New Raga

Discussion in 'Trials' started by mung, Jan 24, 2013.

1. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a new 12 300 Raga in December.Very pretty bike.Luckily I disassembled the bike before any attempts to start or ride.The hose clamps on the carb to reed block manifold were so tight it split the rubber,The hose clamp on the back of the carb was way over tightened and not on all the way around so it twisted the clamp and tore the rubber boot between carb and air box.The float bowl had a layer of tree sap looking stuff about 20 mm deep and the jets were so plugged I put new ones in.I quit working on it after I found all these problems.I asked the dealer to just assemble so I could take it home to set up.He has nothing to do with the problems.Gas Gas is a very beautiful bike with incredible components but has jack asses and idiots assembling the bikes at the factory.The importer knows about the problems so I will see what happens next.
  2. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll want to check the float height, too. Both of my bikes they were set a bit high and fuel would leak out, and they tended to stall.

Also, if you're mechanically inclined, it might be worth taking the entire brake system apart to clean it (if it has Formula brakes there are some other things you can do to update them at the same time). It is well established that the rear brake master cylinders are particularly prone to "blowing" seals after a short time. This from crud that isn't cleaned out on assembly, then abrades the cup seal.

Minor issues, don't let them stop you from enjoying that NEW BIKE smell!!!
  4. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    First off the dealer is supposed to be setting up the bike! Secondly is this your first spainish bike. It seems I`ve seen your comments before so I doubt it. The intake manifold baffles me as I can`t remember that on a new bike. The gunk in the carb is just old fuel. The inlet to the carb has always sucked! These are minor things! I`ve seen bikes not shift or not run, which is a lot worse. Have you had a pro before? Not being smart, the pro`s quality has always sucked but they sure work good when running.
    I checked and saw you had an `04 raga. I thought I`d remembered that! Seems the `04 that my son rides the inlet boot fits better than the newer one`s! Hopefully you have the old bike still so you can steal the master cylinders if need be. Buying a Pro has always been a crap shoot. Either you have a good one or a money pit! Take it you got it from Carlton. Both Gas Gas and Sherco are in a mess with the formula stuff. Check out the top riders bikes, most have stole the Ajp`s off their old bikes!
    Hope things work out! Good thing you did go over it good though!
    So are you as anal as me? Anti-sieze on every spoke nipple. (Only if I plan on keeping a bike).
  6. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    First new Bultaco in 69,others in 71,73 and 75,new Gassers in 95,04 and now 12.Disassemble every new bike [maybe 50 ] down to the frame and put together myself.This is the first bike sold by our new dealer so not to pat my back but in this case I have a little more experience than he does.Luckily mine came with AJP stuff. The rear brake line is to short[that is being replaced]so hopefully the brakes will work decent.To even start,the bike would have had to have been disassembled.I know what the substance was in the carb. GG must use burro pee to test start the bikes at the factory because carb cleaner did not even touch this stuff. The dealer should not have to take a bike apart to get it to run.With a bike this specialized and expensive a tiny amount of tlc would have been nice.Actually I bought the bike from a new dealer in Mud Lake,Idaho.
  7. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the Raga's come with AJP (braketec) Hydro's. They have had some poor quality control issues that the dealers end up fixing - Like the formula issues on the Std and Race bike last year. (which was worse as its related to the design)

Since Mung is an experienced mechanic - I think I would rather just get the parts and do it myself to make sure everything is done right. I highly recommend checking the masters for burrs when you flush the lines. Have had to hone several.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I figured out `Mung` this morning. I just added to my post than deleting it. Would be a great week to ride in arizona. Smage, Storz, Roper and many others getting some winter practice! Our two top riders are heading over tonight. Wish I was 18 again!:D
  9. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer said he would give me all the parts to assemble.I was assuming that the move back to AJP meant that the past problems were taken care of? Where are the "burrs" located ?
  10. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vent ports in the Master Cylinders have burrs and take out the seal over time. Rear MC had a high fail rate on 1st couple bikes and customers were losing there rear brake. One guy narrowly avoided a bad fall. Fixed after a quick hone and clean and new rebuild kit. Since then, on other bikes, he checks them right away. He told me that since you cant easily see the Burrs, he drags a Q-tip across the port inside the cylinder and if anything snags - he hones it. The honed ones feel perfect - nothing snags.
  11. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Is poor quality control exclusively a GasGas thing? Has it always been that way, or is it a recent development?

I understand that these are minor issues, but I wouldn't want to have to do repair work before even riding my brand new bike. It annoys me enough to have to disassemble and properly grease (with just about any new bike), but disassembling the braking system is too much IMO.

