R60/5 - Which Rear Shocks Fit?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TypeRated, Mar 9, 2014.

1. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my new R60/5 is having rear shock issue. The left shock compresses and stays compressed. It might as well be a hardtail right now. I'd like to know what fits, works well and is cheap, as I already blew most of my cash on the bike itself. It doesn't have to be correct, just function properly. Oh, on a side note, the speedo needle decided to break today too :pissed
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Ready for sticker shock?

33 99 0 000 001 IKON shock pair 7610 - 1298 1970-1984 $ 375.00
    there is no 10% discount on shocks

[​IMG]

http://bmwhucky.com/007533.html

My name is Bill and I am a packrat. Replaced my worn, 40 year old shocks 3-4 years ago and packratted away the old ones. They still work, don't leak but are tired. They could use a home. PM me. :deal

Stuff happens on a 40 year old vehicle. ADV Inmate Wirespokes does a primo job on BMW speedo repair, or so I'm told. Bill is also a procrastinator, and needs to send his in for preventative TLC.

:)

--Bill
  3. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have several airheads, 2 lwb and 1 swb. The konis/ikons are fine on the lwb bikes. Not superb, but work well enough. They gave a slightly choppy ride on the swb. Yes, the forks are aligned. I noticed a huge difference when I installed yss shocks from Ted porter's bmw shop. They were about $125 more than ikons. The ride and handling is the best I have experienced on that bike since I bought it in 1976. Be sure you setup the correct length and damping how you want it, but that is easy.
  4. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    If'n you're playing the bucks close to the chest, look on ebay for take-off shocks of roughly the same length from a bike of roughly the same weight. Double-eye shocks... Easy to find... fifty bucks should get you something quite useable.

:evil