Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Western1

Western1 n00b

Oddometer:
    We looked again today. I think we can make it from the saddle out if we could make the hill climb back up that lower area of the saddle. We didn't see any sign of your motorcycles either. LOTS of bear crap. That's about it. You guys are crazy digging bikes out for fun. I'd much rather be riding them rather than diggin them out of canyons creek beds. Lazy or not my bikes back in my garage tucked away. 😀😀😀😀🚁🚁🍺🍺
  2. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
  3. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Think about all the great riding you MISSED by flying out.:huh

That's the whole point about rescuing bikes, it requires riding, not flying. :D

Who can afford a helicopter at hundreds or thousands an hour? not me.:lol3

It sounds to me like your bikes were still up near the saddle and not where you told me they were west of Mill flat Creek?
  4. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Having GPS Coordinates of the locations where everyone has gotten stuck over the years and some GPS Coordinates of how far up the trail, from the bottom, our Verplank explorers got, would be great and would eliminate the verbal descriptions of locations which are almost impossible to be accurate with.

However, saying all that and having also gotten stuck at the bottom of a dead end canyon in 2006, I know that most of us are not thinking about recording exactly where we landed when in situations like this. We are thinking "what do I do now and how do I get out of here?"
  5. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Sorry Jim, the only tracks I make are in the dirt...:D
  6. ffjmoore

ffjmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did a ride today from Fresno towards sequoia but took a dirt road before the park over to the pine flat area. We headed up to black rock. We found a bunch of trails we want to ride next time when we have more fuel and time. Would like to cross at the old washed out bridge below black rock and head up to washon. Anybody done that one?
    few pics, post video later.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ironbasher1

ironbasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride down from millwood / delilah lookout area to the kings river?Thats what your description sounded like?If so you prolly went right by where Perry , Peter and Justin headed up to connect with Verplank! i think from your last 2 pics it shows the private road that goes for a ways up the south side of the kings.
  8. ffjmoore

ffjmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Sampson flat road says Google maps. Down to mill creek area. Then up through balch camp.
  9. pschultheis

pschultheis n00b

Oddometer:
    Were you guys westbound on Herndon about 4:45 today? I think I saw you.
  10. ffjmoore

ffjmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup. That was us.
  11. ironbasher1

Oddometer:
    Are you guys coming to marthas in orosi on the 11th @ 6:30 ?
  12. ffjmoore

ffjmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish. I have a 3 month old baby now so I don't get to ride much. I haven't even been on the forum for a while. I browsed through the last hand full of pages for the highlights. Basically they didn't get enough of verplank do they are going to clean it up. Somebody else didn't know about verplank and got stuck....again, but did not have a forum full of gluttons for punishment to drag then back up hill through poison oak so they just called for a helicopter. #smartmove.

Did I miss anything else?
  13. ironbasher1

Oddometer:
    did you get to ride hites cove, as per a much earlier post?
  14. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'd say you've missed anything, but some of us are starting to get suspicious that one of our local KTM fanboys is starting to go around claiming just about anything orange...

[​IMG]

MV
  15. ffjmoore

ffjmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No. My riding partner backed out on me last minute.
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Funny you say that... Petey the Grinch and I were there yesterday

[​IMG]

From the other side of the river...

[​IMG]
  17. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    No problem. Oldbmw, justsumguy and I will be doing some exploring at the bottom of DerPlank this Saturday to see if we can find all three trails leading to the Rancheria area.

I hope to get more intel on Sampson, Davis and Crabtree trails. I will also mark the intersections I find for future reference.

Maybe we should come up with our own names for the trails and significant locations. I think you have already done some of that.
  18. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might have company. Many of us will be out and about in the area, as we'll be camping and riding in the Millwood area. I'm not sure yet who might be up for the Verplank challenge, but if you see any of us in the area, feel free to say hi. Or if you ride up on our side of the mountain, stop on by.

MV
  19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    On Crabtree, beware of the "hole" and the two inch ledge...:lol3and FiveOjester's 7-pull hill up above the saddle.
    Oh, and barbed wire can be anywhere.:eek1 poison oak abounds.
    Then there's rattlesnakes, bears and evil sprits too. My Red tailed hawk feather did the trick for us.:huh see ya on the trail, I gotta fix that rear brake. Are you guys coming to Martha's?
  20. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:

You forgot to tell them about the honey badger...he don't give a fuck...watch out :eek1 :pep :lol3

All kidding aside, it's the poison oak that's a problem. The area is infested with it & there is no way to avoid it. I got a little bit of it on my wrist this time around, not too bad, but I've fully decontaminated my riding gear just in case:puke1