KLRsys build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by KLRsys, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Looks great!. Hope you get to shake it down a bit before the trip.
  2. vtwinwilly

vtwinwilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the shake down might be the 350 mile ride from McKinney to Amarillo. If it makes it that far, it should be good for the whole trip! (Knocking on wood):thumb
  3. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting down to the wire in more ways than one.

[​IMG]
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    :eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1
  5. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    WOW, Does it really need all of those wires ? Or is that the KLR and the Versys wire harness being combined ?
  6. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is just the Versys wiring and yes, it needs it all thanks to being fuel injected. I don't use any of the KLR wiring other than a few lighting connectors.
  7. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking a little less hairy now. That last picture was from two evenings ago, this one from last night. I'm hoping to ride it this evening. :D I only have today and tomorrow to finish, vtwinwilly will be here in a few hours and he's taking it back with him in two days. We leave on our trip a week from tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Daeouse likes this.
  8. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Please post up dates from time to time while on your trip. It would be fun for those of us who have been following your builds to keep up with your progress.. And/or a link to the ride report. Thanks.:D
  9. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will post updates here but I suspect vtwinwilly will also start a ride report in the appropriate forum.

We made some serious progress on the bike. It's running although we haven't ridden it yet, that will happen in the morning. All that's left is grips, hand guards, mount the cruise control switches and make a skid plate. Piece of cake. :wink:

[​IMG]
    Daeouse likes this.
  10. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    You would have to know KLR's to know it was not a new stock bike. Excellent craftsmanship!!!
  11. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's done! Started right up the first try, willy took it for a few test rides, everything worked, no glitches. We finished everything on the list with no time to spare.

[​IMG]
    Daeouse likes this.
  12. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
    ~

Outstanding! That thing is gorgeous! :clap

So what's the plan now? You guys going riding today for a shakedown run? Not sure if I can head that way, but I'm trying to get free for a ride and heading down your way might just be the ticket! :D

Dallara

~
  13. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We may ride to the store to get some tie downs but that's it. Willy's heading back to McKinney today, he wants to be on the road by 11am at the latest. I'll be in the shop prepping the 09 bike for the trip. It still needs a skid plate, cruise control, panniers and trunk. I'm hoping I can get all that done by the end of tomorrow because I still need to get all my gear together, I haven't started packing at all.
  14. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's amazing to me how many people do not notice the motor swap. My '05 bike has black headers which make it even more stealthy. I had another KLR rider come up and comment "I see you got the oversized front brake rotor, how do you like it?" and thinking "That's all you noticed!!"
  15. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did such a great job on that, from start to finish, WTG!!!!! :clap
  16. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Sounds like you guys have a full plate then, and you don't need me there in the middle of it slowing you down. I really wanted to see this latest build up close, especially since it's my favorite KLR color-combo (just like my '03), but alas it looks like it was not to be.

I'll just have to get down there to see your '09 after you get back.

Again, as always, kudos to you for building one of the most amazing bikes on the planet, and especially for making it look so *factory*. Nobody does it better.

Have a great trip, take care, and ride safe!!! :thumb

Dallara

~
  17. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    excellent build. travel safe and make more!:D
  18. vtwinwilly

vtwinwilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the latest masterpiece out of the KRLsys garage has made it back to my place in North Texas. I thought I'd post an update for those that have been following this build.

First off, I can never find the words to express my gratitude to KLRsys for the amount time, dedication, and general TLC he put into building this bike. So to Fritz (aka, KLRsys) my friend, a huge, huge Thank You! I don't know how this one ever gets repaid.

For those that have been thinking of visiting the KLRsys garage, I recommend it. You just can't appreciate the level of effort it takes to build one until you've been there and seen it yourself. The number of custom fabricated parts is significant, and each one requires care and attention to detail to get it right.

Speaking of getting it right. Here's the most impressive thing. I went to test ride the bike for the first time. ... and when I say "first time" I mean the very first time. No one had ridden the bike at all. It fired right up, then ran and rode perfectly. On this first ride I just wanted to stay close to the garage so I rode a few miles within the confines of the neighborhood. If something were to go wrong, I didn't want to have to push it too far to get it home. ... but nothing went wrong. Nothing! Zilch! Nada! No problems at all! No clacks, clinks or grinds. No wobbles or weird feelings. No electrical issues. No leaks. It worked perfectly right out of the box! I rode back to the garage and WE ADJUSTED NOTHING!!! It was perfect the way it was.

... again, I was mighty impressed!

After the test ride KLRsys and I went back to work finishing up the last few items on the list. Adding new grips, taller windshield, mounting the cruise control panel, and the most difficult... fabricating a skid plate.

It was working with KLRsys on the skid plate that I started to fully understand and appreciate the amount of time and attention to detail that goes into the custom fabrication on this bike. ... and there is a lot of it (did I say that already?). We finished up working on it just after midnight on Saturday morning. 42 days from start to finish.

Now I've got to get the bike packed up, prepped and ready for what is the shake down trip of a lifetime. The Barely Alaska Ride. I was really hoping to have more time in the saddle before we left on this trip, but as it stands, I've only put about 8 miles on the bike since build completion.

You know, I was just goofin when I said the shake down cruise would be the 350 mile section of the Barely Alaska Ride from my house to Amarillo, but it's looking like that may be the case.

... One last note, and surely the most important!
    I want to extent a very special thank you to Mrs. KLRsys. Without her support and encouragement none of this would have been possible. I want to thank her for all the evenings she gave up with her husband while he worked on a bike for me. I want to thank her for the times she was running errands for KLRsys while he worked on a bike for me. Mrs KLRsys your sacrifice is recognized and deeply appreciated.
    GreyZuk likes this.
  19. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Aah....8 mile shakedown? Good to go. No leaks. No vibrations. Hey. It's not like you are going to Alaska. Oh, wait. You are. My bad. ;)

Y'all have a great time and enjoy! Fritz. As always I am in awe of your dedication to craftsmanship and attention to detail.
  20. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truly amazing!