F700GS Vario side case rail replacement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by hombrent, Dec 17, 2012.

1. hombrent

hombrent n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a new F700GS that came with the pre-installed vario side case mounts. But I don't really ( or "really dont" ) like the OEM BMW paniers.

I bought a set of Givi cases and mounts- and am trying to install them on my bike. I bought the PL690 tubes and E194 top mount.

I got the E194 (topmount) installed. There were parts on the passenger grab bars - where the cases would clip to that interfered with the top mount - but I cut through the useless (useless to me because I am not using the vario cases ) metal clip rings to make room for the givi topmount plate.

My problem now is that there are still mounting bars for the vario cases under the bike that interfere with the givi mounts. It is obvious how the OEM mounts attach to the bike at the front - that will be easy to remove - but at the tail, the mounts seem to be embedded right inside the tail - with the attaching bolts not accessible at all. I am not a mechanic at all - so I am a little afraid of diving into blindly disassembling the entire tail of my bike without any instructions to figure out how to remove the unwanted parts.

The givi instructions assume that the bike did not come with this option - and mount differently than the OEM mounts - so there is no instruction on removing them.

Does anybody know the steps or how hard it is to get at the rear case holder mount points?

Thanks
  2. dalebor

dalebor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to remove the seat, grab rails, and top case mount if there is one. Then there are a couple T25 torx screws (i don't remember how many) that need to be removed to get off the black plastic top tail piece that has the BMW logo on it. The bolts you want are under this plastic piece.

The bottom bracket has two tabs the go through the fender and are bolted to the rear sub-frame. You may have to clip some zip ties that secure the turn signal wires to get a socket on the bolt heads. Then remove the two torx bolts on front of each side of the bracket and pull the whole thing down. This is easier on a centerstand.

Dale B
  3. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Oh Boy! You destroyed the top OEM luggage rack? I have three standard grab bars without the mushroom lugs I'd have traded you. I know, useless to you. The object is to sell the OEM racks that will fit the older ones as well although a little different. Too bad you're far away.

But yes, just remove the lower bar as Dalebor described.
  4. hombrent

hombrent n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks dalebor,

That was the info that I needed. I managed to get the bars off ( it was difficult to maneuver it out of place after unbolting it - I basically had to remove the exhaust for clearance ).

The givi racks still wont fit - because of the remainder of the clips on the grab rails. A little more cutting, and I should be able to fix that.

I really should have traded the vario mounts to someone with the normal bars. But I was impatient and dumb.