NORRA Mexican 1000 - 2013 Rules / Updates

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The 2013 rules have been posted:

http://norra.com/mexican1000.php

Note that I split them into two different sections:

1. The General Rules - all the stuff about timing, penalties, and the structure of the event
    2. Vehicle Rules - everything related to classes, bike prep, et cetera

All in all, with the editing I did, the rule book is about 60 pages shorter than last year, so enjoy not reading as much. :deal :lol3

Cheers!
    Anders
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Maybe 2013 will be the year with a superspecial.. Great work AG !
  3. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I read it wrong or is there no place for 525/530 ktm's?
  4. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    MLO ... Open class
  5. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it. Should have not tried to read that on my phone. :D
  6. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Great job on the rules Anders, they look good!
  7. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree! Great work.
  8. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Anders,

Curious as to the thoughts behind having both the ML400 (up to 400cc 1985 and newer) and MRR450 Rally Raid. Are there going to be more specifics as to what dictates a "Rally Raid" motorcycle?

Also, I see just as last year there is a note about GPS trackers being attached to the vehicles. They had that in the rules last year but didn't actually use them. Curious if they plan on doing that this year. Could open up some more opportunities to have the roadbook divert some from the GPS track so that people navigating by roadbook could get some sort of bonus (verified by the tracker). There was talk of this last year but due to logistics and manpower they (understandably) didn't do any special navigation bonus.
  9. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    MRR450 is to keep dakar pros from coming in and wiping the floor with everyone else on historic bikes, and also to give people building bikes to dakar size/spec a spot.

Cheers!
    Anders

Anders
  10. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    So if Octavio enters again we will be on the same class. Might need to bore my Yamaha to 451cc just to avoid that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  11. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I thought he was running Dakar this year...or next year... you know what I mean:lol3
  12. pedrodepacas

pedrodepacas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 450x Honda Europe kit like Ocavio's that is available. It's in good shape. PM if interested.
  13. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple comments/questions on the updated rules:

"9.5. Starting Order for the first Special Stage each day after the first will be based, not on the results, but rather on the modified average speed of each entrant. The average speeds for each stage are computed. Some stages will be thrown out in an effort to ignore anomalies (such as stages where a racer was stuck in a ditch for four hours), and the remaining “good” stages are averaged together. These calculations are based on all previous days, to get the best possible picture of the representative speed of each vehicle. The racers are then ranked with the highest result first and lowest result last. No penalty times are included when determining the mid-rally start orders."

Seems unfair to penalize the folks who didn't have a mechanical/bad section once the race has started, however minor that penalty.

"10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes."

How is this going to work in practice? As long as you get there 5 seconds before your start time, you're good? Do you have to be there the full 60 minutes early and lined up?

One thing that looks like it's missing:

1) You have to turn in your timecard at the finish line of each day with no exceptions or you max out.

Looking forward to '13 and electronic scoring! =)
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes."

I think this is ment for the Start of each day ( not Stage)
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Actually it is safer to have everyone that typically runs at the same pace running together. You really want Robby Gordon working his way though everyone after he has one of his typical brain farts? (Actually Rubby won't be there this next race but still....)

Published start time would be at the first stage of the day. I don't know about the rest of you question as all of the stages I navigated in we were leading overall, we simply drove to the front of the line, presented our paperwork on time, and off we went!
    The official time is also written on the sticker on the vehicle.
  16. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Bike only specials ?

How about roadbook navagation only?

Fuel Minimums?

Can riders CARRY GAS ?

Malles Moto ?

why not vehicle age groups 60-70... 70-80,,80's to 90 ?

Wish this pot was stirred earlier..
  17. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slow people on bikes are going to get passed by the cars no matter what. Robby did pass me one time during the race and he was quite polite!

I don't think it's a big deal, so I'm not going to dwell on it, but I think if two people are pretty similar in speed and the slightly faster one had screwed up, they should have to work to pass the slightly slower one who didn't. I only know of one stage last year where I found the dust made it hard to pass/see, but it might as well not be the other way around.

I'm referring to the first stage of the day, not the following ones and I guess I'm asking specifically about how this will work to avoid a repeat of Certain People showing up at the last possible second instead of sitting there for an hour like the rest of us. =) If you really do need to be there 60 minutes early, I'd like to know that as well.

I hear that, but last year we had a bike without times recorded for 2 or 3 of the 4 days and it could affect people's strategies. No reason to be in that situation so we should make sure we can have (mostly) accurate results each night.

It's fun, it's a rally, I get it, but when it doesn't cause us to have less fun, it might as well be more correct!
  18. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually what MaineRoot and I have been discussing is basically that -- My trucks carry all those "unsupported" riders supplies from night to night. I'd have it organized with everyone at the same hotel (even in BofLA). Riders do their own maintenance from their own boxes. We supply chemicals, some misc. parts, etc.
    Unlike Dakar you're not in a tent though :D
    We also transport all these unsupported (no personal truck/people support) bikes and supplies to Mexicali and back north from Cabo.

I don't think a "no carry" rule can be made unless Norra was to handle the fuel (ala Dakar).
    Can you imagine if we all HAD to rely on a pit service that happened to not be in the correct spot (can't imagine that ever happening, right?).
    It would also play into stategy; hope you make the miles of a section with only what your tank holds, or carry extra bouncing around weight and possibly have to stop and dump it in, or don't carry and pray the pit service gas is actually where it's supposed to be.

At the Nevada Rally we were not allowed to carry gas ever on our bodies but the pits were only like 90 miles apart and you'd see your own personal truck or if it was a longer section then BITD trailered your personal gas jug out to a set spot. So really it was a non-issue, everyone was in the same boat, it was reliable.
  19. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    Fairness, which many people have different opinions on, is on part of the balancing act... one other part is safety. The more people don't have to fight past slower people, the better. Besides, the ultimate "fairness" is the results. You can't escape that those mechancials or slow sections ultimately move you further and further down the results.

The penalties section: 10.4.1.3

Cheers,
    Anders
  20. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Anders, Great work on the many options and rule streamlining... I think what people are bringing up is cheating and preferential treatment that was witnessed last year without really saying it or naming names. There also should be a solo or team clarification or a seperate classification for multiple riders. I can also see many classes that may not even have an entry opening up this option.