Tent Space Map

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by stevejonesmo, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this list together. It's great, and I'm using it to plan a trip I'm taking next week.

Wanted to let you know that Number8teen is no longer living in Milwaukee, so that entry is invalid.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like she edited her post just yesterday. Her new location will show up the next time Steve does an update to the maps.

Thanks!

Jamie
  3. HellCat650

HellCat650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job guys...:clap
  4. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've hosted to folks in Boise in the last month or so. It's been great to meet other ADV Riders and to talk shop. If you're considering signing up, I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for setting up this thread--this is amazing! :beer
  5. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve and everyone else involve for a fantastic job and ideas.:thumb
  6. andyhol

andyhol volcano rider

Oddometer:
    I just added my name and place to the list.
    It must take alot of work to keep on top of things, well done chaps
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Through the work of volunteers on the Tent Space Double Check project, I'm pleased to announce that the Tent Space Maps are guaranteed 90% up-to-date. :clap

[​IMG]

This compares to a few months ago when Steve first published his maps, almost 90% of the entries on the map were more than a year old, and many of them four, five, and even six years old.

By attempting to contact every inmate who's put his or her name on the Tent Space list, we've removed roughly 1/3 who failed to respond (A number far lower than my initial prediction). The remaining 700-odd people on the List checked and/or updated their listings to make them accurate and the data on the map reflect the efforts of the Double Check team.

I've very proud of the people who have been working on the project, and thankful for the many hundreds of ADV inmates around the world who have opened up their homes and continued to offer places for fellow travelers to stay.

The Double Check project team will continue to work to keep the Tent Space maps perpetually up-to-date and I can say with confidence that the people on the Tent Space list have been enthusiastic about hosting more travelers.

Jamie
    Lone Stranger likes this.
  8. AlpineGuerrilla

AlpineGuerrilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your hard work keeping this alive. I have not yet had the chance to actually use it, but surely will, once I ride through an area where there are people on the list. :freaky

What about a thread where people report on their experiences? A photo of the host and guest when the Tent Space was shared? Could be fun.
  9. the kawasaki kid

the kawasaki kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who made this possible.
  10. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread and it's awesome! How up to date are the listings?
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Look at post 47.
  12. stevejonesmo

stevejonesmo Rookie old fart

Oddometer:
    Missouri. Ozarks ain't Rockies, but they'll do.
    The map and its embedded index is rarely more than a week or two behind - usually less. You can always see the date it was generated by opening the map and looking at the top of the data window on the left. As I type this it says "5Nov2012" because I updated it today.

The data that is used in the map is taken from the signup thread. Well over 90% of those entries have been checked and confirmed in recent months. Thanks to the system Jamie has put together and the efforts of his team of volunteers, that number is likely to approach and hover near 100% on into the future.

Adds, changes, deletions and confirmations of offers are all current and reflected in the map as of the date the map is generated - though each entry is dependent on the original inmate making the offer. If they don't check their PM's, or move without updating their offer, or whatever, the map can't really reflect that until the next time the offer is confirmed - which should be at least annually.

So to answer your question, the listings are VERY up to date. Glad you like the thread!
  13. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As of today, that number is just over 98%. :beer
  14. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical...

Oddometer:
    This is just great! Using this to plan my trip to Panama. Thank you so much for all the hard work! Looking forward to meeting adv people... Can't wait to have a place so I can add my own name to the list.
  15. steinbeisser

steinbeisser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi!

wow, thats amazing!! we are on our rtw now in mexico, heading to the us. thats will be make it much better and easier!!

cheers guys and thanks for this!!

heidi and bernd

www.welt-tour.com
  16. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    Two quick things -

The map has just been updated. It had been about a month, much longer than I normally intend. The delay had been partially due to some holiday travel, but also due to an error that crept into my update process. That error has been corrected.

If you happen to notice the map hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks, feel free to remind me.

I have returned to generating the default map in one file covering the whole globe. The Double Check Project cleaned out enough dead wood that we are down around 850 entries. We won't have to split it into two files again until we get near 1000 entries, which runs us into a Google Maps limitation. The split files will still be updated and keep the same file names, so if anyone was linking to them they won't break and will remain current.

I have updated the original post of this thread to reflect these changes.
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Anyone use the Tent Space Map successfully on an iPhone?

In Tapatalk if I click on the link to the Map, I get a Google Map inside the Tapatalk app, but there are no Tent Space pins on the map. Occasionally I've gotten no map at all, but an invitation to download the Google Maps app from the App Store, which I already have.

If I open this thread in Safari and click on the Map link, Google opens in Safari with the Tent Space pins shown on the map as expected. At the top of the screen is a button to "Open in the Google Maps App." If I click on that, the Google Maps app opens, but I get an error screen reading "No results."

If I don't click on the "Open in the Google Maps App" button, I can scroll around the Google map, but I am unable to center it around my current location, even when pressing the center button. I can click on the pins, so this method does "work," but it's not ideal.

This is on an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.

Jamie
  18. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    I don't have one, but my wife does. She doesn't have tapatalk, but had the same problem browsing through safari with google maps that you had... but it worked fine browsing using the native apple maps app. Pins visible.
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to navigate to the Tent Space Map from the native Apple maps app.

Jamie
  20. Feyala

Feyala Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a droid, and what worked best for me was to download the .kmz file and open it in Google Earth. My browsers couldn't handle the map. Worth a shot!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.