The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sources for both are getting thin, and who knows what the future brings.

The CZ is a GREAT little gun...little on the heavy side, double action...that funky poly-whatever the heck barrel and not regular rifling.
  2. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The main thing is that there is no place to shoot it safely - not at the distance they are meant to shoot at - IMO 600 yards is minimal for that rifle and would not be a whole lot of fun. My original intention was to keep it until I retired and then go in search of a place to shoot it when I had nothing but time on my hands.

But yeah, for the cost, unless a person has the time and place to shoot it and liked to shoot at really long distances with really large cartridges, it probably wouldn't be as fun as just plinking with a .22 (my fave).

I don't know about it being a good time to sell - everybody wants an AR-15 or AK or something like that. Few people want a 50 BMG. But we'll see...

I am not inclined to get a table or go hauling it around a gun show so I guess I will put a sign on my back while hauling around the other rifle at a gun show.
  3. tcs06

tcs06 The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Newest addition to my collection. Tough to find in this configuration and this one is used but nearly pristine condition. Can't wait to get it dirty! :evil
  4. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Funny, it looks just like my single six. :D Nice to see a revolver amongst all the semi autos.:clap
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago, I put this together for my former commanding officer in Vietnam:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted these photos when I did a ride tale about taking the trip from NC to WI. Sorry for the duplications.

Mike
  6. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    love the "bomb disneyland"
  7. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the stainless steel Ruger single actions are wonderful handguns. That one is particularly desireable. And I agree with the guy who posted above...it is nice to see these amongst the sea of steel stampings and plastic that dominate the market today.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Dave, I can't believe you noticed that. The last line is "bomb everything." Back in those days, the US would cease bombing as a result of the Paris Peace Talks. Every time that happened, the VC & NVA would be very active and we'd get in more fights with them. A long time ago . . . . . .

Mike
  9. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%, Model 66-2 and a K22 Masterpiece

[​IMG]
  10. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    And yet today I was out eyeballing this
    [​IMG]
  11. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Hunting for one with a 4&5/8 or 5.5 inch tube. The 45 IS the classic caliber in a SA, yes?

Thoughts on a Vaquero in .45 Colt? I've fired the Blackhawk, and wonder how the different grip shape would compare. That, and no rear sight?

Lyle
  12. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that whole pic is so cool mate. is that a period cover or something you put together for the shot?
  13. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Had both in .45LC, got rid of the Vaquero and still have the Blackhawk. Didn't care for the Vaquero at all. I like good adjustable sights and the fixed sights on the Vaquero were very crude and not very accurate. It also had horrendous felt recoil compared to the Blackhawk with any given load. I have since picked up a Super Redhawk in .454, so I tend to shoot light loads in the .45LC mostly and save the .454 for the big boomers and hunting loads. The heaviest .45LC hunting loads feel like a target load in the .454 because of the weight, and since the .454 makes a better hunting cartridge, I am giving the Blackhawk an easy life of light cowboy loads anymore.

:beer
    Tim
  14. tcs06

Oddometer:
    Like this?

[​IMG]
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Dave, I just put it together for the shot. The old C-ration cans, my "boonie" hat, helmet and a medics bag I used for camera equipment were all carried in combat in Vietnam. The boots were a recent find. I purchased my parent's home and found my old combat boots. My mother had saved them. A long time ago, I was a photographer with the 1st Infantry Division.

Mike
  16. live2offroad

live2offroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Oh My Gawd... I want one of those, just like that.. That is just gorgeous..
  17. tcs06

Oddometer:
    Thank you. While it's no 2" Python, I'm quite fond of this too! :1drink Also in 45 Colt.

[​IMG]
  18. CurtOKC

CurtOKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have a 45LC blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel and had replaced the factory grip frame with a Qualite brass birdshead grip frame. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I ran thru that gun before it was stolen in aug of 03. Some day I will replace it, but this time I want to have the convertible model with the 45acp cylinder and have the barrel cut back to 3 1/2".
  19. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    I've got a 17-2 in blued. Nicest .22 pistol I've ever shot - great fun at the range and it's a classic looker.

Got mine from my Dad, have no idea how long he's had it except that I remember shooting it as a boy, so it's been at least 40 years I suppose. Still in perfect working condition.
  20. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I love my Bisley:
    [​IMG]