New starter torque limiter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Sadlsor, Aug 18, 2007.

1. SpeedStar

SpeedStar XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer:
    Sadlsor or roughidle - can you verify the correct part number for the replacement generator cover gasket?
    I think it is 60030040100 but want to make sure the replacement one is not different than the original. My dealer must have messed up with this gasket because mine is leaking at the bottom too.
  2. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    SpeedsStar - I don't have the part in front of me now; I'm at work. But the gasket was no different from the original, and in fact, the replacement generator case / cover had the same part number as the original. Hmmm...

I compared part numbers from the pieces in my replacement kit with those in the Spare Parts Manual for my 2005 -S, and going from memory, they are the same.

That said, this is my 2nd gasket re-install (first replaced the stator, re-used original gasket), and this time I did replace the gasket with the new one that came in the box when I replaced my torque limiter.

I didn't experience any leaks after the first time, but it was tricky getting the gasket to stay in place. I mangled it a little bit, but apparently not enough to count.

This time I used a hillbilly trick that helped with the gasket. Pics shortly...
  3. SpeedStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Sadlsor. I will get my local dealer to order a new gasket. Hopefully it will go on the right way this time.
  4. Sadlsor

Oddometer:
    You already saw the contents of the package a couple of posts back. So let's dive in:

You're going to lose some oil when you loosen the generator case for removal. Be ready.
    [​IMG]

The good news is, you can leave all this alone.
    [​IMG]

This is what you have to deal with.
    [​IMG]

These are the original parts. There is not much wear to be seen, but we'll show the differences in a moment. The large flat washer on top and the smaller freewheel cog below are the culprits in this horrendous noise at startup.
    [​IMG]

Here is the new torque limiter, lying on top of the original for comparison. Note the different washer and capture nut on the shaft.
    [​IMG]

I tried unsuccessfully to show that there is a distinct curvature to the washer on the new torque limiter, as it is raised in the middle. Is this the bevel washer ridewestKTM refers to? The orgiginal washer is flat, but this one is "domed".
    [​IMG]

Here you see the back sides of the new torque limiter (left) and the old (right.) While the "spur" gears have 10 teeth each, there is a distinct profile difference, seen here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the new (left) and old (right) idler gears. This is the small cog with the snap-ring that lies beneath the actual torque limiter in the opening pictures. (If I had my Spare Parts Manual at work I'd give you the REAL names of the pieces... sorry!)
    [​IMG]

Note the difference in profiles here. New idler gear has a taller shank or collar, but narrower teeth or cogs as compared to the older gear.
    [​IMG]

New torque limiter and idler gear installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last time I buttoned up the generator cover, I struggled a bit getting it lined up with the gasket while fighting that rotor magnet. This time I employed some cheaters. These are just the cutoffs from cable ties used elsewhere. I use them for smearing grease and other mundane chores. Now they have a new use.
    [​IMG]

And they actually worked! At least for me... it was much smoother, and the gasket wasn't falling out the entire time.
    [​IMG]
  5. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadlsor:
    Great pic's!! Damn I got to learn how to do that. Ya know your stock limiter looks like it had 50% of it's life left - another 4 starts :evil .

easier to change out than get
  6. Sadlsor

Oddometer:
    You're right on. I measured the new washer with a dial caliper, and averaged .085 at the outside edge over 4 or 5 readings, using the depth gauge part of the tool.

Incidentally, some here have expressed that their local dealer tells 'em the parts are back-ordered at KTM. Local Birmingham dealer told me they could get it in 2 weeks. Donnie Graham (Graham KTM, Senatobia MS) was placing an unrelated order with KTM, and added this kit to his order and it came overnight.

Donnie is a good one. But he's ruining my unflattering opinion of motorcycle dealerships... :D
  7. SpeedStar

Oddometer:
    Great pics Sadlsor! Also, good tip for replacing the cover and holding the gasket in place. I hope my dealer can get the gasket quick. He thought it would be different than original as part of the kit.
  8. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Excellent write-up ... love the tie wrap alignment pins :deal
  9. rumpus

rumpus shweeeeeeee!

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2005 950 that's now out of warranty by a year, and of course my starter is finally eating shit. It's always had the nasty CLACK!, but apparently not bad enough to warrant a replacement while the warranty was still valid. Now it's stranded my twice (makes a noise like an impact wrench), but still starts the bike most of the time.

Has anyone gotten KTM to replace the torque limiter out of warranty? My local dealer is less than helpful, and I'm concerned they still won't approve a replacement since it doesn't clack every single time. All I want are the parts, I'll gladly replace it myself. Should I contact KTM directly? Any advice?

Thanks.
  10. MY ADV

MY ADV "ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer:
    Yep, Mine is two years old, has 42K miles and my local dealer performed the TSB last week. No questions asked. I had tried with another dealer who refused me several times.

You may need to call around and find a dealer who will work with you. This is a factory repair and should be at no cost to the owner, regardless of warranty.
  11. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can't get the parts (fast enough or at all) others have welded the stock one (makes it like an 04), or use the washer fix for temporary or longer.
  12. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Your dealer should replace it, even out of warranty.

Worst case scenario is you have to buy the kit yourself. It's $180. I ordered mine from ktm-parts.com.

Again, if it's clacking every start or completely failed, the dealer should replace it regardless of warranty status.
  13. jimrazz

jimrazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 and it's doing the clack-clack-whirl! I haven't taken it apart yet, but I want to have parts on hand for when I do.

I talked to Cory at KTM hutt prior to looking at this thread, and he explained a little about it and was very helpful, but now after reading this I feel very educated on the matter, and somewhat at ease as far as the fix.

I'm not sure of the differences in the "04 mentioned in the thread, but just know that it has the exact same issue as described. I have 18K on the odo.

I may be giving Cory a call back. I know he mentioned a one way bearing as suspect, but if there is a kit perhaps he can order one up for me.

Thanks for all the great info and pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't confuse the starter sprag clutch with the torque limiter.

The sprag clutch is the "cage and rollers" thing that allows the starter to turn the engine but freewheels in the other direction (ie the engine doesn't turn the starter). If this fails, the starter will just spin and the engine won't turn when you press the button.

If the old style torque limiter fails, you get the "clack clack" symptoms, the starter still doesn't turn the engine but it's a different part that needs to be replaced.
  16. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what does the limiter actually do..........does it act as a shock absorber when starting? I shall have to get my spare cover out for a good look and refresher course!
  17. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    The limiter was designed to slip before the sprag broke duing engine kickback, open throttle starting, hydrolock, etc.
  18. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Yup. Ordered the kit today. I was cheering my friend in a marathon. Went to hop on the bike and it sounded like there was a roll of quarters in there. It has been loud latley and I almost ordered the kit the other day when ordering some other bits. That'll learn me. hopefully will get it this week.
  19. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-lc8-torque-limiting-modification-kit-60040016044

Yes it still exists since it's laying on my desk right now. :)