Central Pa day trippin (Pa Grand Canyon)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JiT, Aug 29, 2011.

1. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Took Friday off and went for a nice 160 mile dirt road day ride up along Pine Creek (Pennsylvania Grand Canyon) What a fantastic day it was. Weather was perfect. Started in Waterville headed up through little pine state park saw a Bald eagle first thing in the morning, then up to Colton point overlook and down to the Burning Barrel Tavern in Ansonia. Got a bite to eat and headed north to Tioga state forest. Headed out to the black ash swamp. Then head back south to Waterville for a few beers and wings. it was a great day Highly recommend ride for someone looking for a day trip in Central PA. The Waterville tavern is a great place to eat with friendly people. Prices are cheap and the food is fantastic. :D

Waterville Tavern must stop eats!
    http://www.pinecreekvalley.com/Business.aspx?bid=3

Attached Files:

2. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Another shot from a great day of riding!

Attached Files:

3. NittanyRider

NittanyRider Walking Contradiction

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome! I've been up there a bunch of times (canoeing, biking, etc.) but have never taken the moto. I'd love to do a ride like yours in the fall sometime... any chance you have any GPS tracks?

David.
  4. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Sorry no GPS tracks, I can do a google map of the route we took.
  5. NittanyRider

Oddometer:
    If you wouldn't mind, that would be great! Do you live up that area?
  6. HamboneSlim

HamboneSlim ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics, love the B&W! Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is a world-class beautiful place IMO.

Haven't been up that way in years. Pine Creek, Slate Run - so many memories of these streams. But Cedar Run has to be my favorite; one of the nicest streams in the state.
  7. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I live near Lewisburg, and I great up north of Wellsboro, little town of Sabinsville. Here is the route up. You can follow any number of back roads back to Waterville, they are all great rides.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200102858208326276001.0004aba94b40032dc9e59&hl=en&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=41.611335,-77.412415&spn=0.985691,1.757812&z=9&output=embed" width="640" frameborder="0" height="480" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <small>View Directions to PA-349 N in a larger map</small>
  8. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the dirt roads doable on a non-DS bike?

Thanks for sharing the photos!
  9. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Yeah, these road are doable on non DS bikes most of the time. They were reworking the road when we going up. They graded all the stuff from the edges to the center it was a little sketchy even on the DS. When they are done it will perfect.
  10. craigman

craigman Just one of those PATRA guys

Oddometer:
    haven trouble sleeping and I stumble upon this! lol I'm the knucklehead on the DRZ.

Guys this was a great ride. We usually encounter snakes along the line... But hell we didnt see one! It was a great ride and the scenery is top notch. I gotta say Jit, the B&W shots are nice!

Another point of interest is when you get into Morris Pa. they PennDot have Rt. 414 "closed" wink wink. But its not! If you ignore the road closed sign and ride thru as local traffic they detour cars and motorcycles unto the RailsTrail! haha a couple of miles of legal riding on a otherwise inaccessible trail!! The SV1000 was lovin it! :D
  11. NittanyRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the map, JiT! I'm definitely going to make a point of riding up there this fall!

Cheers. :freaky