New hammerhead doesn't fit twin spring sidestand

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by wantok, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wantok

wantok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi people - need your advice. I have a new hammerhead shifter that wont fir my 2004 950ADV, because of inteference from the standard twin spring sidestand when its folded up (the top spring touches the shifter) Has anyone changed to the single spring setup - is it a drama & costs more than the shifter?
    Thanx

Nick (wantok)
  2. thugdog

thugdog Druid Revisionist

Oddometer:
    Before relocating my 950's sidestand (thanks PAbiker), i fitted a hammerhead shift lever which sadly interferred with my sidestand springs. The two-spring setup was easily replaced with a single spring: namely, KTM part# 50303024000 ... about four bucks, and one minute to install ... thus eliminating contact between shifter and spring. I also chose to defeat the sidestand position switch due to slightly less spring retraction force. When i relocated the sidestand, i returned to the two-spring setup, just because i still had all the parts, etc.

3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I just use one spring and haven't had an issue. Fingers crossed ;). I do plan to relocate the side stand one of these days though. Having a size twelve foot and using mx boots the extra length of the hammerhead was a very good addition to my bike. Shifting while standing has been greatly improved :)
  4. wantok

wantok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help people, I appreciate it!

Nick (wantok)
  5. Azmontana

Azmontana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, i'm looking at getting one of these, I have a 950A, I do have a side stand relocater fitted, does this mean I would not need to do the single spring mod in order to get this working properly?

Thanks
  6. henryroten

henryroten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hammerhead is working on a new design which I do not believe is available yet. If you go to their site and try to order. it will tell you that it is 'unavailable". However, the new design was supposed to be out before the end of last year, so maybe soon.
  7. Azmontana

Azmontana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've sourced someone who has the old stock in, was just wondering if I need to modify the side stand spring if I have the side stand relocator installed. Thanks