Ancient Mariners ride the Continental Divide

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lakota, Jun 30, 2012.

1. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ride report chronicles the continuing misadventures of the Ancient Mariners. Previous rides to Alaska and Labrador can be found in my sig line.

It is intended to be a complement to the SoMD Adventure Riders Continental Divide Ride Report
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802385

How this was all put together can be reviewed here
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735441

An additional report from one of the riders can be found here
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803267

Yet another report from our group
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809397

Since there were a lot of folks interested and involved in this ride there are a number of reports and more to come. I will be trying to find them all and attach links.

But i digress. June 28 rolled around and my trusty steed was ready to roll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't need to do much to get ready for this ride but I did add a mount for the GoPro camera.

[​IMG]

Makes the cockpit crowded.

[​IMG]

There was one problem - the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs forced the other half of the Mariners to evacuate his home and hedidn't take a bike with him. This maybe a single Mariner ride.

As is tradition all my availbe family members gathered at a lodal restaurant for a last supper with me before I left. My plan is always to ride about 100 miles the first evening and then start in earnest in the morning.
    My grandson checking to see if he can reach the pegs yet.

[​IMG]

My new granddaughter (7 days old) deciding she doesn't like motos yet

[​IMG]

The younger of the Ancient Mariners ready to roll. First stop Ruther Glen VA.

[​IMG]

While this is a CDR report I have to get to Antelope Wells, which entails a ride across country. To keep myself entertained I will be working on an IronButt Association Master Traveler Award. This requires me to visit a minimum of 50 National Parks in 25 states and get stamps at each of the parks visited. Most of the report until I get to New Mexico will be a history lesson.

this ride ended in a face plant chronicled here
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806261
  2. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 1 Ruther Glen to Tennessee
    Leaving Ruther Glen

[​IMG]

First stop Greensboro NC
    Battle of Guilford Courthouse Visitors' Center

[​IMG]

The Battle of Guilford Court House was a battle fought on March 15, 1781 in Greensboro, the county seat of Guilford County, North Carolina, during the American Revolutionary War. A force of 1,900 British troops under the command of Lieutenant General Charles Cornwallis defeated an American force of 4,000 troops, commanded by Major General Nathanael Greene. Despite the relatively small numbers of troops involved, the battle is considered pivotal to the American victory in the Revolution. Before the battle, the British appeared to have had great success in conquering much of Georgia and South Carolina with the aid of strong Loyalist factions, and thought that North Carolina might be within their grasp. In the wake of the battle, Greene moved into South Carolina, while Cornwallis chose to march into Virginia and attempt to link up with roughly 3500 men under British Major General Phillips and American turncoat Benedict Arnold. These decisions allowed Greene to unravel British control of the South, while leading Cornwallis to Yorktown and eventual surrender to Major General George Washington and Lieutenant General Comte de Rochambeau.
    The battle is commemorated at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.

Now to Kings Mountain battlefield in South Carolina
    Visitors Center

[​IMG]

The Battle of Kings Mountain was a decisive battle between the Patriot and Loyalist militias in the Southern campaign of the American Revolutionary War. The actual battle took place on October 7, 1780, nine miles south of the present-day town of Kings Mountain, North Carolina in rural York County, South Carolina, where the Patriot militia defeated the Loyalist militia under a Major Ferguson.

Ferguson had arrived in North Carolina in early September 1780 with the purpose of recruiting for the Loyalist militia and protecting the flank of Lord Cornwallis' main force. Ferguson issued a challenge to the rebel militias to lay down their arms or suffer the consequences; in response, the Patriot militias led by James Johnston, William Campbell, John Sevier, Joseph McDowell and Isaac Shelby rallied for an attack on Ferguson.

