porting

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by willis 2000, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats taken as read............but stainless doesnt seem to understand air cooled 2T motors with Nikasil cylinders have been around outside of the US for some time, and respond very differently to alteration than bikes which are still running dino iron liners.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Never ported a Nikasil barrel in the 70's. However, I "specialized" in porting hard chrome bores like Zundapp used. You had to be careful to keep the chrome from peeling at the edge of the port. 99.99% of the time if a client had chrome bore was that damaged we got LA Sleeve to make a cast iron liner. Freeze the liner and heat the barrel and get it straight as it goes in or you are F'ed (nerve wracking). I would go in and grind to match the liner to the barrel after it was set and before it got the final bore.
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i never said i didnt understand there were nikasil liners. i just wanted you to point one out. from the 70's. in a 2stroke. you have not answered that question. i have a feeling i will wait a long time.
    you still have not mentioned which motor you ran at .5mm squish. i think i will wait a long time for that answer also.

i don't believe i ever mentioned what porting i do to a motor, i only pointed out your errors.
    i also never mentioned charging anyone anything for motors, nor did i claim to port anyone else's motors. hell i never mentioned even porting my own motors. maybe i do needlepoint for a living, and just like to argue with internet retards. you have made quite a few assumptions, instantly assuming that anyone that does anything that is not 'your way' is wrong. i can tell you this, i have never, and will never, replace head and base gaskets with high temp silicone. nor will i ever end up with a .5mm squish.

i did post a link to a site which, if you read, involves absolutely no measuring on your part. you send the solder, he does the measurements. just because you are not familiar with it doesn't mean it doesn't work, and it's a hack job. you just assume because he charges, that he does bad work, and is just in it for the money. in fact it appears to me that you seem to believe everyone who works on motors is just in it for the money.

you mention "feel that they can do better than the factories who designed and made the bikes they "modify" and again "Like it or not the factorys did a pretty good job on designing most 2T motors" yet you recommend removing the gaskets and replacing them with silicone. sounds to me like you're modifying what the factory did a pretty good job of.

either way, it's obvious you're a troll, and i took the bait. since i already took the bait might as well continue, and entertain myself.
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    He's one of those stainless. It's an impossible task. In my experience your only reward will be seeing him in the not too distant future using your points like he came up with them years back. Like none of us have a memory!?! :lol3

Don't forget that we do it because we can. Most people can't so they think you shouldn't be able to do it either.

True story that has happened many times over in one form or another to some of us I am sure: He's riding over his head and is a dangerous passer! But I lapped you THREE times!?! And your like trying to get around a football bouncing down the track! Some people can't get a clue. Hang out with us fun inmates stainlesscycle. :D
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you seem to firmly believe that modifications that cost next to nothing to do and actually work very well in real world conditions, dont work, yet are quite unable to outline why this would be so, is there any real point in providing exact details of specifics on here?

You suggest alterations done by myself are of little value and wont work, yet post links to a site whose owner offers to carry out very critical and precise machining work on cylinder heads on the basis of pieces of solder sent through the post, who is also offering carb alterations first carried out by someone in the UK during the 1920s. This sort of thing is certainly reflective of what I would call a "hack job" which involves the distinct possibility of parts being ruined, by someone eager to make quick $$$$$.

As to replacing gaskets with silicone, again this is something that works very well, and provides a way in many cases of avoiding the need to mess around with solder and paying for a hack job which may result in a need for a new cylinder head. And as to my being a troll, its you who seems to be a Google Gary and able to criticise modifications which have been tried and tested in real world conditions, and merely due to details of this type of mod not being available to you on Google, you suggest they wont work!
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry other than attacking the fact that in many cases removing head and base gaskets on 2T air cooled motors provides a very simple way of closing up wide factory squish clearances, I didnt notice stainless actually had provided anything helpful to this thread at all? Personally I wouldnt be going out of my way to repeat his criticisms, as I know what I have outlined does actually work quite well.
  7. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dhorse:dhorse
  8. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why dont you provide your favoured method of adjusting squish clearance shocktower? All we have at the moment is what I have suggested, and a link to someone offering to do the work mail order.
  9. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    from another thread today - regarding suspension tuning

so you just refuse to pay anyone to do anything, because apparently your skills are vastly superior to anyone who actually charges money for their services. did you ever think that perhaps there are people who know more than you, and charge for that service? thinking that you can do a better job with suspension revalving and motor tuning than someone who actually does it for a living? that's just moronic. sounds to me like either you never gave anyone else a chance, or got burned badly in the past, or just have some massive ego that you're more skilled than all others combined. i'm pretty damn sure it's the latter. not to say the skilled can't do it themselves, but you've proven time and time again, you are not that skilled individual.
  10. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    I just wanna see "Real world conditions of PROVEN success" with detailed hi rez video and pics when Twin shocker jerks all the gaskets out of a air cooled RD 350 and gives it a few squirts of RTV silicone instead.

Get her up around 160 PSI compression, tighten down those 4 little head nuts as hard as he wants, enter a 4 hour endurance race, and pin the throttle up to red line for about 2 total hours of the race ! :evil

Proof is in pics and video........not theory. Trophys dont lie, but internet advisors do.

As to the "So called experts" Twin shocker is so strongly against, if they truely are a expert at what they do, how do you think they attained that status ? By argueing on the internet ? By using outdated and neanderthal supplys and methods ?

They became experts by applying technology, sometimes trial and error, somtimes through science and engineering, but allways willing to realize when things didnt work, its wrong to defend a failed idea.

The fact they charge a premium for their services.......if they even offer their expertise to the public, is a small price to pay if you want a professional result. Far less expensive in the long run compared to failed experiments in a rainey backyard shed.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    13K miles,heavy load of oil,pump gas (most of the time :D ) and a corrected squish/chamber as it came off the cylinders. Notice the lack of carbon. The oil running to the exhaust side wiped off with a rag. 160 PSI cold cranking pressure.

OEM base and head gaskets sans any goo.

[​IMG]
  12. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I just take a short ride up to RB and let the expert do it :evil, his well know shop is about 15 miles from me :ear
  13. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

I hate paying for services, that I know I can do, but when I don't know, I get out the check book and pay a true proffessional, I don't make ignorant mistakes :norton
  14. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That will be fine............but adjusting squish via mail order, relying on measurements which may well be wrong doesnt seem that great an idea though.
  15. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

I think that if you had dealt with many so called experts, you may well have found out the hard (and expensive!) way what it is most are expert at!
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no "expert". I just know what I'm doing.
  17. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

Well Ron at RB has been doing Rd's and other 2 strokes for a few weeks and My Google search tells me he has a good rep, that and several other forums which just talk about 2 strokes, and he is well know for his solder tech via postal service :evil
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah you cannot go wrong there.
  19. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    Yes ! Yes, I personally have........a entire season of endurance racing, along with a season of sprint racing resulted in 13 trophys on the podium in a single season.

Not a single mechanical issue, never had to do anything except check timing every couple races. Hours, and hours and hours of wide open throttle at red line.

Simply assembled correctly by a "So called expert" with stock factory gaskets.

[​IMG]
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm lovin' the "race transport" in the background. :D