Road Info, Grants Pass to Gold Beach, OR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by mgarrett, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mgarrett

mgarrett How far to Murphy?

Oddometer:
    Hi, I need info on the roads between Grants Pass and Gold Beach, Oregon, via the Merlin, Galice, and Agness areas. My map software shows them as National Forest roads and BLM roads, which in my experience usually means unpaved but passable by two wheel drive cars when dry. I'm planning a solo ride to that area so I don't want anything too steep, muddy, or rocky. Are these "easy" roads or should I plan a different route?

Thanks!
  2. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's paved the whole way. One lane with turnouts between Galice and Agness.
    The rest is two lane

Walter
  3. mgarrett

mgarrett How far to Murphy?

Oddometer:
    Great! That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Take the left up the hill, if coming from Galice. It feels wrong, but it is the way. You'll know what I mean when you see it.
  5. mrudy

mrudy "Let's Ride"

Oddometer:
    Be sure to look for signs, too. I believe they put up some signs after last Fall's tragedy with the Kim family.
  6. dEAdEyE

dEAdEyE practicing retirement

Oddometer:
    This is one I found
    [​IMG]
  7. RMac

RMac Cheese!

Oddometer:
    It's also quite beautiful, you'll enjoy it. I roode the route going east a few weeks ago. it was mid week and I only encounterd 2 or 3 cars on the entire route. Many of the curves are tight and blind so give yourself some margin of error. Couple of pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shoe tree

[​IMG]

Have fun!
  8. malagato

malagato Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode from galice to gold beach and back on sunday sept 2 no problems, just a lot of bad pavement and the SUVs up there look awfully big coming at ya so be careful. One thing, coming from Galice, you could turn at the first right , Peavine Vally road, there is a sign that says "coastal route open" it will take you to Forest Service 23, then turn right which is what you want, it is all paved but narrow and is actually longer than going the regular route but it is somewhat pretty....
    a few spots of gravel, but nothing remotely challenging.

just look out for the cages as they tend to not get out of your lane to well...

all of the "scare ya ta death" signs seem to have been taken down.
    Don't turn left on to chrome ridge when you come around from galice , its gravel, stay on the pavement , that is 23.
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    When you get to agness, for a little more adventure, you can take the road to Powers. Its about 8 miles of gravel and huge potholes, my buddy survived no problem on his 700 Nighthawk. He ran it at about 30- 35 mph

Great twisty road after that, real pretty too

Another GREAT option is to ride down through Glendale down Cow Creek then over the Glendale to Powers bicycle route
    There is a detour but we did not take it

[​IMG]