Riding an R1200GSA on NorCal's #2 Best Riders Road in the State!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DiamondLie, Jan 5, 2013.

1. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    A bucket list road if ever I have been on one. Gentle curves seen here but it tightens up considerably on the last 2/3 of the road. The engineering of the road is the real star, as well as the quality of the tarmac.

Enjoy...the detailed description I put on YouTube tells it all. This is about the first 1/3 of the 30 mile route in:

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC7IqNIA4R0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC7IqNIA4R0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  2. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Where is that?

What's the posted speed limit?

How fast were you going in the video?

It looked like the curves were mostly all pretty gentle and you were running 60-70? I only noticed 2 or 3 places where I saw a yellow sign marking a lower speed for a given curve.
  3. Rustykfd

Rustykfd IBA #483

Oddometer:
    That is the best road in N.Cal if you ask me. I have ridden DH#1 and it isn't near as much fun. If you continue that road west of Cecilville, it gets pretty interesting in a more adventurous way.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you had a fun ride.

The roads up in the Berkeley Hills are fun, too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nj18K2fkAOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful...not sure about #2 road in the state though in my opinion....not curvy enough.
  6. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if you were to live in California, you'd soon find that it is not easy to classify some of the god roads in a sequential order. If you do after extensive review, it would be too subjective.

I've ridden in the SFO Bay Area and SoCal, there are soo many breath taking roads with scenery and tight curves. Ride La Honda and Skyline at 8AM, and you will find yourself immersed in spectacular scenery while zipping through the clouds.

Topanga Canyon Rd, Malibu Canyon Road, off Mulholland Drive offers such scenery that one turn on the left will show you are above the clouds, and within minutes one turn to he right allows you to see the clear view of the valley. Just amazing views. There are several hairpin turns too!
  7. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done half dozen trips from Victoria BC to California,

For me Avenue of the Giants, then the turn off on the 1 at Leggett to Fort Bragg, continue South on the Coast and back East on the 20 to Willits.

You have it all: Giants trees, hairpins, Elevation at the pass, Coastal cliffs, Evergreen Forests, Wineries, and some rolling desert like terrain, all on beautiful grippy tarmac with no traffic. :clap:clap:clap:clap
  8. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice road. What happened at the end? It looks like the rear tire blew out?
  9. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have some fairly high speed limits there. :huh
  10. SHOELESS

SHOELESS Swine Pilot

Oddometer:
    Don't forget Angeles Crest Highway or Ortega..................
  11. flht_db

flht_db Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this route in the opposite direction heading north from San Fran through Sonoma to Willits. Then 20 to Ft Bragg up the coast then Avenue of the Giants. Great roads!!! Temp changes from 90 in Willits to 50's in Ft Bragg and fog city. Next time I rent a BMW not a Harley. :D:D
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed.....besides that, there are even better and more interesting roads around the interior of the state in my opinion.

Yes, beautiful road, nice gentle sweepers...
  13. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or the Angeles Forest HWY for that matter :evil
  14. Mad Kaw

Mad Kaw purveyor of fine BS

Oddometer:
    Ditto - I've ridden damn near everything in NorCal over the past 10 years...on every bike imaginable 1200GS, 70's superbikes, Goldwings, and a ZX14 with hardbags. The road from Leggett to Fort Bragg is as good as it gets anywhere in the continental USA. I've ridden that stretch at least half a dozen times...BOTH WAYSS. 20+ miles highly tortuous tarmac through the "Sherwood Forest" with little to zero traffic. It just doesn't get much better than this.
  15. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    This is only the first 1/3 of the 30 miles into C-Ville. Gentle sweepers for this part but it get's much tighter and curvy later. I didn't give the #2 rating. Straight out of the well-known 'Destination Highways' riding books. Check it out:

http://norcal.destinationhighways.com/active/dh/Wild_River/dh2.asp

Look up the route on Google Maps or Earth and see for yourself. Finding corners on this road is not a problem! :evil
  16. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Did you know that the state recently paved the road West of C-Ville? All the way up to Happy Camp you can follow the Salmon River (at MUCH slower speeds than I am running in my video...but beautiful nonetheless.) Any bike could make the trip all the way now, including full dress Harleys or Wings.
  17. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    Rather, there are riders who motor well in excess of the posted limits. That road has too many deer, bicyclists, and dog walkers for me to feel comfortable wicking it up as high as in the video. But it's nonetheless a very fun road - the bad pavement only adds to the challenge!
  18. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing they put a high priority on those two aspects in their rating, as would explain the result , otherwise I think there are much better roads for technical riding or scenery in that same area, let alone the entire state. Non the less, thanks for the video, it sure doesn't suck riding there :D

That video took me back to riding 600s to "The Wall", except I had to use a lot more RPMs than that S1000RR :lol3
  19. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm...Have ridden it back and forth three separate times and never once saw any deer, bicyclists or dog walkers. The engineering and quality of the pavement are beyond reproach. You simply cannot even be talking about the same place. :huh
  20. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I posted a vid from Grizzly Peak Blvd, up in the Berkeley/Oakland hills, a fun backyard riding spot with great curves and hills. Here's another one, better quality (shots of The Wall at 2:55, and again at 3:40):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K_UCyeHcKpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>