can go quite a bit leaner, someplace, or even many places in the map. But where? Need a good dyno-tuner to tell me if I want to be certain.

Second, the throttle snatch at the transition from zero throttle to open throttle was still very severe with that tune. I decided by the end of my test that I could live with it, especially as it should slowly get better as the ECU learned the motor's response.

So last night I installed a new tune that I made by pasting the moto-trek maps (same four: F, L, 2nd throttle, and F-L switch) into the 07/08 OEM Akra tune.

HOLY Monkey Fighting Batman, Boy Wonder!!!

Throttle snatch at the closed throttle transition has almost left the building! Throttle is smooth and predictable all the way up the RPM range, no matter what the load is! This is starting to feel like a high displacement, high torque, light flywheel V-Twin should feel. It revs into redline almost too easily. I am only distracted by having to pay attention to my rear view mirrors in case I am attracting the wrong type of attention. I don't need a performance award. That would put a crimp on my future dyno-tune budget.

All this means that I am more than a little concerned. This is the first time that I have ridden this bike with it running even remotely properly. I am worried about the safety of the motor (mostly because of the magnitude of the differences) so I am a little afraid to take it out anywhere at meaningful speed (engine load) in case I burn my exhaust valves or melt a hole in my piston crown. So I will be parking it until I get a feel for things. There are places where the F map that I had in it yesterday, and the map in it today, differ by up to 14 percent. Some of those places are possibly influenced by the fact that those same RPM regions have a dip in the 2nd throttle openings compared to the richer map.

This is starting to give me a headache, but at least the motor still runs, and in fact runs better than I ever expected it could. Now just to do some due diligence to verify that I'm not going to break it. If I was a risk taker, I'd just run with it the way it is, but I'm more of a belt and suspenders kind of person.

Having looked at the differences between the two maps sets, in the region of my major throttle snatch, I see two significant differences, but I am a motor tuning idiot, so I won't make any public comments. I'm almost certainly just confused. I would like to compare these to another map that works, especially if it is for an 07/08 vintage bike! Tony, our bikes are essentially identical in intake and exhaust, even if they have different logos on the products. I'll be sending you a PM! I could use some reference data as well as your recommendations regarding your tuner. Thanks again.
    J.
  19. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Tps set correct, throttle bodies balanced?
    When you reload a map some value's are reset, a 15 min idle relearns those value's but when you start driving those value's are reviewed and adapted by the ecu overtime. So that can explain why it first runs "ok" and after a while nok
    Make sure everything is set ok.
  20. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have checked the tps sensor settings in tune ecu and they are nearly identical. Will need to balance the throttle bodies. My bike only has 2800 miles. Doesn't ktm balance them at the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk