Atlas Throttle lock

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Dirty3, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    I saw this post over on Thumpers.
    Looks like an interesting device designed as a cruise control.
    Better than anything i've seen before.

http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

But the clincher is its a Kickstarter funded project out of USA.
    I contacted the guys who is trying to get this up and going as they are only US$69 for the kickstarter deal. Problem is he's charging US$45 to ship. Its only the thickness of 2 credit cards FFS and probably smaller all up, but he said he is limited to the Kickstarter options for postage. Sounds like a lot of BS to me, but he got back to me and said if anyone else is interested, I can order 3 units and still only pay US$45 for the lot, which reduces the overall cost.

Anyway, check it out and if anyone is interested i'm keen to do a group buy, but the only other deal is that the device wont be available till May-June!!

They will retail at US$135 once production starts. PM me if interested in a small group buy.

Cheers,
    Neil.
  2. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I am in on this.
  3. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Just had a look at the link you posted. The design is very similar to the original Vista cruise control which has been around for donkey's years (I still have the one I bought 30 years ago) and is still available today for less than half the price of the kickstarter intro deal. See http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/cruise-control-yamaha-models-single-or-dual-cable-with-78-inch-bars/part/VC-07-4044?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=70310&kpid=70310&gclid=CPPDuOuSo8ECFQ0GvAodqAgAlQ for example.

The difference with this unit is that it claims to be universal, whereas the Vista is ostensibly bike manufacturer specific, however, I have been easily able to adapt the Vista to fit on over half a dozen different bikes over the years.
  4. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Group buy's belong in vendors.
  5. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Cheers Russ,

Sorry, I'm not a vendor and was not aware of how to address this. Thanks for the heads up.
    Neil.
  6. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the link.
    I think i'm still going to give this a go. They are going to be manufactured from Stainless Steel apparently, so sturdy enough.

I have 3 interested parties that have contacted me via PM
    XRMan
    Glitch_oz
    Gunnabuild1

I'll send you all back a message once i have contacted the guys that has designed them. If all a goer I can then arrange the purchase and will sort payment after that. Postage I will cover once we get confirmation, but with Kickstarter you have to wait (in this case till May 2015), so money up front! I believe the money is secure until closer to shipping time.

Will let you know the outcome.

Neil.
  7. kenny83

kenny83 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in joining this group buy if its not too late :).

PM Sent.
  8. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    After receiving a very confusing email from the developer of this device regarding shipping etc, I am still confused.

The lock has now gone up to $79 ea minimum which is fine but he still doesn't make to easy to purchase these things since its a Kickstarter funding project. No guarantee if it does get to fruition. Anyhow, I thought the easy way was i could purchase 5 of these & pledge $450 as per the Kickstarter options, but this ends up being $90 each unit.

I'll try the guys again to see if he can do this outside of Kickstarter. My only problem with all this is that if it doesn't get off the ground you lose your $.

Will get back to you all that have PM'd me with your interest.

Cheers,
    Neil.
  9. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Ok, last update.

So I went ahead and tried to purchase 5 of these units as the guy that is starting this fundraiser asked me to do. It did not allow me to order 5 units individually & to set one shipping address, so the system is a little flawed i'd say.

Unfortunately he reckons he cant do anything to fix it as its all set up by Kickstarter.

Sorry to let those down that were interested, i've given up. I tried to do a deal on the side but he couldn't accommodate. Maybe once his funding campaign is over i'll contact him again to see how the project is going and if he'd be interested once the business is up and running on a group deal.
    Those that contacted me about this i will send a PM.

Sorry to disappoint.

Cheers,

Neil.
  10. Mud$hooter

Mud$hooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread while doing some SEO tasks for the website, anyways, I wanted to address these issues with the Kickstarter shipping option and get you guys in with a "Kickstarter" rate of $79 each for 5 units total, but only through Dirty3. That would be a total of $395 plus shipping, which should be around $25. I'll double check on the shipping and confirm with you, but that would give you a grand total of $420 USD for 5 units.

You can place your order before we manufacture the ATLAS or after, it's up to you guys. Sorry that the emails were confusing, I had a lot on my plate at the time. PM me and we can set something up.

Here's why we had a $45 int'l shipping rate.

The Problem: Kickstarter only gave me one price option for international shipping. Even though it's cheaper to ship to Canada than to Sri Lanka, I was forced to choose one price. So I chose a price which wouldn't put me, the campaign or our production at risk.

Kickstarter is weird. They applied all the int'l shipping charges towards my total campaign goal. This is not good for anyone. As a campaign creator, you can't plan on how many int'l sales you will make. If I received 100 int'l orders, I would have received $4,500 towards my campaign, effectively "Funding" my campaign prematurely with shipping charges. This is where campaign creators can get in the red even with a 100% funded campaign.

I wrote a huge letter to Kickstarter's support team explaining this problem, and they listened. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Kickstarter has now updated their shipping system for individual int'l rates.
    Dirty3 likes this.
  11. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Edit: Now Sold

Bought one of these Atlas TL's but it does not fit my R80G/S and I have shorty Brake lever on R1200GSA which interferes with ATL.
    If any one in Aus want's to buy it, its as it comes in the box. $100 incl postage within Aus, send me a PM if your want it. Nice bit of kit, just doesn't fit my setup.