Gaerne Balance Oiled vs. Forma Adventure Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scooter1942, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Scooter1942

Scooter1942 Average Dude

Oddometer:
    I've read all of the reviews and it sounds like both boots are good to go. Now I just have to decide what suits my needs best. I'll likely be running my 1200GS 80% on pavement and 20% fire/dirt/gravel roads. I've been looking for something with a slightly taller sole since every little bit helps when you have short legs.

As has been posted, the Gaerne uses better materials and has better workmanship. The Forma is a better design with a bit more in the way of safety features.

Lastly, I'm normally a size US8.5 and Euro 42 with a wide foot. Any sizing recommendations for both of these boots?

Thoughts, suggestions?
  2. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I have owned both. Both are great boots. But only one saved my foot from something really bad and isn't that reason you buy expensive boots? Look at them and ask yourself which on looks like it will save my feet.

Should be pretty easy, but you do as you see fit.
  3. bigbadandugly

bigbadandugly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what "safety features" you're referring to, but I have the BO's and like them a lot. They are a good, comfortable boot that is highly water-resistant. The soles are thick and strong enough that you can stand on narrow pegs without much discomfort, and unlike a true motocross boot, you can comfortably spend the day walking in them.

However, they offer little in terms of ankle protection. All you have is leather. Thicker leather than work boots for sure, but little else than leather and some internal liner. Nothing hard. For adventure riders that ride single track or knarely off road riding with panniers, there are better boots out there. But if you're doing 80% tarmac and 20% fire service roads, they should meet your needs. I too have an R1200GS and ride similar to you and am happy with them. My only beef is that it would be nice to have an extra piece of leather where the boot contacts the shifter.

No experience with the Forma's but they also look like a good boot. You probably can't go wrong with either.
  4. Jtking

Jtking MotoBMW

Oddometer:
    2014 GS, 90% highway, 10% exploration and camping, 0% technical off-road.

I went Gaerne. These boots are the best motorcycle boots I have ever had. The leather is fantastic and the fit superb. I am a 10 1/2 E and the size 10 fits me very well. Slightly snug in the toe box but the supple (yet thick) oiled leather is conforming nicely.

No, these are NOT track or MX boots. But they are a nice step up from all leather combat boots and are very comfortable on and off the bike.

In Gaerne I would try the size 9 if you wear thicker socks or like lots of toe room and he size 8 if you like thinner socks and are willing to break the toe box in.

Their "US" sizing runs more UK than American. My size 10 fit a Doc Marten UK size 10 footbed perfectly (and I mean perfectly).

JT
  5. plutonic

plutonic Outsider

Oddometer:
    I think you should try them both first and then decide. Actually, you should try to find the most comfortable pair of boots that meets your criteria, regardless of brand or color.
    I really wanted to get the Gore-Tex Sidi Adventure boots, but they were very uncomfortable. Tried the Gaerne Midlands and the same thing happened. No comfort. Finally I gave a try to the Forma Adventures and my feet felt home straight away. Love the all day comfort and the waterproofness. They are not as protective as the Sidi Adv but in my book comfort is a very important safety feature… as discomfort would draw my attention away from riding.
  6. Ludlow

Ludlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had the Gaerne's for a few months, now, and am very pleased. They fit true to my normal shoe size (12M) and are very comfortable. They will probably become even more so as the uppers break in and ankle movement loosens up.

I like the fact that the buckles are replaceable/sacrificial. You wont have to trash the whole boot after a modest slide.
  7. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    My Gaerne Balance Oiled are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn but the protection is lacking:

[​IMG]

Aside from the above incident requiring 30 stitches they've served me well over 5+ years. I will be replacing them with the Forma Adventures for more protection.
  8. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Very sorry to see a brother down. I am sorry to impose, but can you please provide more info? What type of riding, pants, etc. Was that from the footpeg or cylinder (saw you have a GS)? Also, it is difficult to tell what part of your leg is shown, and what part of the boot covers it.

