BV350 or Scarabeo 500?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    That is the question...

Have at it! :D
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a Scarabeo 500 other than a picture. But I seriously looked at a BV350, and even test rode it. I liked it a lot, and still may buy one. I would need to get rid of one of my current scooters though, and don't really want to. But the BV would give me freeway capability. I really like this one, and the dealer is about a mile away.

http://www.victorybmw.com/default.a...oorplan=null&length=&weight=&lat=&lng=&miles=
  3. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Scarabeo 500 is similar to my BV500 and uses the same, or similar, engine. The engine is a good'un and I generally really like the machine, BUT

the BV350's engine is, in my opinion, better than the 500. The 500 is a last generation design. The BV350 engine makes close to the same power, pushes the bike almost as fast and has much longer service intervals. The BV350 also has WAY more storage than my BV500.

If I was making the decision today between the BV350 and the BV500, I'd go with the 350.
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I don't think the Scarabeo 500 is too far the BV 350 in terms of weight. And the Scarabeo makes a bit more power too and cost a lot less than the BV. NOt sure what the maintenance schedule difference is...
  5. JerryH

Oddometer:
    In researching the Scarabeo 500, I found a 2011 model costs $900 more than the 2013 BV350, and is actually only 460cc. It's a nice looking scooter, not sure how I feel about that oval shaped area on the side panels. There is no Aprilia dealer within 100 miles of here, so I've never actually looked at one. There is a Vespa/Piaggio dealer about a mile away. What bothers me most about both these scooters is parts and maintenance items. I can't imagine ever having to take a bike to a dealer for service or repair, but you have to go to the dealer for parts. I have gotten so used to getting parts for my Japanese bikes online from bikebandit.com or cheapcycleparts.com. I have always found going to a dealer to be a real hassle. But, on the other hand, it would be nice to have something a bit exotic, and non Asian for a change.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I might be wrong but I think the last year for the Scarabeo 500 was 2009.
  7. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having owned the Master-series engined Piaggio Mp3, and now a new BV350...I can tell you there is a world of difference in terms of engine refinement, and linear power-delivery.

There are reasons Piaggio clean-sheeted this powerplant. It's a sweetheart of a mill and will likely be their bread and butter powerplant going forward a few years.

[​IMG]
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
  9. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are really nice lookin' scoots gogogordy.
  10. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...Vespa Sherman Oaks handled the custom colors and they did a beautiful job.
  11. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Piaggio should make the red with black trim a standard, and lose the matte finishes (that aren't selling that well anyway.)

I look forward to more info as you put on the miles.
  12. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    I agree- I've read lots of negative comments about the red seat upholstery, especially after is sun fades to dark pink. eww.

Whats wrong with using black for the seats and the plastic trim? From Gogogordy's great pictures absolutely nothing. C'mon Vespa.
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    That green one looks pretty awesome!
  14. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome looking machines, Gordy! Those BV350s rock...
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Scarabeo 500, it is far more comfortable touring than our BV 500. Seat and suspension is considerably better so that would be a tough call for me. If it were between the BV 500 and the BV 350 I'd take the BV 350. Better maintenance intervals and definitely more storage particularly if you remove the silly evap canister that is a California and New York requirement not a 50 state requirement.

BTW, I buy parts online for the Aprilia Scarabeo and the BVS. Service on the Sports City (also an Aprilia) is done by a local mechanic in Dillon, CO instead of taking it down to Denver for service. He's had no problems getting any parts he's needed either.

Geogordy - when did you get to pick up the new BVs? They look great.
  16. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheryl, in keeping with his penchant to under-promise and over-deliver, David at Vespa Sherman Oaks delivered them to us this past Saturday. A mere 110 miles from his shop.

The entire experience was smooth and worry free and the BV350's? Well, lets just say I think its the best modern scooter made and Piaggio's high-water mark. I say that despite hertburn I've had with Piaggio USA in the past, so full disclaimer.
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    geogordy,

You will be riding them down for Amerivespa, right? I'd sure like to see how much better I they look in person. :)
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes we will. All 60 miles from home.

We should be easy to find.