Middle Bore DS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Rusty Shovel, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want an FI bike with a little more power than a WR250R.

Today my dealer called and offered to convert a 2013 WR450F (with a Baja Designs kit) and sell it with a Texas STREET title. It would cost $9800.

That puts it up there with the 690 Enduro and the 500 EXC.

Should I settle for the $6600 250? Or drop the hammer on a middle bore bad boy?

The dealer said the WR250F, if ridden as a dual sport, would have the same service intervals as the WR250R; is he smoking crack?

Would the street legal WR450F be more reliable/long-lived than the KTM's?

I don't plan to ride for more than an hour at a time on the interstate. Interstate isn't my priority, but in Texas, it's unavoidable. I also spend a lot of time in Maine during the summer--so there will be logging roads, two-track, and single track. I don't have any multi-day trips planned, but I'd like the capability.

I weigh 230#'s.

Thanks for any insight you can provide...this one's been driving me nuts!:scratch
  2. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the bikes you mentioned are great bikes, but each has its own advantage/disadvantage.

WR450 FI would be better for hardcore single track, but will wear you out after an hour on the interstate, and is only a 5 speed.

KTM 690 ER will do OK in single track, and will do good on the interstate.

WR250 will do both single track and Interstate OK, but only makes half the power of the WR450 and less than half of the power of a KTM690.

My only concern with the new FI WR450's is fuel capacity. You can re-gear the bike for better cruising speeds.

You biggest factor will come down to what tires you select.

Have you looked into the Husky TE511?
  3. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Umm...where are you finding 690 Enduros for $9800 is my question...? I'd have happily saved the money if I could have found one...LOL

Be careful with "road legal dirt bikes". One change to your legislation and you suddenly have a bike you can't ride on the highway and can't sell... ;)
  4. Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OP Here.

Sportsguy, You're right--the 690 is closer to 11K, but once you're up to 9.8k, what's the difference? Uhm, please don't respond with math. I hear what you're saying about road legal dirt bikes.

ZX, thanks for your suggestions. I looked at the Husqvarna. The problem I'm having is that I really don't want THAT much more than a WR250R. I'd just like some more grunt on bottom and a little more leeway at freeway speeds.

I've already owned a DR 650 and I never want to ride a bike that heavy again.

If I want a little more than the WRR, I'm forced into another class altogether--in price, performance, and maintenance schedules.

It's frustrating, but I'll probably pull the trigger on the WR250R this Saturday. I hate feeling like I'm settling for something less than I want. I just don't see a good middle option.

C'mon Yamaha! :ddog
  5. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    As far as new plated bikes go (with EFI), your choices are either a WR250R, a KTM 500 EXC, or Husqvarna TE310/449/511.

Personally, I would pick a KTM 500 over a converted WR450F all day long...actually I'd pick my flavor of Husky over the converted Yami too:deal
  6. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey buy my 798cc F800GS. its ready to go and you can have it for 9800.00 with a ton of stuff already on it.
    I'll buy your plane ticket to here so you can ride it home.
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I don't get going with the BD kit and a converted title when the EXC rolls off the showroom floor street legal in all 50 states. About all that 500 needs is a decent seat (what enduro doesn't?) to be a perfectly acceptable dual sport.
  8. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That and the EXC already has a hydraulic clutch, an ECU you don't immediately have to replace, and comes with a useable wide spread trans. I'd be looking between the WRR or the EXC. The WR450F, while neat, just isn't quite all there; especially for the price of a KTM.
  9. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find a nice used RFS (KTM) that's already tagged. Plenty out there for $5k or less. A 400 EXC would be just the ticket.
  10. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    That, too. Then you can afford two of them. :lol3
  11. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Sounds like he's hitting the glass pipe to me. Or something similar.
  12. Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aargg! I'm back to the 500EXC! I love that bike, but I'm concerned about its longevity. Even the guy at the shop said he would never use it for interstate travel. He said it would wear out the engine and I would be replacing the pistons within a 100 hours.

Dang! The EXC seems perfect otherwise.
  13. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
  14. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    for $7000 you can buy a drz400s, or a husky tr650, or a dr650, ect

$9800 is a bit much
  15. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I call bullshit on that, the interstate is nothing compared to bouncing off the rev limiter shock loading the whole drivetrain between wheel skips while sucking in dust. Which is what these bikes, and the quoted 100 hour top end, were designed for.
  16. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rusty Shovel said he wants fuel injection and something that weighs less than a DR650, which he has previously owned. That axes all your suggestions.
  17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:

If you're going to spend $9800 buy a 690 Enduro, don't be afraid to call around to a dealers all over the country. Somewhere one of them has a 690 and wants to move it off the showroom floor. People have gotten new 690's for as low as $9,300 OTD but 9,500-9,700 is much more common.

The 500EXC is a race bike and any race bike will require bigger and more frequent maintenance (a piston every 100-200 hours is not uncommon). Top-ends will wear out sooner then those on a dual sport.

I'd say get a 690 Enduro based on your usage, but I'm biased. It makes power (62hp, or 66 for 2012+), and most importantly is light (317 lbs with fuel). 10,000 km/6,200ish mile service intervals.

If you want something cheaper, but heavier, less powerful, and less suspension I'd look at a Husky 650 Terra ($7,000)

Not many dirt bikes/dual sports that can do dirt easily are fuel injected though. I'd still go for the 690 if you have the money. Consider a used bike.
  18. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been searching for a replacement for my WR250X, which I foolishly sold last year. Like you, I wished for a tad more grunt.

After looking high and low for another WR and coming up short (I was hoping for one with power mods already in place), I pulled the trigger on a BMW Xmoto. I'm only into it a few trips, but I'm thrilled with the extra oomph. The extra weight doesn't seem to bother, of course I'm not doing single track on it.

All that to say, you might consider a used xchallenge. They're so cheap right now, and seem easier to find than the WR250s.

Good luck dude.
  19. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my research what's wrong with a husky te449/511/310? There a little more $$$ then a tr650 but lighter and better off road. Correct me if I am wrong but I am to pull the trigger on a husky also and I weight about the same has the OP which is 230lbs. Will a wr250r be enough power for our large bodied...bodies
  20. gasgasman

gasgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THE 250R WILL DO YOU JUST FINE AND FOR POWER UPGRADES
    1. POWER COMMANDER V WITH AUTOTUNE WILL PROBABLY GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST POWER BOOST.
    THEN ADD BIGBORE OR STROKER KIT
    I HAVE BIGBORE / STROKER KIT =306cc
    STARTED WITH FMF PROGRAMMER UPGRADED TO PC V AND THE INCREASE IN POWER/RIDE ABILTY WAS AGAIN THAT OF THE BB/STROKER
    AND IS SMOOTH AT70MPH WITH 60 + mpg.
    my 2 cents
    gasgasman