So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. purdsam

purdsam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of those are good suggestions for farkles. I would add that the Wunderlich windscreen aluminium bracket is under-engineered and will crack. I even tried taking it to an aluminum welder for re-enforcing welds on the bends, but a crack still found an un-welded bend.

I use the OEM X-Country tank bag. It's a bit pricey, but can carry a ton of stuff with it's expandable top zipper.

[​IMG]
  2. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    +1

I have a replacement bracket that I refuse to use until I have it reinforced six ways before Sunday.
  3. jezuar

jezuar NO NI NA

Oddometer:
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    X - C - O, X - C - O, X - C - O, XCo all the way !
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Consider yourself lucky... I asked TT about an "upgrade path" and got this response:

Subject:<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="user_text_special" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="user_text_special" align="left" width="100%">Touratech-USA - G650X Low profile drain plug (PN: 049-0360)</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Hello Matt,
    I just double checked and the drain plugs have not changed and currently do not have a magnet currently incorporated into the design. I have not heard of any plans to change the design. I hope this has answered your question, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,
    <name deleted> | Sales and Technical SupportTouratech-USA / CycoActive, Inc.
    P (206) 323-2349 ext. 230
  7. snooker

Oddometer:
    I'm tellin' ya right now that even though nobody else has used it, my Sporttech windscreen is damn durable and is made of thick SAFE polycarbonate and not cheapass acrylic (like Cee Bailey and I think the WonderLicker one). Many miles of 4x4 trails, Baja etc and not a single issue. AND it is a quick release mount (just pull straight forward to remove it) for serious offroad if desired. Also adjust the angle any way you like.

Oops... Well I just checked but it is not available anymore so never mind. But I already have this written up so sorry for the noise...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    Well I just hope your ridin' SOMETHING!

... BTW, Nice cheer Leaf Boy... :lol3

X

C

X-C-O

It's the bike that Go GO GOES!

(sorry about that) :eek1 I'll shut up now...

p.s. I have a brand new Yacugar shock (with remote reservoir and progressive spring) sitting on my pool table waiting for me to try out... long story but let's say I'm Beta testing for Ted... :clap
  9. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    Matt-

Have you read any of the Sibirsky Extreme 2012 ride report? Lots of photos of the Magadan Bags on two X-Country bikes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

It may be a while for our photos. I have to fabricate a rack first.

And......sorry to see that the windscreen you advocate is no longer available. Still questing for what to install. Like the idea of using the proper material.

Mark

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987
  10. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    YH-

Interesting looking fairing. In checking it appears that the Hella Rally lights are not street legal here. I'd really want to see a unit in action to try to determine if we could get away with using those lights here.

Anyone is So Cal with this fairing/lights in use?

Mark
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geoff - The bracket is probably made from the wrong type of aluminum. Send it to me (or ride to Las Vegas and drop it off) and I can ID what it is. We can figure out what to make it out of and get you back in business.

I've been running the Lynx for a couple of years. It looks good and the lights are awesome, but the fiberglass is pretty flimsy, lots of gelcoat/filler, and the ABS plastic dash falls apart after a few thousand miles. I redid the dash with 5052 aluminum diamond plate, but I also have access to a big shear and a milling machine.

[​IMG]
    Chicks like big weiners and motorcycles. I have both.

[​IMG]

The inside of the Lynx now has A LOT more West 105 fiberglass inside it, along with some reinforcement ribs and a shade over the HID lights, as light pours out everywhere around the dash.
  12. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Past Georgia Mountain Rally pictures-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    TBarstow-

From the photos it does not look like you have the extendable windscreen fitted. The BC website shows a windscreen that can be raised and lowered for on/off road use. Did yours have that? Did it work? Was it stable? If the basic fairing was flimsy, I'd suspect that the raised windscreen may not be too solid.

And thanks for posting the photo of the fairing on your bike. It is actually somewhat smaller than I thought it would be, especially considering the price tag.

And, while I am on a roll, any issues with the local constabulary hassling you regarding the Hella lights?

Mark
  14. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The windscreen is a POS. I caught 1 rock with it and it shattered. I contacted Lynx about using the wrong material and it turning into a product liability. They allegedly have changed over to a better windscreen material.