After receiving intelligence on the oncoming attack, Ferguson elected to retreat to the safety of Lord Cornwallis' host; however, the Patriots caught up with the Loyalists at Kings Mountain on the border with South Carolina. Having achieved surprise on the Loyalists, the Patriots attacked and surrounded the Loyalists, inflicting heavy casualties. After an hour of battle, Ferguson was shot dead while trying to break the rebel ring, after which the Loyalists surrendered. The Patriot soldiers gave no quarter to the surrendering Loyalists until the rebel officers re-established control over their men. Although victorious, the Patriots had to quickly move from the area for fear of Cornwallis' advance.
    This park is also the terminus of the Overmountain Victory Trail. The Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail (OVHT) is part of the U.S. National Trails System. It recognizes the Revolutionary War Overmountain Men, Patriots from what is now East Tennessee who crossed the Great Smoky Mountains and then fought in the Battle of Kings Mountain in South Carolina.

From here is is just head west till I figure the day is over. As some of you are aware the East is having a real heat wave. The temps kept climbing until the thermometer on the bike read 107F. This may have been just the effect of the road but take my word for it - it was uncomfortable. 20 miles past Knoxville I called it quits for the day.
  3. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 2 heading to Little Rock
    Leaving the motel.

[​IMG]

Stones River Visitors' Center

[​IMG]

The Battle of Stones River or Second Battle of Murfreesboro (in the South, simply the Battle of Murfreesboro), was fought from December 31, 1862, to January 2, 1863, in Middle Tennessee, as the culmination of the Stones River Campaign in the Western Theater of the American Civil War. Of the major battles of the Civil War, Stones River had the highest percentage of casualties on both sides. Although the battle itself was inconclusive, the Union Army's repulse of two Confederate attacks and the subsequent Confederate withdrawal were a much-needed boost to Union morale after the defeat at the Battle of Fredericksburg, and it dashed Confederate aspirations for control of Middle Tennessee.

While I was waiting for the park to open Jack called me and told me that the evacuation order was lifted and he would be joining me in Albuquerque:clap to start the ride after I get new tires at the BMW dealer.
    Interstate 40 is basically a boring ride. The only excitement was trying to find detours around accidents and construction near Memphis and Little Rock. Stopped for the night in North Little Rock.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    That will be an iconic photo one day. :D
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for another RR from the Ancient Mariners. Did the CDR last September, but on small bikes. Looks like you'll have no mud on the NM section. That's a good thing!
  6. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like it's gonna be awesome! :thumb

Lakota, I just came across this, you should consider promoting this in a few of the of threads you haunt. :lol3
    Just kidding... I am so watching this!

:lurkIN!
    And have fun!
  7. Jaqen H'ghar

Jaqen H'ghar Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer:
    Did this same South to North route this time last year and now I'm missing all that fun I had out there on the trail.
    Watch out for those afternoon rains when on dirt, that mud is like ice when you least expect it. :eek1
  8. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 3
    The change to Central Time has my body clock screwed up and I wake up at odd times. This morning I had two thoughts racing through my brain as I lay there trying to go back to sleep. First, I am so tired of people asking me "Aren't you hot in that suit?". The temperature has been running at 100F +. I'd be hot if I were naked. And my standard reply referencing asphalt allergies is getting old as well and I can't come up with any new smart ass remarks. Second, it is really strange how the body reacts to the stress of high temps. The only thing that brings me back to life when I am overcooked is fountain Coke, not bottles, not Pepsi in any form. It's fountain Coke or nothing. And it works for me.

Since my ride west is driven by the opening and closing of Park Visitors' Centers, my departure times are adjusted to arrive as they open.

Ready to go

[​IMG]

The ride starts out with along run down I-40 to Fort Smith. As noted the days have been REALLY warm so I find these signs very amusing. And there are a lot of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally I get to the Fort Smith National Historic Site,which is located along the Arkansas River.The park visitor center is now located in the old Barracks/Courthouse/Jail building. Exhibits in the visitor center focus on Fort Smith’s military history from 1817–1871, western expansion, Judge Isaac Parker and the federal court's impact on Indian Territory, U.S. Deputy Marshals and outlaws, Federal Indian policy, and Indian Removal including the Trail of Tears.Located on the grounds are the foundation remains of the first Fort Smith (1817–1824), the commissary building (c. 1838) and a reconstruction of the gallows used by the federal court.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antique paddy wagon

[​IMG]

