Where is the SAE connector ?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ProdigyXL, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ProdigyXL

ProdigyXL Long way north

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I just bought a SAE To Dual Cigarette Socket Y Cable to power my etrex trough the cigarette car adapter. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate the connector on my bike. I know, I'm more than a noob.

[​IMG]

If someone has the knowledge to help me, I would appreciate greatly.
    Thank you.

Jim
    (BMW F650GS 09)
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    You have to install it yourself... :freaky

Oh yeah... and make sure you don't make an embarrassing mistake like I did. I have both the GPS hard mounted and the connector hard mounted to the battery (I use mine for the trickle charger). Since there are so many terminals on the batter I thought I tightened everything up but the bike started acting funny like it was "resetting" itself or something. Turns out I hadn't tightened the connections enough, I used some fancy electrical grease as well a buddy from work let me borrow, works like a charm.
  3. ProdigyXL

ProdigyXL Long way north

Oddometer:
    EnderTheX, thanks for your reply.

If I understand correctly, I'll have to buy another cable to connect my SAE connector on the battery and I'm set.
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep :lol3 I was originally hesitant to reply since I bought mine used and I'm unsure of what they come with stock but I had to install another cable. Here is a picture I borrowed off a site trying to sell em.

[​IMG]
  5. ProdigyXL

ProdigyXL Long way north

Oddometer:
    There will be so many wires on my bike that I'm thinking to hire a IBM consultant :wink: Once again, thank you. I'll buy the piece you mention, install it and it's done.
  6. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    Here is where I placed mine:
    [​IMG]
  7. ProdigyXL

ProdigyXL Long way north

Oddometer:
    Very clean setup indeed.:thumbup
  8. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    FYI, SAE is the same as Battery Tender's use. Plus Powerlet Products has a ton of SAE cables/connectors.

I usually wire them directly to the battery, bypassing the CANBUS which allows you to charge your bike w/ a normal battery tender/charger. Direct to the battery will provide higher amperage also, thinking the CANBUS is only like 5 amps max. output. Not sure that's enough for heated clothing.
  9. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    Forgot to add:

The SAE connector is from Battery Tender. I wired it directly to the battery, and ran it from the right-side, around the head tube, and located it near the left grip as shown in the pic above. I use it for the battery tender, and can use it for a tire pump and a cigarette socket to power a GPS / ect.
  10. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these from Powerlet to reduce the number of connections to my battery - http://www.powerlet.com/product/termin8-easier-than-fuseblock/409 It's pretty easy to cram down into the dead space behind the battery and lets you hook up four separate power and ground connections.
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    One more note...

I kinda went crazy and added several sets of taps.
    A gerbing for my heated gear, an SAE for my tender, and a custom one for my GPS.

I caught what could have been a big problem if undiscovered ... the standard bolts on the top of the battery are not long enough for more than about two extra sets of leads. Watch your thread engagement at the battery posts if you go electrical-farkle-happy :lol3
  12. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    See my previous post for the solution...:D
  13. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I like your solution :thumb ... I'm just cheap :lol3
  14. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I use a battery tender. It comes with an SAE plug.

How's this for a clean set up?

Left side of the bike wire tied up under left side panel:
    [​IMG]

Close up:
    [​IMG]

And the tender saying GREEN LIGHT = :freaky :clap :evil :D :1drink
    [​IMG]
  15. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Searching for an answer that's in between the "gear" section of the forum and the "gs" section...this is one of the closest threads that came up when I searched.

I'm in the market for heated gear.

I own a F800gs...

Is there a Heated Gear brand (besides the $400 Aerostitch jacket liners) that makes jacket liners,gloves and pant liners that all hook together so you can plug them into the BMW plug? And is the F800 big enough to support gloves, jacket liner and pant liner?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" since that would be too good to be true but I figured it can't hurt to ask...
  16. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
  17. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    i believe the powerlet plug is capped at 5amps (thank you canbus) which is more than likely not nearly enough to power a full set of heated gear. you are going to have to tap the battery directly and even then the alternator on the f800 is pretty small. most people have installed some sort of LED or digital indicator to measure power draw so they know when they are exceeding what the battery/alternator can provide.

this is just my regurgitation of what i've read here, i believe that the power capabilities of the f8 have been discussed previously http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395505 here.

as far as actual gear, like you i'm at the beginning of that search.
  18. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    True, but the OP just wanted to plug in his ETrex and the stock plug is perfect for that.
  19. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    agreed; i was more attempting to answer catskill's question. i should have quoted, my bad! :D
  20. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Of course there is.:D
    Gerbing Heated clothing (happens to be 5min from my house) Not only so they sell heated gear, but I use there power outlet to operate my air pump, battery tender, ect ect. There power outlet has a smaller profile than an SAE connector.