exhausted!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by alan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. alan

alan if the helmet fits..

Oddometer:
    I am looking out for an aftermarket (narrow) pipe and I was wondering if there has ever been any comparative testing between the expensive and the cheap offerings.
    I am guessing that the more established companies (Micron, Akro, Two Bros etc) would develop the product and increase power whereas smaller more cosmetic/budget companies may just roll their own universal end can then fabricate a connecting pipe without the same extensive testing?
    This would no doubt save weight and sound a lot better but is it worth [aying the extra for a known performance brand?
  2. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went for the Beowulf can as it was much cheaper than the established brands. I was mainly after weight savings and a nicer growl. In my previous experience with aftermarket cans, the performance is neglible and not worth the extra coin. I saved about $800Aus going for the beowulf instead of the bmw akro can. Though I would of also purchased a leo vince as well.
  3. alan

alan if the helmet fits..

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking too. The weight saving and less obtrusive size will be greater benefit than two extra bhp especially as you pay twice as much for the branded cans. Might be a different story if I was racing but 85 horses is enough for me
  4. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the Leo Vince. Got it from Bike Bandit for $399.00. Also if you get on the BB email listing they will send coupons now and then.

Love the Leo. I am more about the function than the bling.
  5. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    The Beowolf is awesome! On the less expensive side of thinks to. Great look, sweet growl and sleek design.
  6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I have the Two Brothers which I think is very reasonably priced compared to the Akrapovic.

Plus it is much lighter and sounds better and claims a couple of HP increase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just installed my carbon fiber Leo Vince from Renazco Racing yesterday. Much lighter than stock. Good sound, also. Great price (their price was the best) too!!!
  8. Renazco Racing Store

Renazco Racing Store Parts, Gear & Such

Oddometer:
    :clap Let's see it!
  9. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    After wrestling back and forth with a distributor about the definition of "in stock", I appreciated this thread's title. Long and short of it is I ordered a Beowulf black painted oval stainless "shortie" today.

Beowulf owners still happy?
  10. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ain't spent a flipping dime on exhaust. I like the stock exhaust. The sound ain't bad. It does not burn it's way through you luggage. I will save as much in pounds by getting a lithium battery. The increases in power and performance of aftermarket Exhaust exist only in your imagination. I won't ever have to repack it. Go ahead and flame me, truth has it's own reward. Spend your money on something useful. Dave
  12. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    I felt exactly the same until about 2 weeks ago. Don't know why after all these years I want a little more rumble. I don't believe for a second there is any performance change. Just looks and sound differences. That is one of the reasons I am interested in Beowulf...the price is somewhat reasonable.
  13. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    The main motivation for me to get an aftermarket exhaust is so I can fit a set of balanced pannier racks, such as those made by Holan and Metal Mule. That stock can is just too fat! :wink:
  14. Wicket009

Wicket009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was happy with the Beowulf shortie w/carbon tip, but my neighbors had a different opinion. Especially when I would leave for work at the crack of dawn. Even with the DB killer installed, it had to go to keep the peace. Huge weight savings and great value, but I am back to the stock can for now. Looking for other options and not interested in repacking. The Beowulf did seem to get much louder after 2000 miles or so. Looking at the Remus or Akro, but trying to justify the cost....
  15. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    Boy...thanks for the warning. I live in a townhouse community and leave very early as well. We'll see how this goes. Repacking needed already at 2,000 miles, huh?
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your not kidding.........
    [​IMG]

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  17. Wicket009

Wicket009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few others I ride with noticed it got louder over time as well. Didn't really bother me much, but I could tell the difference. I emailed Beowulf, but never got a response. I soon noticed a few other postings complaining about the same symptoms. As mentioned earlier, I would have kept the exhaust if it wasn't for a few upset neighbors at an HOA meeting.
  18. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    I am confused about this experience as mine (so far) has been so positive. I feel like I am being set up for a "he'll find out" moment but trust you inmates would give me the straight scoop. I haven't been able to Google very many negative comments and so I am not sure why these silencers aren't more popular. My experience so far...

1. Ordered online last weekend, direct from Beowulf, a powder coated black stainless steel exhaust pipe with removeable baffle for $287.20 (3/15/11 exchange rate including shipping from UK).
    2. I was e-mailed Monday about whether my link pipe should have 1 or 2 hooks on it. I answered and they said it would be "dispatched" Tuesday.
    3. I received the silencer Thursday!
    4. Fit and finish is beautiful - Took me 10 minutes to install.
    5. Sounds perfect with the baffle left in. Low tone and no backfiring.
    6. The Lifetime Guarantee supplied includes the verbiage "All the internal parts of the silencer are made from stainless steel and are also made in Halifax, West Yorkshire. The external parts of the silencer are made from stainless steel with exception of the sleeves of a carbon fibre can and a titanium can, these are made of carbon fibre and titanium respectively. All additional components, where applicable, supplied with your silencer are also covered by our lifetime guarantee. (Link pipe, clamps, hanger strap, bolts)"

No mention of packing whatsoever.

So to sum it up...a great looking, sounding, lighter, shorter, skinnier exhaust that fits perfectly for less money and recieved in record time.

Why aren't these selling like hot cakes? What am I missing?
  19. Numb

Numb Been here awhile

Oddometer:

good the stock can works for you... to me it's an abortion - overly huge given that it sounds like crap (read: got nothing going for it). I haven't replace mine yet but its in the future if I actually keep this bike more than a year

imclamore - i looked at the beowulf pipes, but one reason may be the endcap design they use. personally if I do finally spend money, i prefer the 'new' style endcaps on the LV and akro pipes - that may be partly the reason they aren't more popular (?)

...neighbors.... reason why once I get out of DC finally I'll be looking for acreage - I agree when living close to others you have to take them into account (that whole society-thing) but it sucks....
  20. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    "lmclamore - i looked at the beowulf pipes, but one reason may be the endcap design they use. personally if I do finally spend money, i prefer the 'new' style endcaps on the LV and akro pipes - that may be partly the reason they aren't more popular (?)"

That's funny Numb. The primary reason I found Beowulf was looking for a manufacturer that didn't have an endcap! I guess I'll always be sanding against the grain. You are probably right but aren't these endcaps a fairly new fad?