Just Changed My Plans, Now Not Heading Back Through Mexico, How to Cancel TVIP?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Aventeren, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy--

I recently came through Mexico, and I did not cancel my TVIP, as I was going to use it on the back side when I came back through. However now, I am in Costa Rica, and I have decided to continue on to South America--and as such I will not be heading back to Mexico--and I will therefore not be able to cancel my TVIP.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of canceling the Mexico TVIP from a different country?

Thanks!

:beer
  2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no other way to do it , just on the border .
    If you don't cancel it , you not only loose your $400.00 deposit but you also will not be able to go back to Mexico with any other vehicle registered in your name .
  3. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to me I've heard of people trying to do this at consulates. I can't remember the outcome, but surely it's worth a try.

Now that the TIP deposit has grown so large, the consequences for changing your mind are severe. You make a compelling case for canceling on exit and buying a new one upon return.

Mark
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    When trying to cross back into USA at Tecate in March we were advised there was no TVIP office and would have to go to Mexicali, Tijuana or any Consulate.

Chose Tijuana for instant refund but Imigration offical insisted a Consulate would work ???
  5. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two friends of mine tried to do it in the Mexican Embassy in Guatemala and there was no way . And both were locals,fluid in Spanish and familiar with local negotiating strategies :evil
  6. El Stigo

El Stigo Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer:
    ANYWHERE BETWEEN THE US, MEXICO & WHO KNOWS
    Occasionally the Mexican Consulates in the US (Dallas, LA, Chicago) have a temp program to cancel these. But if you don`t cancel within the period allowed, like GR says, you loose the money and have to cancel before bringing another vehicle into the country.

Call Jorge Duran at the central offices in Mexico City and ask him. He always answers the tough questions for me and is a good guy!

Jorge Duran
    Banjercito IITV en la Cd. de México
    Importación temporal de vehículos:

55 5328 2329
    55 5626 0503
    55 5626 6282
    55 5626 6234
    55 5626 6235.

Av. Industría militar No. 1055
    Col. Lomas de Sotelo
    Del. Miguel Hidalgo, México D.F. C.P. 11200

A un costado de la puerta dos del Hipódromo de Las Américas.

Good luck

El Stigo
  7. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I cancelled my tvip by returning it to the banjercito office. Email them, a fellow named Gerd has been most helpful. He had me return the permit dhl, when it arrived at banjercito he emailed me when the permit was cancelled and refund issued.
    A buddy did the same when his bike broke and he swapped bikes, cancelled one tvip and got another. one has to be cancelled before another can be issued to the same person.

you have to return it before the effective date. if the date of entry into Mexico on the tvip has passed, might be a different story. in any event banjercito folks were very helpful.

good luck.
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right. Which is why this advice isn't going to help the OP, who is in Costa Rica now after passing through Mexico with said TVIP.
  9. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    I have been researching TVIP for Mexico also....maybe this will be useful?

10. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, advdave. I just arrived in Colombia after my passage on the S/V Independence. On a side note, Cartagena is rad.

In any event, I think I may have figured out a solution--well, hopefully. I am flying back to Belize to meet my wife for Christmas, as given that my original plan entailed me riding back through Belize to meet her (and then ride with her up to Cancun for her flight home), I now must fly back to Belize from Cartagena (tomorrow). My wife and I are still planning on working our way up to Cancun for her flight out on January 3rd, so I'm going to bring my TVIP along and see if I can't sweet talk the Banjercito folks to cancel my TVIP for me--even though the bike will be in Colombia. As proof that I still own the bike and did not sell it in Mexico, I am going to show them all of my Central American and Colombia aduana paperwork, which hopefully will be enough to prove to them that I took the bike out of Mexico.

However, in the event that this does not work (which I am having a hard time believing that it won't), I will fall back to the route you have proposed, which also appears reasonable.

At the end of the day, I have until April 3, 2013 to solve this problem, which even if I have to go the courier route shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for your help...I'll update everyone on how things turn out.

:beer

11. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with this. I do not think you will be successful. Once the valid period of the TVIP begins, to effect a cancellation, both you and the bike need to be present before the aduana official.

A typical official, spying your other aforementioned CA and Colombia aduana paperwork, might reasonably surmise you traveled that far with your bike. The big "however" inserted here is the fact that there is zero proof you didn't return to Mexico and dump the bike. I know you didn't, you know you didn't, but as an aduana official, he can't assume you didn't, no matter how good your story. Further, and probably most importantly, it isn't his job to turn into Judge Judy and listen to this tale and study your evidence, and come to some roadside judgement and render a verdict.

On an unusually lucky day for you, if the stars align, you just might be able to get the official to acquiesce to your request, as they say. But if I had to bet my own money, I'd bet against you. You will be swimming upstream against the current, by which I mean, you will be attempting to skirt the established TVIP process, which is eyes on you, the bike, and the bonding document itself - all at the same time.

I hope I lose and you win this bet.