Leaving Ft Smith it is back onto I-40 and a miserable ride3 west. The day is ride an hour, buy gas, have a drink, pour water over myself, repeat. I am very tired until the GPS tell me it is time to head North to my next Site, the Battle of Washita National Historic SIte. The site protects and interprets the setting along the Washita River where Lt. Col. George A. Custer led the 7th U.S. Cavalry on a surprise dawn attack against the Southern Cheyenne village of Peace Chief Black Kettle on November 27, 1868. The attack was an important event in the tragic clash of cultures of the Indian Wars era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving the Site I am forced to ride roads like this

[​IMG]

The speed limit was 65mph in Oklahoma and then 70 after crossing the Texas border.

Still having a problem with pictures using the GoPro.

Tomorrow is a site in Texas and then to ABQ to rendezvous with the SoMD Adventure RIders.
  9. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bottom line up front - I made it to ABQ and found Jack at the hotel. THe Ancient Mariners are now ready for the ride - after I get my bike serviced.
    Ready to ride

[​IMG]

What you get to see in Texas

[​IMG]

First stop Alibates Flint Quarry:

[​IMG]

Visitor Control Station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For thousands of years, people came to the red bluffs above the Canadian River for flint, vital to their existence. Demand for the high quality, rainbow-hued flint is reflected in the distribution of Alibates Flint through the Great Plains and beyond. Indians of the Ice Age Clovis Culture used Alibates flint for spear points to hunt the Imperial Mammoth before the Great Lakes were formed. The flint usually lies just below the surface at ridge level in a layer up to six feet thick. Because these quarries are located on Lake Meredith, erosion of the lake made the flint more accessible to these people. The quarry pits were not very large, between 5 to 25 feet wide and 4 to 7 feet deep. Many of these quarries were exploited by the Antelope Creek people, of the Panhandle culture, between 1200 and 1450. The stone-slabbed, multi-room houses built by the Antelope Creek people have long been of interest to the public and studied by archaeologists. Today this area is protected by the U.S. National Park Service and can only be viewed by ranger-led guided tours, which must be made in advance.

After leaving the quarryit is an easy ride back to I-40 and a 270+ mile ride Albuquerque. Boring is the operative word, as is hot.

When I get there I go to the Petroglyph National Monument, which stretches 17 miles (27 km) along Albuquerque's West Mesa, a volcanic basalt escarpment that dominates the city’s western horizon.

[​IMG]

The7,236 acre (29.28 km2) monument is cooperatively managed by the National Park Service and the City of Albuquerque. The western boundary of the monument features a chain of dormant fissure volcanoes. Beginning in the northwest corner, Butte volcano is followed to its south by Bond, Vulcan, Black and JA volcanoes.Petroglyph National Monument protects a variety of cultural and natural resources including five volcanic cones, hundreds of archeological sites and an estimated 24,000 images carved by Ancestral Pueblo peoples and early Spanish settlers. Many of the images are recognizable as animals, people, brands and crosses; others are more complex. Their meaning was, possibly, understood only by the carver. These images are the cultural heritage of a people who have long since moved into other areas and moved on through history for many reasons. The monument is intended as a protection for these lands and sites from and for visitors to see and appreciate for generations to come. The National Monument is managed in a manner that allows recreational use.

[​IMG]

Visitor Center

[​IMG]

Phase 1 of the ride is complete.
    Statistics - 9 states, 7 National Parks, Monuments, or Historic Sites, 2,275 miles
    Phase 2 starts tomorrow after new tires and an oil change.
  10. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    Awesome :thumb

Glad you were able to meet up with Jack.
  11. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    July 3
    Today will be an easy day. Sleep in and be at Sandia BMW for my 0840 appointment.

[​IMG]

This is a nice place and very professional. Can't say enough good about them. Since they knew 5 of us were coming for tires and other stuff they reserved the entire service department for us so that we would get in and out in a hurry to get on the road.

