Just another FINAL DRIVE nightmare....with a twist

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Englishmatt, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ok, fair enough. Let's stipulate that it was not a service-related problem.

What about some kind of event that both bikes experienced together? Not sure what that might be. Water crossing early in the trip? Don't these drives have a vent that might let water in? I'm just guessing here. :dunno

Oddly enough, on a trip some years ago when I was still touring on a GSXR1100, both I and one of the other guys on the trip suffered failed ignition switches. It was bizarre.
  2. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that one certainly looks better. Dave

Not really, but you've pictured the 660 not the 1200 that is coming out now. Here's another model for comparison:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  3. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    first stop posting crap like this.

final drive 'issues'. It's a goddamn wheel bearing, they wear out. You wouldn't say your KTM had wheel bearing 'issues' because you replaced worn wheel bearings after a significant number of miles, would you? Seals need replaced, bearings wear. Don't cloud the waters with that hogshyte when a failure means a failure. Too many times we've heard of FD 'failures' which consisted of rear wheel play or a leaky seal.

As for you lot, both your bikes had far too few miles to expect a failure, to be sure.

tell us more about your failures? How did you know and what did they look like once taken apart?
  4. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    My question is why did two (out of the seven) of your bike group not fail? I don't know of any around here FDs that have not had a failure.

Remember it is only 1 in 25 that fails (the 4 percent rule) - or was it one in 25 that doesn't?
  5. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am assuming that by "FD failure" we are speaking of FD wheel bearing failure. It helps if the FD failure is better described. I agree with Bobby that too many "FD failure posts" are lacking sufficient background to be meaningful. Drives which have been contaminated with water or used in very dusty conditions w/o the benefit of extra oil changes are rider failure, not FD failure. If your FD bearing failed at >50k , then that is maintenance, not failure or poor design.

Also, not all trail dust is the same. In certain areas the geology is such that the dust is extremely abrasive. Fin grit enters FD though the vent. Operation on such trails might call for changing out the FD oil as soon as you leave the trail. Simple, easy preventive maintenance following severe duty use. Degradation of the balls and race can be caught early before the cage disintegrates and damages the drive.

Anecdotal: In 11xx I have seen very early wheel bearing and gear box bearing failure shortly after Mobile 1 75w90 syn GL 5 was installed. (I have complete confidence in Mo 1 engine oils). Others have reported similar experience with this product. Other anecdotal: Similar ball bearing failure does not seem to occur where other brands of full syn GL5 were used. OP, can you tell us what brand of gear oil oil was installed just prior to departure?

Yes, improper assembly (shimming) at the factory was a known issue with certain 11xx FD's. So lets treat that separately.

I now believe, but have no scientific data, that certain syn GL 5 brands may be the cause of at least some of these FD big ball bearing failures as well as M97 , M94 gear box bearing failures.

If this is true, that 1200 FD is "not rebuild able" (serviceable) then I also could not justify 1200 purchase because I expect my mc to last decades

What oil was used? How much load do you carry? Stream crossings? Very dusty conditions?
  6. Meeni

Meeni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pictures of failed FD very often show a red goop vomited from the failed seals - what I assumed to be Redline ShockProof, but it now came to my knowledge that other synth brands are blood red.
  7. TruSound

TruSound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an upclose look at this new 1200 Tenere the other night...wish I would have taken a pic of the mini final drive...we'll see if size matters, it was quite a bit smaller than a GS FD...
    The pic doesn't really do it justice...pretty nice bike, I'll be keeping my GS...at least till the FD explodes...JUST KIDDING PEOPLE.
    [​IMG]
  8. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    comes to something when the FD has to have the oil changed just as frequently as the engine oil!!! :huh
  9. Schlug

Oddometer:
    For the additional weight of that hog you could carry a spare final drive for your GS. Just sayin'
  10. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had our first one show up at the dealership I work at this week. sadly it never left the delivery truck. shippers stacked something on top of it which came through the top of the crate smashing the gas tank and other parts. As the gastank is not available yet with no ETA on delivery to yamaha's warehouses, we refused delivery and had it sent back.
    This years Tenere's had to be special ordered to get one... ie not available to the dealerships for floorplan. If a dealer wanted one for the showroom floor they had to buy it outright from Yamaha.
    Right now I am feeling sorry for the guy who this one was allocated for. He made a $500 deposit on it back in December and now has to wait for Yamaha to get us another one...

And Damnit, I was hoping to talk the techs into letting me do it's predelivery road test :D
  11. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I think they are built a little heavier so you can tow your riding buddy's disabled GS/GSA when his final drive shoots craps?
  12. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very strange indeed.

Maybe the aurora borealis played some part in the failure?
  13. webwalker

webwalker Monitor monitor

Oddometer:
    BMW's gear lube is also red.
  14. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Can you put Japanese bearings in the German Motorcycle?
  15. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    1200 final drives are rebuildable but it does take some special tools.
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Damn,another final drive thread,it amazes me people keep buying these over priced behemoths. I guess the usual dumping of the bike before the warranty runs out is a really good idea. Ive had one new BMW and was quickly cured of ever having another. Kool-Aid went sour quickly.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Kinda curious,5 3000.00+ final drives and the last one you had to buy...............

So you buy another GS? All the bikes on the market and you have to have the one most likely to leave you walking along the road? Once a beemerophile always a beemerophile I guess.
  18. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    How's that Trump running, footdragger? lol

For my money (and remember, it is my money) I'd pay for a couple of FD's if I had to. The bike is just that good. I don't think you'd want to hear my comments on how you've chosen to spend your money. ;)
  19. Schlug

Oddometer:
    Bog off down the thumpers forum, toad.

why haunt a forum about a bike you cannot stand?
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I took my R1150GS head bearing out, it is a KOYO bearing, plainly marked. I got one from Midpoint Bearing, just about half price.

The new BMW single cylinder has a CHINESE engine, yes CHINA! Not a Rotax, not a BMW, C H I N A !