Beta RR /RS 4T enduro thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RICHXHELL, Feb 11, 2008.

1. CrankyCoyote

CrankyCoyote scud no more

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quotes, that's very helpful. One of the dealers here quoted me ~$400 USD for the rear and $3XX for the front - even with the US peso as depressed as it is, that's still almost a 2X markup. :eek1 Time to send some international emails, I think. I heard that the '08 hubs are different though, so maybe that's the reason for the markup.
  2. CrankyCoyote

Oddometer:
    Don't know if the cover is available anywhere, but the Beta "tall" seat was quite a bit more comfortable for me, and I'm the same height as you. Fit right on my '05, although I had to get the rear intake screen on the fender to make it look good.
  3. CrankyCoyote

Oddometer:
    Mine's touchy for sure, but it's not that bad once it warms up. I can usually get it into neutral when I want it to, although sometimes it takes a bit of nudging this way and that to get it.
  4. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    The RFS and 610 husky motors are famous for elusive neutral UNLESS the bike is rolling. Get in the habit of snickin it before stopping. Many miles till this trait is defeated, many, many miles.
  5. gladiator

gladiator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the clutch was a KTM specified unit. Beta's aren't that well known in S.Africa and it makes life easier to do the thinking for the dealers. Question, are the '08 plastics of a better quality than my '06's?
  6. gladiator

gladiator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try blipping the throttle as you are 'feeling' for the neutral recess. That should unload the gearbox for a split second and allow you to find it.
  7. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    What you have both said makes sense to me as the only time I did find it was waiting at lights on the road, of course I didnt know I had found it until I tried to pull away :doh

Pulling up to the lights I was going throught the box probably while rolling.
  8. Turbodeezul

Turbodeezul n00b

Oddometer:
    So, I pulled the trigger and went with the 525 RS Last night. :clap I don't think I've ever been this excited about a bike. Probably has a lot to do with the change in mentality of how I want to ride as well..... Now the interesting Part:wink:

I get home at the same time a buddy of mine comes over. Pull the truck up head in to find the wife. Hunt around the house. Look upstair and see the
    bedroom door closed, which usually means "Argument Time":puke1.

I go slinking up the stairs :bluduh. Open the door and she is balling her eyes out. I'm thinking I went a bit over the edge with the new bike.... Then I look again and there is "something different". Awquard pause...

She looks up and says... "Your going to be a Dad.":wings :freaky :bueller

Hell, went out to the garage this morning and realized.... I didn't even throw a leg over the new bike yet. Life is good.
    enduro16 likes this.
  9. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

:thumb

:wave

:D

Good news.........and GOOD NEWS!
  10. mcftw

mcftw hxc n33b

Oddometer:
    so what bike are you going to get for your child?!
  11. gladiator

gladiator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    congratulations......................................................................................................................................................................
    ..............................................With such a fine motorcycle, you will not even miss all the crap that goes along with parenthood. Enjoy. Remember to lube the chain every so often.
  12. gladiator

gladiator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help............. the other day someone submitted a picture/thread of a Beta Rally bike together with a relevent website. I cannot re-find that picture and have lost sleep since. Ineed more info.
  13. Turbodeezul

Turbodeezul n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody.

Finally waited for a break in the rain last night about 8:30. Took her out for
    the maiden voyage:evil . This thing is crazy. I didn't get into to much you know, first ride, knobbies, rain, and ..........

a motor spewing oil all over the back tire :yikes . I didn't know this though. Just thought it was really squirrely being so light and wet.

Got home parked for 15 sec to open the garage, rolled bike in. Stepped back out and saw the rainbow. With a lot of oil.:huh .

Started looking the girl over and there was oil everywhere. I took the skid plate off and it was full of oil and water. Took several pictures and didn't touch anything.

Called the dealer and they want it back ASAP and are going to look into it. I'm hoping it was a just a bad oil fill and the skid plate was just holding it, but :amazon . Hell, could just be some loose fasteners as well, but I didn't want to touch a bike this expensive this early with tools.

Anyway, I'm glad I have a dealer close by and they are going to get it figured out, they responded immediately. I'll keep you posted. I was considering a Husky but the dealer is Hr away, or 1.5 with traffic..... No thanks. I decided to pass on the FI as well and go with the reliable RFS, I'm sure this is just an anomaly. I'm still really excited about this bike.:tb .

