full face helmets fogging: advise need

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by amk, Jul 13, 2009.

1. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to wear open face (3/4) helmets. Because of an accident I purchased full face, Shoei RF-1000. I do feel its quality, I do feel noise reduction, and it is the perfect fit, when it is pulled on. However I feel some discomfort as well. It fogs easy, as the temperature drops, there is nothing I can do, but open it a bit, which is not a good option due to noise increase and eye watering (a health problem). Can you advise something? I have tried various creams on the shield, they all works but they are far away from perfection, non of them lasts, all of them do more or less vision distortion. I am looking for something which allows keeping the visor in full down position without fogging it in low temperatures, but creams.
    The second one. Wearing it I feel as I am an astronaut, not as an “easy rider”, if you get my drift. Is there any type of helmet around which provides similar to full face type face and head protection, but does not isolate the rider from environment as effectively as the full face type does? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    For the fogging, try a Pinlock HERE or a FogCity HERE insert.

I prefer the FogCity but am currently using a Pinlock since FogCity doesn't make an insert for the Arai XD. They both work extremely well.
  3. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    PINLOCK. problem solved, period.
  4. monkeyfez

monkeyfez Enabler....

Oddometer:
    what they said. either works incredibly well.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pinlock.
  6. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded from my Scorpion EXO400 to a Shoei RF1000, and I ordered it with the optional Pinlock visor, as everything I had read warned of the fogging issue. The other day I swapped back on the original visor, which I had never used, and it was great all day until we had a little rain and cold temperatures, and then it fogged right up. My Scorpion fogged rarely, as it had a treated visor from the factory, but the Pinlock is even better. You get used to the more compact field of view, and the actual lines of the inner clear seal aren't too distracting, as you are focusing on distance and not something so close.
    As for the astronaut feeling, I will gladly look like Neil Armstrong (I just dated myself) rather than have my head split open like a pumpkin if I ever do hit something.
  7. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    I had a Fogcity on my RF1000 for the beginning of my last road trip... It worked reasonably well, but it scratches VERY VERY easily. We ran into a steady stream of mist allll day long and I got tiny droplets of water on the whole inside of the visor and in trying to wipe them off scratched the fogcity so badly I had to remove it. So it does work, but I wouldn't spend the money on another one... I just kept the visor cracked... Didn't bother me in 30* weather. If you're used to having wind blowing around, keeping the visor cracked slightly might not bother you at all anyway... Cheapest thing to try at least... :evil
  8. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    cracking the shield a tiny bit always works for me, and if i have the rear vents open on the helmet i find that's all i need. bigger crack needed at lower speeds, smaller crack needed at higher speeds.

noise? with earplugs, how much more noise could you have with a FF helmet than you had with a 3/4? frankly, i find that the reduced wind noise from a FF helmet results in a *better* awareness of what's going on around me than what i have wearing any lesser coverage. (i'm certainly not as isolated from what's going on as those that are encapsulated in a cage.)

just curious; you say you have eye watering problems with the shield cracked on a FF helmet; what did you do with your 3/4 helmets that worked for you?

FWIW, i typically use a pair of sunglasses under a clear shield, so could open the shield all the way (and frequently do at lower speeds) if necessary to clear things and still have physical eye protection.

cheers!
    e

9. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Pinlock
  10. Dolanator

Dolanator n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an RF 1000 as well and I have tried both the Fog City and the Pinlock. The Fog City is less expensive initially, but scratches way too easily and had to be replaced after a short time. The Pinlock requires that you buy a whole new visor, but I have been using one insert for over two years.

-Chris
  11. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I am using a Pinlock shield in a new C3 and it does work ... but if you want a simple effective way without adding another layer try Scott's Anti-fog cleaner, http://scottusa.com/product/3281/16741/anti_fog_cleaner It works with very little maintenance and no distortion or halation.
  12. MossBack

MossBack North side of the tree

Oddometer:

+1
  13. peterhively

peterhively Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. jstcrashnthru

jstcrashnthru Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    +1

I just fold mine in half and put in one of my jacket pockets. It's always handy when I need it. Been using one for a few years now. Works great.
  15. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheapest fix I've ever seen. Go to any store that sells trial sized cans of foam, (not gel), shave cream, smear some on the inside of offending visor with fingers. Buff with micro fiber cloth of your choosing until clear. Works for days..repeat.

PS, lowers your helmet stinkorama factor considerably.

Costs bout $1.00
  16. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    use it on both my helmets

other solutions are temporary and a waste of time. do it right, do it once.
  17. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    From my understanding, Pinlock shields do have an anti-fog coating on the inside, no? Now do any of you wear glasses when riding? Do they ever fog up in rain? I do and mine do. That's how I came to use Scott AntiFog cleaner on non Pinlock shields, and why I carry it with me even when I'm wearing a Pinlock. Pinlock's are good but they're not the end all cure for those cold wet days.
  18. PriapismSD

PriapismSD Apply orally

Oddometer:
    I swear by the Respro also. I tried various shield liners and coatings, but even if they worked (unlike stuff like Cat Crap, etc), you have to prep each shield you use, and they do nothing to keep my eyeglasses from fogging up.

I use the Respro year round, even in the hot summer months, as it keeps the annoying wind from coming up into my eyes. Takes a little trial and error to fit, as you want the height of the nose piece not so high it interferes with your glasses, but not so low the plastic tab is below your bridge and closes your nostrils. And then adjust the side wings far enough out that it seals snug against sides of nose so air won't come up, but not so far out you have a red mark across your face for an hour after you take the helmet off. But after a couple tries, it doesn't take any more tweaking and I hate using any of my spare helmets that don't have one. Only thing you have to get used to is lifting the nose with a finger as you pull the helmet off so it doesn't ride up your face.

Makes it hard to talk to people when you are wearing a helmet, but there isn't anyone I feel the need to talk to then...
  19. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    What about other than full face helmets? Something which works similar safety wise, but does not isolates from the environment. 3/4 helmets are great, but they are unsafe, know that the hard way.<o:p></o:p>
  20. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    For me the best of both worlds is a flip up lid. I'm using one that is quieter than my old Arai RX-7 full face and yet easily allows me to flip up at a stop or even low speed riding. It really is nice to flip and converse or get some air without having to get the glasses off, unbuckle and pull off knowing you've got to do the reverse in a moment to put it all back on! Down side is it's a Schuberth C3 and you've got to get them in Europe and they're pricey. If you ride with ear plugs there are quite a few others that are less $$$ and at least one that converts, I believe, to a 3/4.