R80G/S No Power

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Babyface610, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Babyface610

Babyface610 Hoss

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this has come up before but I've not been able to find the right thread. I'm new to Airheads and have a 1981 R80G/S that's been sitting for at least 5 years. I put a new battery and get power to the headlight and taillight but no idiot lights and nothing happens when push starter button. Any help where to start looking would be appreciated. I was told the bike was running perfectly when it was mothballed. I belonged to another inmate Doug650 who passed away a few years ago.
  2. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the starter relay. Corrosion internally often breaks a braided copper wire inside it. If you have a test light you should have power at both red terminals even with key off. (Voltmeter won't help because you might not have enough juice)

Great resource for this sort of question is airheads@micapeak.com (it's free but you have to sign up)
  3. monashmick

monashmick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check the engine kill switch is in the run position
  4. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    hey buddy WE'RE a great resource :deal

well, I mean the royal we... these guys are, I'm just comic relief, really.

you get head and tail, but no idiot lights? I t does sound like the kill switch :D
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Wrong oil.

The dash lights and the starter relay are on the same power loop. Green/black IIRC. You are not getting power to that loop. Trace it from the connector board (where you should be getting juice off green from the ignition.). just follow it around on your wiring diagram with your meter.
    You meter will measure to millivolts--ie, a totally dead battery will read.