That said, the fact that folks are willing to do it and even defend it speaks volumes about how good the bikes must be when working properly. I'm going to have to give one a try at some point.
  12. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the GG factory in Catalonia has seen some major employee turnover in the last year and as a result, we have been seeing some issues (cost savings??/unskilled labor ??). Typically, these items are all covered by the dealer and Importer in the USA. Sometimes, with veteran buyers/mechanics, the dealer will allow the buyer to handle the issues in return for good faith down the road - this is the exception, not the norm. The dealer Im associated with inspected and repaired all the hydraulic problems after the 1st bike developed problems. He went through 6 all together. He replaced all the rear brake hoses as well. He buys Raga bikes for himself as well - so really gets to know the product and any quality issues. Im sure if Mung wanted his dealer to take the bike back and fix it - he would w/o any issue.

All dirt bikes have problems and issues now and then. I think the bigger issues are the ones associated with the design and cant be fixed with readily available replacement parts. Luckily, thats not the case with the Ragas. (as far as I know anyway)

Regardless - your right - after spending $8k on a bike, you should only be struggling with finding enough time to ride it. The riders who buy Raga bikes do have a passion for them, and in the past, have not sent bikes back. (that I know of ) Again - these are not design issues, so I think that plays into it as well.
  13. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, things are looking up.Recieved a box of parts from the importer and a longer rear brake hose [Venhill] from a dealer. Waiting for a stiffer rear spring from Jacks and the bike should be able to be put back together.Rear brake bled easily.Now I can at least look at the bike without getting wound up.
  14. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Mung, if you dont mind me asking, what is your weight?
    How much is the spring for the reiger?

I weigh 210 (203 on house scale) I have NOT added springs for front forks, nor rear shock. What class you ride now?

I feel like I ride better now without stiff suspension. just wondering how you made your decisions to stiffen things up, thanks.
  15. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 250 r2r.Took Stu at Jacks Cycle advice on the spring.7 is stock spring in rear and he tried a 7.5 on his bike and he weighs 220 and thought it was slightly stiff so he thought a 7.5 would be good for me.No fork springs other than stock for front so will try them stock and if I have to I can mess with oil weight and height.Reiger spring is like $160 or so new.Stu had used this one for an hour so it was basically worn out so he gave me a good deal on it.I ride SR intermediate but have not ridden consistantly since about 05.This year I plan to change that.I have the Utah and Wyoming events already marked on my calender.
  16. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you will like the 7.5 spring. At 250, that extra spring will give the bike back its proper geometry and feel. At 210 a dont think a good rider would benefit from the change from stock. Also - I think the stock spring on the 2011 raga was a 6.8 (its printed on the spring)
  17. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I was at dam close to 280 not long ago, just FYI. I almost miss the traction I used to have (LOL). as I lost weight, I noticed that what I had done to my bikes in the past all of a sudden causing me not so much trouble, but I could feel the 'problems' with stiff springs.

I agree with you, ya might want the stiffer rear spring, I was just making sure because at 220 and below, I could definitely say stiff springs were causing me trouble.... What I felt was, instead of the tires being allowed to compress the forks and rear shocks, they would stop on the rocks (not the big ones, the ones you wouldn't notice as much, unless it was slicker than heck probably).

It was a muddy trials and new lower weight totals, that had me headed home to revert back to stock suspension asap, when I was probably at 230ish or 235... because the front tire (without (pat my own back here) really good technique to unweigh both tires as they rode over these bowling ball rocks, in the middle of tight turns, stuff like that) Now softer springs, I "seem" to glide over almost without working at it. Still I know some had to just do with gravity totals, and I'd be able to tell you if I get back to 280 again, if It feels different again, which I wont do... :1drink)
  18. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a box of new parts and a few [ok lots]of hours of disassembly and assembly the bike is sitting there complete and ready to go.To bad it is 8 degrees and snowing.Grease was very thin and poor quality in steering head,linkage and swing arm.Changed the fork oil and used a little heavier[7 wt] than stock and raised the oil level 5 mm in each leg.There were plenty of aluminum chips in the stock fork oil so it was probably a good idea to flush them.Bike is beautiful to look at but really my only complaint now other than poor set up from the factory is the mish mash of bolts and nuts they use. My KTMs use 8,10 and 13 and you have everything you need.Working on the Raga it seems like you need a large pile of tools to get anything done.Example is the the sidestand.It needs to be removed to replace the rear brake line.Three allen bolts hold it on.One head is 4 mm,another is 5 mm and guess what-the other is 6 mm.That is unreasonable.Luckily the bike is gorgeous and so far has made a great garage ornament.Two weeks till the first trials.
  19. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no pictures? :D