Thanks in advance.

BP
  9. onefastrph

Oddometer:
    That's the front of my left lower leg. Bottom of the skin tear (top of the pic) is just under 1/2 mark of my lower leg. Top of the skin tear (bottom of the pic) is ~1/3 of the way down my lower leg from my knee cap. I just measured...the scar from the tear is 10cm long and it started 4cm above the top of the boot. I got 15 stitches inside my leg & 15 stitches outside my leg.

Long story short...I bought the Gaerne's primarily as a road boot for my VStrom 650 and now on my R1200GS. For a short time I also had a KDX200 to do dual sport events with. It was on KDX I did this. I was wearing the Gaerne's with Fox full, over the boot motoX pants. I was blasting up a hero section when the bike stopped and I got ejected over the top. I still don't know what did this. There was a very small tear in my moto pants at the initial impact. I think what happened is the end of the bar/bark buster junction is what got me. Whatever got me got me ~4cm above the boot then got between my leg and the boot and tore me wide open inside the boot as the bike stayed still and I catapulted over the top. I was 10 miles out and still had to ride in after this. Moral of the story...these aren't motoX boots. I did this back in 2010. Still wearing the Gaerne's as my daily Adventure boot on my GS (just did 440 miles yesterday with them) but after ~40,000 miles it's time to update them.

...edit, just noticed I was replying to BP...Coincidentally I sent you a message thru your website on Forma sizing. :)

...edit 2...just ordered my Forma's. :)
  10. the_real_wild1

the_real_wild1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If what ever tore you open got between the boot and your leg then would it have matter what boot you were wearing??? When I am riding my ktm with those boots off road I usually have knee/shin guards as well. I wonder if you were wearing the same if it would have prevented that???
    Uke likes this.
  11. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have really wide feet and am a lifelong New Balance customer. We are getting ready for a new bike (2014 Super Tenere) and gear for a long trip to S America. Which boots are widest.....and will accomodate my 19 in calves? I am leaning toward the Gaerne as they look better for walking around which we do alot of in 3rd world counties when riding. They also look like they might mold themselves to my wide feet better. If all else fails I could have them stretched at a cowboy boot place. Read that if you put a plastic bag full of water in the boot and freeze it makes a nice slow stretch if shoes are tight. The Gearne Goodyear welt may allow stretching better as well.

Also...I want to buy my pillion wife Gaernes but she is size 9 ladies (Euro 40?) and I dont think they come that small....and suitable alternative for comfortable day after day wear for pillion woman?

Without trying them on (where in Seattle area?) its a tough choice and hard to know.
  12. onefastrph

Oddometer:
    In this case I don't think the Formas would add frontal protection since I think the height is about the same as the Gaernes. I'm buying the Formas for additional ankle protection which I think my Gaernes are lacking. I did not have my knee/shin guards on when I did this but you better believe I started wearing religiously (on the KDX) after I did this.
  13. the_real_wild1

the_real_wild1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet. It looks like it may have hurt lol.
  14. Cloudbase Jim

Cloudbase Jim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you fit the Forma adventures inside the leg of Rukka Cosmic pants? They look like they are exclusively an over pants boot
  15. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi CB Jim. You can fit them under most casual pants, so I would be really surprised if you could not fit them under a Rukka moto pant.

Hope that helps.

BP
  16. Cloudbase Jim

Cloudbase Jim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brtp4
    Thanks for the reply, I wasn't expecting one from such an old thread.
    Much appreciated
  17. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Forma Adventures, I find that they fit under boot cut jeans but straight cut jeans I usually have to roll up then tuck in.
    slime likes this.
  18. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how is Gaerne all terrain compared to bo? I have forma adventure now and are very pleased with them
  19. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    I love my Forma boots, but they are my first real non street boot. Forma has several different models depending on the level of protection you want or comfort. I have the adventure boot but would have got another model if they had been available. The Terra has a stiffer sole and can be resoled too..