So, Tell Me About Your Road King...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mountain Cruiser, Jan 20, 2013.

1. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    cruise at 80 mph?

Is this possible on a HD? The ones I've pass look like they're stuck on 60. :rofl
  2. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Plus the Road King is a little lighter than the HD touring bikes with fairings. I like them all though and likely would be content with any of them....

3. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 with the reach seat and pull-back bars, it is great in that configuration. This is my favorite of all the bikes I have owned. The ability to change it to suit you is beyond anything any other brand can approach. It just takes $$.
  4. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bit not really that much $$. Parts from bikes made a decade ago fit. (97-07) & (09-?) used seats are 100-200$ windshields are everywhere on CL. Mine was 100$. Detachable everything. Aftermarket trunks? Sissy bar racks? Lowers?

Sart with any RK then get online and find a comfy seat, a cruiser seat, a luggage solution, cold weather bits and touring comforts. It would be thousands at the dealership, but other riders have all this stuff sitting around form cheap. Probably a whole second setup for under 500$.
  5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. Easily. And it's turning a leisurely 3300 rpms if I recall right. Next time I'm on the highway I'll confirm that.
  6. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waiting for spring in Michigan
    Anyone changed Road King handle bars?
    [​IMG]
  7. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. gymply

gymply Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice looking King! Congrats.

Changing bars was one of the first mods I did to my new 2012 FLHR. The stockers were too short with not enough pullback for me. The options are endless, and I'm sure you will find something that fits. I ended up going with a set of 10-inch mini apes (WO515 from http://www.wild1inc.com/). They are a couple of inches taller and three inches more pullback than stock bars. I was able to use the stock brake line and clutch cable but had to add about 11 inches to the handlebar switch wiring. The wires on the throttle by wire unit were long enough to not need any extensions. All the handlebar/throttle wiring has connectors in the headlight nacelle which is convenient. You should not need to pull the gas tank, but I did because I was also installing a GPS mount and ran the power wiring direct to the battery. The worst part about the job was pulling the right side switch wires and throttle wires simultaneously. The throttle wiring comes into the bars from the end and merges with the switch wiring coming in from the hole drilled at the switch housing location. It makes for a pretty big bundle. Using a silicone type lube made the bundle fairly easy to pull. Good luck!
  9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther n00b

Oddometer:
    ...with WO 513 baby apes (8")

[​IMG]
  10. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    I placed the order for a 2014 Candy Orange / Beer Bottle Road King with ABS/Security Package, 28 spoke cast wheels and cruise control with Military Sales. I will pick it up in September when I get back stateside. It's going to be sweet.....:D

11. RKC

RKC n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    So you want to know about Road Kings well they are by far the best harley ever made. I have owned many bikes or the years KLR650,wrx250,MP3,goldwing,Ultra Limited, and several more. The RK is the best of the best incredible on long trips and take the windshield and lowers off on warm days. What else could one want, add on the worlds largest following and you will never be far from an event.
    You will not regret buying one, in fact you will wonder why you waited so long
  12. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

I was just informed by Military Sales that the Candy Orange / Beer Bottle is not going to be available in the 2014 Road King. I have to choose from the following colors:

024-Vivid Black
    073-Brilliant Silver Pearl With Striping
    521-TwoTone Big Blue Pearl & Vivid Black With Striping
    648-Mysterious Red Sunglo With Striping
    661-TwoTone Amber Whiskey & Brilliant Silver Pearl With Striping

I think I will go with 521. So I think it will look something similiar to this, but will be a Road King vice a Road King Classic.

[​IMG]

13. Ironfish653

Ironfish653 Combat Commuter

Oddometer:
    What was the year for the frame update on the FL's?

At the point now where I'm starting to look for a new long-haul commuter, and the Road Glide is on the list. (I like a frame-mounted faring!)
    Looking for one with a couple of years on it, so I don't feel bad about riding it 365, rain-or-shine.
  14. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    School me on the twin cam 88 motor.
    I've been looking at the used RK market. The 88s are priced right. Many have low miles.
    Did these motors have issues?

Where those issues addressed?
  16. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    88" Twin cam on the RK started in 99. Great Crank and timkin bearing setup through 2002. Weak spots were the cam bearings and the tesnioners for the cam chains. most have been addressed by there owners with upgraded bearings , replacment tensioners, or upgraded hydraulic tensioners , or elimination of that setup and replaced with gear driven cams. Must check crank run out to be within specs to run gear driven cams.

2003 to 06, not as strong crank and left side bearing setup. Same deal with the cams as mentioned above.

05's had a batch of bad valve seals, but is was well known and easily addressed by the owners back then.

88's came with a carb or with FI. the FI system is an older design , but there is aftermarket support for it to get different maps to run different builds.

All in all - they are very good motors , just need to make sure the cam bearings and cam chain tensioners have been addressed when purchasing.
  17. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  18. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    The older fuel injection (Marnetti Marelli) started being dropped around 01 and replaced with the Delph. Can't simply say the 88 TC came with the older fuel injection, it came with both. When it was replaced depended on the model bike.
  19. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the added clarity. I went from a carbed EVO 5 speed E Glide to a 2011 SG with the 103 and 6 speed, skipped all those years and didn't have the details on the changes in the FI.
  20. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I added a '13 Road King to the collection, Reminds me of a 50's era Buick or Olds but made with modern materials, great brakes, great tranny, excellent fueling and good running motor. will cruise at 90 all day long great gas mileage.

Completely enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]