Why 276c not 2610..??

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by rocks, Oct 5, 2004.

1. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. pbansen

pbansen Hosehead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also pondering the 276C vs. the 2610 and I'm wondering how necessary the Garmin memory card is to the 276. I've found that the base map works pretty well for the areas I generally ride in (I'm presently using a III+ and the base map in that is quite good and just about all I need). The potential for expansion is certainly a good thing, but I want to keep the cost to a reasonable level at least initially.

If you just buy the 276C without the 128 MB or 256 MB card, can you download routes and waypoints to the GPS or does it need the memory card to have the memory available to store the routes and waypoints? Or is 'map memory' such as you'd use with the City Select software different than 'route and waypoint memory'?

Thanks,

Pete Bansen
  3. yzf1kr

yzf1kr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The memory card is only used for storing maps, the 276 stores waypoints, tracks and routes on its internal memory. (just like the 26xx)

The best comparisation between of a 276c vs a 26xx is to see them as an all-round vs a on-road unit.

The 26xx is designed for use on the road, especialy for in-car use. It has the best on-road features like area avoidance, large memory, touch screen.

But as soon as you get out of the car or of the paved roads the 276c is the superior unit. It has its own power-supply, large tracklog, off-road(=marine) navigation options etc etc.

So if you are spending most of your time on paved roads the 26xx is the best unit, but for any other purpose it is way behind the 276c.