Gaerne Balance Oiled and Balance Pro Tech Boots Review

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Mar 19, 2011.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thought is that they are leaking around the stitching. It made me wonder about the configuration of the "waterproof membrane", since it is possible to replace the soles.

From what I understand Sno Seal is a bees wax product (I initially thought it was something else).

I'm drying my boots out best as I can right now. I picked up both Sno Seal and a silicone product on the way home tonight. Leaving for a 1500 mile trip tomorrow morning. It's been dumping rain for a few days now.

I'm planning on slathering up the stitching and the seam area.
  2. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I sealed the seam all the way around on both boots yesterday and they still leaked today in HEAVY...HEAVY rain.I will just wear my rubber boots for heavy rain and these for dry/ light rain.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  3. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    Sno-seal works well. Don't forget the heat gun. Be careful with the heat.

I switched to Redwing Boot oil since I use it on my work boots and have been getting very good results. They key is to get them really, really clean first. I do this using a large nylon scrub brush and saddle soap. Next, dry them over night on a boot dryer. After this just rub in the boot oil...lots and lots of boot oil. I can go through half a bottle pretty easily. If the boots keep soaking it up, keep oiling.

My feet have gotten wet in these boots before but it happens because I get lax about the maintenance. You just have to remember to oil 'em.
  4. pinevalley

pinevalley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear Gaerne Master(s),

I'm in the need of a new pair of boots. I just picked up a FJR and think that maybe the Sidi Crossfires I have are a little too much for the 'old man bike'. Up until now I have been using a pair of full grain leather hiking boots (old school).

I'm drawn to the Balance Pro-Tech boots due to the non-gore leather construction and the higher cut boot.

For hiking I prefer a very breathable shoe to a waterproof Gore type shoe. The Gore will decrease the time it takes for my feet to get wet in the rain (they will eventually get wet), but keeps the moisture in during the non-rain days and warm days. Non-gore shoes will dry faster when they eventually get wet as well. Hence, my non-gore preference. However, I'm riding a bike and not hiking. Living in Seattle am I stupid to not grab the Gore?

I like the higher cut boot as the Klim pants seem to not not tighten down enough around the ankle and are drafty in those cool mornings with short boots.

For sizing: I tried on a pair of G-Adventure size 11 - fit pretty well. Do they fit the same as the balance boots? Most of my shoes are closer to 45 on sizing. The sidi Crossfires are 44, maybe a tad snug.

Based on my thoughts am I on the right track? Gore, no Gore? Anything else I should consider? Size suggestions?

Thanks for your ADVrider post - very helpful.

Pinevalley
  5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Pinevalley, thanks for your message.

I agree with your thoughts on waterproof construction. It is a benefit, but it is more common to deal with hot weather than rainy weather.

On fit....the Pro-Techs fit slightly larger than the G-Adventures. It has been a year or more since we directly compared, but notes say about a half size.Looking form the opposite perspective, I know with certainty G-Adventures run small. Are your Crossfires TAs or SRS?

Size 10s are a 44.5, 11s are a 46. I think it is best to survey more shoes, for the EU size, but I lean slightly toward a 10/44.5 based on your comments.
  6. pinevalley

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.

I have the Sidi TA's.

Of the shoes I have: 3x 44.5's and 4x 45's

pinevalley

7. pinevalley

Oddometer:
    Order placed...thanks for the advice.

pinevalley

8. wfo600

wfo600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP - You said about 3 or 4 pages into this post (and 3 years ago) that the Balanced Oiled were such a top quality product that you were afraid they'd eventually have to change the quality of materials used. (I'm sorry if this is a misquote or incorrect, it's how I understood your meaning)... The questions is, are they balance oiled's still being built with the high quality leather and materials as they were when you posted originally? I'm prone to purchasing quality over all else, and do there boots still fit that mold, or are there others I should consider? My riding consists of typical "adventure style" dual sport riding. (No moto, no jumping) As protective a boot as possible, while still being comfortable for a fairly significant amount of on road time. Thanks for the reply!
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    You did understand my meaning. The answer to the first part is straightforward: despite the tendency of brands to dumb things down, these are unchanged - and still excellent.

The second part of your question requires more detail. They are great boots, probably the best made, and almost certainly the most comfortable. But they are not the most protective, both because of their simplicity and also because other models in the category have raised that bar. Having awareness of this is critical for striking the correct Balance (ha ha) between your target for protection : comfort.

Our opinion, in very terms, is that the Alpinestars Toucan is the most protective boot in the category, yet still quite comfortable, the Forma Adventure is the best split between comfort and protection in the category (sort of a midpoint), and that the Gaerne Balance Oiled is the best made / most comfortable / longest lasting. Several other models in the category are also great for varying reasons or specific needs, and some are overrated. Some may disagree with our opinion, which is fine; the important thing is that we have one.

Hope that helps!

BP
  10. wfo600

wfo600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight, commendable to hear Gaerne hasn't lowered their standards. I can appreciate that in a company. Like I said, I tend to value quality above all else. (I still wear a Hein Gericke Dakar 3/4 jacket I've had for 20 years for 90% of my riding) I'll try all three on, but my order will go to you. Thanks again.
  11. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I have about 11,000 year round SEATTLE miles on my oiled's and still love them. !!.
    They have started to leak but I put these boots thru hell. !!.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  12. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Thanks. They seem to be continuing in the right direction, having just secured a Gore-Tex license. This is a pic of the upcoming "G-All Terrain GTX", a Gore-Tex version of the Balance:

[​IMG]

http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo/3/89/180/2530-013/brown/

It will not make it to the US for some time, probably around next May / June.

BP
  13. Random-Water

Random-Water Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nag em for a shifter pad/extra leather!
  14. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I LIKE, but I can't imagine I'll ever be able to justify buying a pair. My Oiled are holding up so well that I would have a hard time explaining a second pair... unless... one could be dedicated to my actual trials bike... hmmmmm...

As to shifter pad, no thanks. I haven't seen any worn out by the shifter, and I do actually ride a trials bike and I need the feel to hit the shifter. (Unlike a normal bike, the shifter on a trials bike is far enough forward that you can't touch it without actually taking your foot off the peg.)
  15. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I've probably got somewhere north of 30,000 miles on mine, and other than the velcro tearing up the inside of the boot near the top, they're bombproof. They've stayed completely waterproof, and they're still ridiculously comfortable.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
  16. NortwestRider

Oddometer:

Mine just started leaking a few weeks ago around the stitching on the sole .

17. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. You and I commute in the same conditions. Mine are leaking mostly left foot in the toe box but eventually in both feet.

Last night I sno sealed the **** out of them in the stitching area around the front and today I was dry. It seems like something I'm going to have to keep doing.
  18. NortwestRider

Oddometer:

I did the same thing and they still leaked.

19. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not good. Anyway to get these things repaired? I'd like to be able to trust them. I like everything about them except for the wet toes.
  20. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong,I LOVE these boots and would buy another pair tomorrow.
    I REsnow sealed them today and I'm getting ready to head out into a huge storm to go to a presentation at a local BMW dealer.