990 EFI System on a 950 -Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yardstick, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Converting a 990 to carbs is pretty well documented here, but how about the other way around? Can the 990's EFI system be adapted to the 950? I would really like to have an EFI'd SE without changing out my relatively low mile engine.
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Internally you will need to change the tone ring to get the timing done right.
    Externally there are a boatload of tabs etc on the 990 frame for sensors and such you wont find on the 950.

Can it be done, sure but to do it properly you most likely would need the entire wiring harness from a 990 to swap for the 950. Then it becomes a matter of finding space for it all and plugging it all up. Also there are smaller diff like airbox covers have stuff in the 990 not on the 950 etc.

I went to carbs on my 990 and the harness was much simpler on the 950.
    Then you have the matter of the EFI fuel pump. Where ya gonna stick that sucker since it go INTO the tank.

:huh
  3. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swap tanks!

but then again, converting a 950 to EFI... what for?
  4. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    There are high pressure EFI pumps that can be mounted external to a tank. That's one of the lesser worries.

I assume it would take the EFI portion of the wiring harness and associated ECU from a 990. What about the fit? Are the intakes the same size? I know the 990 uses different air filters.

I have both right now ('09 SE and '11 990R) and I could try some fitting, but I was hoping somebody else had done it already and could enlighten me. I like the EFI on the 990 and would prefer to have EFI on the 950.
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Didn't PowerCell do an EFI conversion on his monster bike?
  6. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I think he has a 990 motor in his. Tempting but my 950 has really low miles.
  7. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    It is easy to make a ktm 990 adventure to carbs. I just got done if anybody needs info on it or what parts are needed just ask .I have all the parts off my 2007 ktm 990 adventure that I dont need.

[​IMG]