2008 Klr Oil Consumption Question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DockingPilot, Dec 15, 2007.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    This was to me from a good friend with an 08'. Are you owners finding this to be normal on the new KLR or no ? He is concerned his motor imay be an oil-holic.
    What say you, you KLR vets ? :ear

Well, I changed the oil after the overhaul, at about 1,423 miles, filling it above the top line.
    At 1,846 miles (423 later) I had to add 12 oz. to get it back to the top line only.
    Now, at 2,655 miles (809 since adding the 12 oz), its down to the bottom line.
  2. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Known issue with '08s. KHI is 'working' on a fix. Take it in, get it documented and request that the dealer correct the problem. Get everything in writing. Go to one of the KLR specific site and read the threads. You might have to register to get access.

Don't ignore it.
  3. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Thanks. KHI ?
  4. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    My 07 gave me the same problem. After having it at the dealer for over 2months, I got it back with new rings and valve seals. I am still breaking it back in, so I don't know if the cure "took", yet.
  5. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Heavy Industries.... KHI
  6. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The increased oil consumption is generally only a problem when the KLR is operated at 70 mph or above which is about the only place I operate mine! I added a PCV valve to the breather tube off the engine to reduce crank case pressures and this seems to have reduced my oil consumption..however the jury is still out on this..If I can't get it down to a quart every thousand then I will replace the piston and bore the cylinder to install the 685 kit.

RJK
  7. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Doesn't it just piss you off to no end that they've been building what's basicly the same bike for over 20 yrs now and they still can't get it right!?
    I'm not Kawi "bashing" either.
    F.W.I.W. I can't fathom how Suzuki came out with the DRZ400S and none of its "bugs" are fixed yet either. ex. water pump leaks around the seal, the front sprocket/shaft that requires the loc-tite "Gerry-fix".
    I count my blessings every day for the fact that they (Suzuki) at least fixed the DR650se's "Bugs" at the factory.............
    I feel for you Guys!
    Has anyones front fairing "cracked" yet from vibration on your 08 KLR's?....yet another problem I've read about.
    I'm NOT trying to start a "flame" here either. I'm asking because my Brother will be buying a D/S bike with me when I buy another DR650 this spring and I want to keep him "advised". (He'd buy the DR650 with me doesn't like being a copy-cat....maybe a different color?)
    I had him interested in Kawis newest KLX250S untill they decided to screw that model up with their "improvements" to meet the masses and get it into California.
    W.T.F. were they thinking?!
  8. DavidFarrellGarcia

DavidFarrellGarcia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't add a drop between normal oil changes on my 08 KLR, nor do I believe do the vast majority of 08 KLR owners. Still there does seem to be an issue with some of the bikes, but normal?.. I don't think so.
  9. DavidFarrellGarcia

DavidFarrellGarcia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never heard of that problem. I have seen pics of a couple fariings that cracked when dropped during riding.. but any bike with a fairing and no crash bars can do that. Simple fix. Get crash bars. FWIW, my 08 uses no oil between regular change intervals and has no other problems. It just works.
  10. krb

krb n00b

Oddometer:
    Myself and my wife both have 2008 KLR's and are on a trip from Victoria, BC to South America. Through the US and Mexico we used a lot of oil, 5 liters for each bike. The bikes have stopped using oil as our speeds have come down on the roads in Central America. Have not had to add oil for the past 1200k. Bikes do sometimes puff oil under acceleration. Both bikes consumption is almost exactly the same.
  11. zane121

zane121 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 08 with 6K miles and no issues. Doesn't use any oil between changes and no cracked fairing. Some folks on the klr board are have a serious issue with oil consumption. Not sure if it matters but my 2008 was built in March of 2007, I bought it in May 2007. I also broke it in according to the manual but with lots of hills I was up and down on the throttle alot. Again not sure if its just some are built on the midnight assymbly line or what's up.

I like the bike alot and sold.....n/m ..

Best of Luck
  12. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    As long as I have been riding KLRs and following the various boards oil consumption has been something that is all over the map. Some bikes drink it down while others never seem to have a problem. Mine have alway sbeen in the later group, but then I've been known to get very anal about my break ins.

I start out by doing a "thermal" break in before any serious riding. First go around I get the bike up to temp and then shut it down until its completely cool to the touch. Next time around I bring it uup to temp and ride for about 10 minutes before shutting it down and letting it cool off. I repeat this cycle at 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 40 minutes and then a good hour. And during this intial thremal break in a never go over the intial half throttle. This gets me maybe a couple 100 miles into the breakin. Over the next 3000 miles I slowly bring the rpms up to 6000 rpm limit. Then in the next 3000 miles I work on bringing the rpms right up to red line. I also change break in oil at 500, 1500, 3000, 6000, 9000, 12,000 miles and then switch to a synthetic.

I've broken in both my KLRs this way and talked a handful of friends into following the same ritual. None of these bikes have showed any oil loss, no matter what the speed, until the engines were ready for new rings. Don't know if those works as well for the new 2008s, but my current '99 has over 120,000 miles and it has only been in the last year that it has become a steady oil burner.

Oh yea, choosing twisty, hilly roads for the break in is a good thing. Keeps you rolling the throttle on and off which helps to promote seating of the rings and valves.
  13. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    My KLR:

Under 110kph (70mph) - I dont loose a drip of oil

Over 110kph (70mph) - Chug-a-luga Chug-a-luga, I will use around 1 liter per 1000km/600 miles (more in the mountains)