Mark Vernact's Accelerator Module.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KnuckC, Nov 14, 2010.

1. NAZDirt

NAZDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the plug as well. Worked great this fall with temps in 90's.

Only problem has been during very cold mornings. If temps are around freezing it runs a little rough and doesn't like to warm up quick. I think I may have to remove it for winter.

I have the inline adapter without the temp probe.
  2. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

Forgive my ignorance, a "cold morning" here is 60F and that only happens a couple of times a year.
    I just wonder why you couldn't just let the bike idle a few minutes longer to get the engine/oil up to operating temp?

It seems a shame to have to remove the "magic plug" just to make it warm up quicker. Set the alarm 5 minutes earlier :lol3

I am quite satisfied with my Module. It's not going to turn the bike into a 1000RR, but it really does smooth out the throttle response and lessen the lower rpm hesitation.
  3. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Hhhmmm.....that's odd. Colder air is more dense, and usually causes a "leaner" condition. I always have to richen my fuel screw on my Carb'd Trials bike (GasGas 280 Pro) when the temps plummet. So, I'm not so sure that's your problem. May be something else going on. Might suggest removing your O2 sensor (very carefully) from the pipe and gently cleaning it. Make sure there's not a bunch of carbon buildup on it. Just a thought.

My first day to ride with it (last week) started at 39 degrees. I had no problems. In fact, I think it was smoother running. Started more quickly and idled very smoothly....where it would stutter a bit, before I attached the Accelerator.

Then, I just spent all weekend (600+ miles) in temps ranging from 40's to 60's. Ran flawlessly smooth. A substantial improvement. :freaky

I will say its smoother on the roll off now, at all speeds, as well. There engine braking effect is not as harsh. That was most noticeable in the tight twisties. Before, I didn't use much wheel braking at all.....just throttle control. Now, I have to apply some braking more frequently because the engine doesn't seem to cutoff as sharply when I chop the throttle. Its just surprising how fast you adapt to things as they are....when you're riding. I found myself having to re-adapt a little bit. But, this was a good thing.

I think I might now put a little slack (add back some play) into my throttle cable. I had taken all the slack out, which definitely helped reduce the twitch. But, that can be unforgiving if you get careless....especially offroad. Don't think it will be a problem running with a little slack now.

HF :thumbup
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True. I tried the "remove all slack from throttle cable" routine once. Rode the bike for 5 minutes, then pulled over and put the appropriate amount of slack back into the cable. I did not like not having the BMW spec amount of play in the throttle. I have to have a bit of leeway so when I get into the bumpy sections it's not constantly adjusting the throttle position! That's an accident waiting to happen.
  5. NAZDirt

NAZDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problems with bike. Its just that at 7500 feet elevation we have less air. Add that to the temps and it runs a little rough and takes longer to warm up. That is after temps at night of 15-25*F.
  6. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed this the other day, man what a difference! Nice smooth strong power compared to stock. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on fuel consumption, will report back after a few tank fulls. I cant help but ride more like a hooligan giving it a fist full of throttle at every opportunity :D . Thats not going to help consumption!

I got the extended version as well, routed it a little different to HighFive. I ran the cable down the left hand side, through one cable tie. I then cut and replaced the 4 existing cable ties and run the sensor wire along the existing wiring loom to the front. Its nice and protected in behind the fairing there too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Mine has had NO effect whatsoever on fuel economy.
  8. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I saw how fast the Booster Plug was selling when I bought it about a year ago, I said to my friend that we should reverse engineer it, make it and sell it. After all, it basically consists of only a couple of solid state parts. We laughed and, in our lazy ways, just let it slide. Now I've seen at least two items that are basically the same thing. I'm surprised that "Booster Plug Guy" didn't nail the patent on this.
  9. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I know, Jens (Booster Plug) did it first. He should have (or should right now) internationally patent that shit!

And as far as I understand, the original Booster Plug does 'something' that the accelerator module and other knock-offs don't. What that 'something' is and I do not know. Ask Jens, he'll tell ya.... not to mention the higher quality of the Booster Plug.
  10. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is the Booster Plug the better unit? I just looked on their website, and they are now advertizing the MK2 Plug. Is this what you guys are using?
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Whether or not it's the better one is a matter of opinion of course. Those who bought what they bought will obviously chime in a defend their purchases. In my opinion, yes the Booster Plug is superior. Not because it's the one I bought. Rather the superior build quality, functionality, and I wanted to make sure and support the inventor. I did my research before I purchased.

The Booster Plug MkII is the one I installed. Higher quality wires, higher quality resistors and higher quality sensor; and it uses the same high quality Bosch plugs that the BMW uses. You get what you pay for.
  12. jenslh

jenslh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I thought about the patent thing, but that would probably not prevent someone in China from making a copy device anyway.

Instead, I worked on branding the BoosterPlug, to make it known for proper research/development, outstanding quality and customer service. Motorcyclists are really unique customers because they have a high degree of technical knowledge in general, and seems to inform each other a lot about good and bad products.

The basic principle of the BoosterPlug is pretty simple, but getting it right is not easy. All components must have exactly the right specs, and a large part of my development hours went into finding the right parts.

A few guys have done independent "one to one" tests between the BoosterPlug and the copies, and I’m proud that the BoosterPlug came out on top every time. (Remember that I’m obviously biased towards my own device, so I can not be trusted here……)

My website contains a section about the BoosterPlug alternatives – including my general opinion on the copies: http://www.boosterplug.com/?id=The_Alternatives&menu=6

Cheers

/Jens
    /BoosterPlug.com
  13. Fulano

Fulano Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I bought the Accelerator Plug. Why?

"superior build quality, functionality, and I wanted to make sure and support MY WALLET. I did my research before I purchased. "
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jens! What you've said here was pretty much what I was getting at in my earlier post.:clap
  15. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
  16. The Griz

Oddometer:
    ....As well as the fact that anything you tear apart is going to look scary on the inside. This doesn't mean, however, that the components used aren't superior and/or more correct for the application.
  17. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
  18. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Why? We all throw up picks of the welds on skid plates and machining on billet parts. When you open up an electrical box and look inside it is no different. If it works and people want to pay his price it is fine.
    I get the same thing in my business. "Why is a video so expensive? Cameras are cheap, computers are cheap. I could it myself if I had the knowhow and the time and the talent. You don't actually expect to earn a living doing this?" :rofl
    Really not that funny....I've actually heard this from "prospective" clients...:cry

19. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't see what the big deal is... looks exactly like what the guy promises on his site. If you read the details this is what you should expect under the plastic, just a resistor and a probe. The solder looks fine and the residual is probably from the guy pulling apart the device.
  20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    It's all good. I just believe that Jens invented it (Booster Plug). Yes, resistor tuning has been going on for years, itsatdm, but not in the way that Jens does it for BMW's. I also believe that Jens was the one that did all the R&D, and everyone else just copied him. I like to give credit where credit is due. Jens is very right in the fact that the concept is very simple, but getting right is not. At the end of the day, to each his own with which one you buy.