Or I'm still flying from the kid news. :bmwrider
  14. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed it is something as simple as a badly tightened sump plug or something. We seem to hear a lot of problems with straight out the door machines of many colours lately :(:
  15. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    I remember the pic, but also cant think where I saw it.
  16. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Some changes for 09

They say.....
    >>
    • New Ø 45 mm Marzocchi fork: totally redesigned to assure more stability and control.
      Main modifications:
      1. New damper rods to increase flow and performance stability in the long term
      2. New bushes, more elastic fork springs, best hydraulic cartridge filling, to improve both overall smoothness and front end capacity to absorb bumps.
      3. New pistons, giving the hydraulics a 50% performance upgrade
    • Rear suspension setting optimised according to the modified front end.
    • New lightened wheels , new steel spokes ,aluminium spoke nipples and new wheel hubs to provide a reduction 900 g weight.
    • New seat with a more suitable foam to improve comfort and driving pleasure.
    • Great impact look due to the new white colour-scheme and fluorescent red graphics <<
    http://www.betamotor.com/en/bikes/show/2?model=7

There's also a race model :eek1

>>
    • New Ø 50 mm Marzocchi fork: completely revised to improve driving stability and comfort through a reduction in pitchingMain modifications:
      1. Larger diameter stanchions
      2. Fork yokes furry machined in aluminium with variable offset and bright red anodising.
      3. New pistons, giving the hydraulics a 50% performance upgrade
      4. New damper rods to increase flow and stability of performance over the long term
      5. New bushes, more elastic fork springs, best hydraulic cartridge filling, to improve both overall smoothness and front end capacity to absorb bumps
    • 5 mm longer rear shock absorber to give greater ground clearance.
    • Full titanium LeoVince exaust system with straight-thought silencer and decibel-killer at rear end to a very considerable saving in the bike&#8217;s overall weight in a more linear and full-bodied delivery.
    • New lighter and simpler racing electrical system for faster and easier maintenance.
    • Stealth aluminium rear sprocket with steel teeth, titanium fixing pins and black and red colour scheme: it combines the steel robustness and the aluminium lightness.
    • New Excel wheels with new steel spokes , red anodized aluminium spoke nipples and new wheel hubs: these enable a weight-saving of over 900 grams.
    • Ergal footrest and handguards to increase control and security guide
    • New Racing look through number plate with LED miniature headlamp, rear mudguard air intake in carbon fibre, Kevlar bumper plate, flame protection in carbon fibre, inner front disc carrier in black and new graphics <<
    And its now white

http://www.betamotor.com/upload/bike_images/1227/RR4T09_394.jpg?1216112700

http://www.betamotor.com/upload/bike_images/1219/RR4T09_rac_394.jpg?1216110765

:D
  17. alxndr13

alxndr13 Fair weather hoser.

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to find the measurements for motard wheels for my '05 RR 4t 450. I want to have a completely separate set for swapping from dirt to commute on a whim, without sacrificing by using dual-sport tires. I'm just hesitant to shell out the $600 each for the ones directly from Beta in Italy.

Thanks!

Alex
  18. CrankyCoyote

Oddometer:
    I took mine to Woody's Wheel Works and they told me that I could either buy hubs from Beta or have carriers custom machined for one of the interchangeable hubs. The wheels from Beta turned out to be a little bit cheaper than that, but not by much. If you figure out a cross-ref, please share!

-dp-
    http://www.betamotorcycles.net
  19. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I hope to pick up my `09' Beta 525RR next Sat, i put a deposit down so fingers crossed.
    I have ordered a Rekluse Pro for it as well, can't wait.
  20. Mudmover

Mudmover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, I'm new to this site..........How do all!!!!!

I saw this very interesting thread and relaised I have experienced
    nearly all comments of OP.

Took my clutch leaver off and yes the boot fell out!!!

The neutral gear issue is typically KTM.....Best technique is to find nuetral before actually stopping.......It is possible to do it at standstill but it can be tricky and frustrating if on a vertical gradient.

I really like the Beta and feel for trial riding it is miles advanced over the KTM....

Silly little things like on all KTM's includung 09's the chain slaps terrible against swinging arm - Not matter how slack chain is on Beta it never happens and hence seems much smoother as a result...

Off to the Brecon Beacons tommorow for some serious rock fun! Will post update later this weekend!

Cheers
    Max