Service Department

[​IMG]

New sneakers
    TKC on the front

[​IMG]

Karoo on the back

[​IMG]

Jack doing something while the other bikes are being worked on

[​IMG]

Dorito's and my bike ready to go

[​IMG]

EOD3MC's KTM, which has been giving him fits so far. Hopefully he has gotten it tweaked before the real ride starts tomorrow

[​IMG]

The Ancient Mariners ready to roll

[​IMG]

We leave ahead of the other four as we ride slower and we were thinking about going to the border this afternoon. Heat changed those plans. On the way south stopped to pee and found this interesting historical marker

[​IMG]

Tomorrow comes the dirt - the reason we are all here. The forecast has a good possibility of rain so we could see some of the infamous New Mexico mud
  12. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    from Jairlie

For those wondering why there have been no updates to this ride report, Lakota crashed and is in the ICU at University Medical Center in El Paso. Stalwart that he is, after crashing and regaining consciousness, he rode his bike 60 miles to the emergency room in Deming NM. A CT scan showed bleeding on the brain and he was transported to the nearest trauma unit in El Paso. Your should see the damage to his Schuberth helmet. Two more CT scans show the bleeding has stopped, but now the doctors are concerned about an irregularity they have noticed in his heart beat. So the saga continues and the younger of the Ancient Mariners is more than ready to go home. Just ask his doctors and Nurses.

[​IMG]

waitng for the hospital to let him go
  13. chrome bandit

chrome bandit Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer:
    best wishes for a speedy recovery, glad it wasn't worse.
  14. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    WHAT THE WHAT!!!:eek1

Thinking about you Marty
  15. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes and speedy recovery to OLE Ancient Mariner, gotta be one tough ole one from the pics.

I was sitting here in Pagosa just waiting for this RR to come over Elwood Pass for a visit. Sorry it may be delayed.

Hang in there, hope all is going well. Will be here should you need anything.
    ciao, gale
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read this on the other thread. I just feel awful. I was looking forward to another epic Ancient Mariner RR. This one started well, until it didn't. :cry

Please tell Lakota not to fool around with that injury. Both my sons had serious concussions in road racing. They take a long time to come back from. Months. My oldest son told his brother after, that he wouldn't know what feeling good was like until he finally did. That was so true and it was a long way off.

Glad you are there to help sort things. Best wishes to both of you.

-P
  17. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Serious bummer! I am glad you are okay. Keeping you in our thoughts
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thursday morning we are awake at 0400 ad when we look outside it is raining. We figure that with the rai we should go to Antelope Wells to see the border and let the roads dry out. A reasonable thought at the time. It continues to rain for the rest of the morning.

We are on the road shortly after five heading west. We cross the Continental Divide on I-10

[​IMG]

As an aside we see 5 east bound trains on the way west.

the road south to Antelope Wells is a long lonely highway

[​IMG]

We cross the Continental Divide for the second (and later third) time

[​IMG]

Eventually we get to Antelope Wells , which is still closed and will be so until 0800

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we get back to I-10 we meet some Border Patrol Agents who tell us they have seen the SoMD riders and we are an hour behind them. While we are airing down and generally fooling around these bike racers come by. Supposedly they have bee racing the CD trail

[​IMG]

We start out on the first of the CDR dirt and it isn't too bad. About ten miles up the road I hit some soft sand, start gyrating, and eventualy lose control of the bike.

[​IMG]

looks like my crap is everywhere and all three cases will have to be replaced.

I wake up 4 minutes later and it takes about 20 minutes for me to get back to normal. Jack call 91s and they can't figure out where we are. We may have missed a turn on the trail. We decide to ride out and meet the BP on the way out. The captain leads us the 60 miles to the hospital in Deming. My last time on the bike. get an ambulance to the ICU in El Paso.

It is now Friday. Have been cleared by the Neurologists and need the Cardiologists to say green light. I feek fine but will have to follow up when i get to Annapolis. No motos for two weeks:(:
    MedJet assist will get the bike to BoB's BMW.

Wish I were with the SoMD adventure riders

Everyone ride safely
  19. pbharvey

pbharvey Tagoholic

Oddometer:
    Glad you're OK Marty. :thumb
  20. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Marty,

glad you are okay. Have a safe flight home.