Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Rossis average finish about 6.5.
    Haydens average finish about 7.5.
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To finish tenth, first you have to finish... :lol3
  3. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, cool. I tought the carbon frame was part of the problem.
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    BTW Nicky had more DNF's and DNS's.
    I like Nicky and he is talented but not in Rossi's league IMO. Yes he did beat him on 06 but that is the only time. Also the only time I remember Rossi actually folding under pressure.
    However if you put Hayden and Rossi on the same Yamaha's it wouldn't be close. On the tail end of his career I predict Rossi will tie or beat Hayden's career win total of three.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone is questioning that. Nicky did compare quite favorably to the GOAT, though, regularly out qualifying and out racing him.

So, I think the point is, Nicky is better than the equipment and team situations he has been stuck with might suggest.

The numbers would be even closer if Nicky hadn't tried to give Ducati podium glory at Mugello.

:bert
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Can't take anything away from Stoner, but there were other important factors in their favour that year. Only 6 years, but really seems like a long time ago now!
  7. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    it was the first year of the 800s and the 20?L fuel limit.Honda and yamaha were conservative with the power to ensure they could finish.Ducati werent figuring they could roll back the throttle if they needed
  8. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't say that there wasn't a problem with the carbon. But the steel trellis was much worse.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't for that whining, pesky little Ozzie their plans would have worked too. :D
  10. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful you may upset Rossi fan bois with that statement. They pray to the alter of "the 2007 Ducati was so good that its the only reason Stoner beat Rossi".
  11. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Casey retired with his 2 moto gp championships. So it really does not matter for 2013.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    lol
  13. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying Casey wasn't a talented rider and a multi world champion but most people will admit that the duc's 6-8 years ago were much more competitive than they are today. Troy Bayliss jumped on one for one race in 2006 and won! I don't believe anyone now (dani, JLO, stoner,rossi) can win on the Ducati unless severe weather occurs.
  14. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is so right.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
  15. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    If this season is a nailbiter down to the last race, and Vale or Marky wins the championship, i bet Casey comes out of retirement on a factory backed satellite Honda:lol3
  16. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but that bike seemed to hold its own with the others more often, and with more than one rider. Just mentioned was Bayliss' wildcard ride, and Capirossi was leading the championship and winning on the thing before being injured.
  17. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to separate the 990 from the 800. The bikes were totally different beasts. The 990 had horsepower to spare, and as a consequence, you could use that to turn. The 800 - especially in '07 and '08 - did not have the horsepower, and were much more dependent on the front than on the rear. This trend was exacerbated by the fact that the '07 tires were built with the data from the 990s, and so had masses of grip with the 800s. The 990s had more power than tire, the 800s had more tire than power.

Capirossi could ride around the weak front end of the 990 using the outrageous amount of horsepower the bike had. With the advent of the 880s, that possibility was gone. Bayliss won on the 990, not the 800.

To see the difference in competitiveness between the bikes, compare Capirossi's results from '06 and '07:

06 - 3 wins, 8 podiums, 5 fastest race laps, 2 poles, led for 88 laps, 229 points. This, remember, in a year when he had a massive crash in Barcelona, and rode the next three races pretty banged up.

07 - 1 win, 4 podiums, no fastest race laps, no poles, led for 12 laps, 166 points. His win came in mixed conditions in a flag-to-flag race, and had more to do with wily racecraft than outright speed.
  18. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Shoulda.
    Woulda.
    Coulda.

The numbers would be closer because of this, and further apart if it weren't for that. This is why the ranking is based on crossing the finish line. The rest is just topspin. :D

Face it, Hayden has won just three races in 10 years of riding in MGP. That is simply not top-echelon. :dunno
  19. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:

Seemed to me when they went to qatar that year in 07 with the 800's the duc had top end on everyone???
  20. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    It did have loads more top-end than the Yamaha and Hondas (two factories that had gone another (wrong) direction), but having an 800 that is faster than other 800's does not make it faster or more powerful or more competive than the previous 990.