I find that I don't really catch excessive wind with my helmet using the fairing while at highway speeds, plus it is quieter and less turbulence slapping the lid while riding as well.

Never had any issues with the police and my headlights.
  15. snooker

Oddometer:
    gee I dunno which is sexier, Tim's wiener <costume>[costume] or Leafy's knee.. :rofl

I didn't know there was a new Sibirsky thread from Colebatch. I never took time to read much of the first one but it is very good reading!
    </costume>
  16. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! It's a big world!

Oddometer:
    Wow, that has not been my experience at all. I've had mine on for just over one year, but put 6,000 miles on it, about half on dirt including Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. It's all plenty tough and holding up great. I keep mine garaged, maybe UV is degrading yours.

There's a very slight light leak at the left edge but not at all distracting -- the dash area is very dark save for instrument lights. I have the HID's, passed plenty of state patrol and local police with no concern.

The windscreens are interchangeable between models for other bikes so I upgraded to the larger Mirage 2 screen -- still three inches short (according to aweseom CalSci dot com site) so I'm having Leif Gustafsson at BikeScreen dot com make me a custom one.
  17. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Heads up, if anyone was thinking about a Rekluse auto clutch for their X-Bike, they are being discontinued. Just went to order one for a customer and they are no longer listed on the company website, but there are a few available. Actually all the ones we ordered this week are being discontinued, Husqvarna, and KLR650. The KLR is surprising.
  18. Pescador

Pescador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New shoe in back!
    Had to take it out and get it dirty!
    I like it, not a 606 but did very well. Not noisy like the Dunlop, also does not hook up off road like the Dunlop.
    But a very good compromise tire.
    Heidenau k60

[​IMG]
  19. TangoMcBlasty

TangoMcBlasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look like Leafman has both the HB centerstand and the OEM crash bars installed. I've thought about doing this myself but I didn't know if they would fit together. Does anyone know if you have to make any mods or get longer footpeg bolts? I tried PM'img Leafman but no joy.

20. The Spanish Biker

The Spanish Biker The Essential Companion to Biking in Spain

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Still working on my list of mods - partly because I'm still adding 'em :)

Meanwhile a few piccies of the beasty trawling back and forth over the last few years on my blog, no particular order I'm afraid*:

[​IMG]

Travelin' light in the Pyrenees

[​IMG]

Las Bardenas, Spain. Wolfman pannier bags, Dry bag from Overboard.co.uk, tank bags from Kriega - thirst by arrangement . . .

[​IMG]
    . . . more arrangement, the Dynamite crew were at lunch - I checked!

[​IMG]

Ready to roll for a month's trip - toooo heavy!

[​IMG]

I tend to base myself at a camping for a few days and explore 'lite'

[​IMG]

Meanwhile: Asturias with the Picos de Europa at about 50 miles in the distance - as the crow flies I might add - the actual Picos are the grey blurry bit in the far background!

[​IMG]

. . . and up close, see what I mean? Welcome to Sunny Spain :)

[​IMG]

Possibly the most beautiful place on Earth . . .

[​IMG]

. . . certainly the camping!

[​IMG]

Cabo de Touriñan, the End of the World as far as mainland Spain is concerned - Finnesterre is a few minutes further east despite what the Romans thought. Over to you guys to pick up the baton of civilisation from here on :rofl

[​IMG]

Well, the only way is back east - not Back East of course :) - at least it makes the navigation easier at least!

[​IMG]

The trail into Portugal - with a reflective view of Spain!

[​IMG]

Excess baggage?

[​IMG]

Sunrise over Cap de Creus, the easternmost point of Spain - the moody dawn shot was nothing to do with Excess Baggage :)

[​IMG]

Early days in the Pyrenees; stock tyres and not much luggage space - my how things have changed!

[​IMG]

Very first week with the X-Country: crossing the Pyrenees by one of about half a dozen totally wild trails at over 2,000 metres in late October. Daytime temp about 5ºC** night time usually fifteen or twenty degrees less - if anything had gone wrong . . . totally naive :)

Hope you enjoy

Regs

Simon
    * Oh so English :)
    ** Sorry, no idea what that is in ºF !

PS that I've just remembered, What is it about girls and Motorcycles . . .

[​IMG]

2012 minus 20?

[​IMG]