Replacement for Honda XR650L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dudley, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent this to Honda via my dealer...

Replacement Motorcycle for the Honda XR650L

The Honda is a terrific motorcycle but being a little long in tooth, its time for a redue. I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip in Mexico on the XR. We road 3106 miles with all types of riding represented. Off road and dirt roads made up about 1/3 with the balance on pavement. I estimate 750 miles of serious mountain riding. The Honda handled all roads and all but the highest speeds (over 70 mph because of the way I loaded the bike) like a pro.

While on the road I had time to reflect on the XR and thought of what a new generation XR should be. I came up with the following...

1. Single cylinder 650cc air cooled with 50-60 hp. Air to keep the weight down and for reliabilty.
    2. Carbs and minimum 50 mpg with no air pump etc. I believe Honda has the technology to accomplish 1&2 with no problem.
    3. 3 quarts of oil at a minimum.
    4. Oil cooler.
    5. Highest octane to be 87, with the capabilty to use fuel from questionable sources depending on where the bike is in the world.
    6. Electric and kick starters.
    7. Able to operate without a battery, like it does now.
    8. 5 spd gearbox, for strength, and better gear ratios.
    9. Heavy duty subframe, to be able to pack saddle bags along with all the gear necessary for an extended road adventure.
    10. Keep the serious off road and on road usability ie; the same ground clearance, rework the ergonomics for operating the bike sitting or standing.
    11. upgrade the suspension.
    12. Enlarge the front brake.
    13. A larger stock fuel tank, 4-6 gals.
    14. Use the higest quality components ie; handle bars, foot pegs, etc.
    15. Keep the cable operated clutch.
    16.Add a tachometer, this is really minor.
    17. keep the weight as close to 300 lbs as possible.

Keep this bike simple for reliabilty and ease of maintenance and price it under$7000. and I beleive Honda will have a killer machine and will clean up in the dual sport category.

The D Man
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I and about 10 gagillion people who now have or want that bike agree with you. Only I'd say slight above the weight of a CRF450 while we are all dreaming. I think they could do what you spec out there at about 250~260lbs honestly. Can you imagine how fun a XR650R that weighs an honest 260 wet would run like with 60rwhP! WOW! The perfect motorcycle!
  3. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I agree with you completely. I have an XRL too and want that bike. But, some of those things would be impossible. Getting an air-cooled bike to that level of HP, which is about 100 hp/liter is possible, but difficult. Doing so with low compression is even harder. Getting it to do so and still meet EPA would probably kill the brief.

My wish list:

600 - 650 ccs
    Water cooling
    45 - 50 HP stock
    Heavy rotating engine mass
    9:1 (or thereabouts) compression for low octane fuel
    XR level reliability, not CRF level
    Sub-300 lbs with fluids at MOST, 280 as goal
    E-start
    USD forks w/ performance internals
    Good shock
    BETTER ERGOS
    3 - 4 gallon tank, or 120 - 150 mile range
    More narrow than current L
    Big alt or stator to power GPS or heated clothes
    No fairing

This is basically an updated XR650R.

BP
  4. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you want an easy-to-work-on Husqvarna TE610 with Honda detail and reliability, except for some reason you're allergic to liquid cooling and 6-speed transmissions. If something has to go, I'll gladly give up the electric start for a 6-speed.

I would be thrilled with the existing BRP if they made it street legal, jacked up the stator output, reinforced the sub frame, and added a 6-speed. But realistically, I think Honda will have to go to FI to pass emissions regs.
  5. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of reliability in the field. In Mexico a new BMW G650 X Challenge had a battery fail and he was stuck. Thanks to the XR we donated my bat so he could run and I road merrily along except for the bump starts.
    The D Man
  6. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    D-man, it's possible to design FI that runs without a battery, but Honda probably wouldn't do it that way, so I see your point. I really like your idea of keeping a kick starter even with e-start. Trying to bump start a 650 on soft surfaces is asking for a heart attack.
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid you aren't going to get a light, reliable 60hp air cooled single unless there is some major revolution in technology. I kinda like the simplicity of air cooling, but it is pretty limited what you can do with it reliabily. Liqued isn't an issue and will probably save weight for a given power output. Otherwise I'm with you! I really wouldn't even mind a stone relaible 40hp air cooled motor in a modern chassis with real (i.e. mx spec) components.
  8. thunderlog

thunderlog Beemer Pilot

Oddometer:
    I think if anything you'll see a leaning towards the xr650r with FI ; emissions are driving this. other than the battery and the $$$$ you cant beat the TE610 . its really a good bike.
  9. kay

kay Mobilekay

Oddometer:
  10. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please make that a 350-400cc high revving twin (any configuration) with a 6 or 7 speed box.
    I guess it really is true - you just can't please everybody!
  11. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a xrl that I really like. I have a bunch of after market parts to make it do alot of different rides. I am planning tp get another bike for next year with alot of the things your talking about. I think if the tenere does not come to the states. I am going to have to find a 2007 ktm 640. Second choice will be a 690 with some type of fairing and extra fuel tank. Ben
  12. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get the KTM, get a large supply of locktite to go with it. They are shakers.
  13. osbo

osbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would think for little cost Honda could build the XR650R into a great dual sport bike. Add an electric starter and DOT stuff. Doesnt their new ATV 650cc plus have the old XR650R engine but an electric starter?
  14. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it looks pretty similar, 686cc, e-start, FI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just gotta get the whole FI setup and fit it to a XRR :)

To the OP, it does sound like you want a XRR minus water cooling.
  15. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    I have had no issues with the water cooled XR650R after I switched to Evans coolant. :clap
  16. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    I've heard they are available in Australia in street legal form.
  17. myerss

myerss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda probably will never build a bike that meets our "perfect criteria" because overall it would narrow it's appeal to the general market, thus reducing sales and profit margin. This is the same reason why it will never have a kick start and a button, aluminum bars stock, 6 gallon tank, etc, because these things drive up cost and in general don't help sell units.
  18. zebra03

zebra03 Banned

Oddometer:
    My .02 's worth , lower seat height . 32" or lower .
  19. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    ...Expect the thing to sell for 0ver $10,000.
    How many Thumpers do you think would sell for $10,000 ?
  20. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Up until a few years ago when Honda Australia stopped importing them there was.

Had a steel sub frame and a few other changes as well.

I think one of the Euro countries had a street legal XR650R with electric start.