moto-mule a cargo trailer to pull behind your dual sport motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by MrBracket, Nov 16, 2011.

1. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    For me, yes. For a bored cop looking for a good excuse to pull someone over, probably not :deal

Good point. And yes, you could always build a Bracket.... MrBracket
  2. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, you'd think a guy named MrBracket could make a bracket......

Well, as a matter of fact I can!!! :D

[​IMG]
    It's a bracket that mounts under the fender to the subframe in the same holes the original license plate holder mounts. The boys over at ProCycle came thru for me again, they hooked me up with a slick little LED tail light that also has a license plate light built into it. I just made a modified version of the ProCycle license plate mount that bent up instead of down and added the light mount.

Here is the ProCycle mounting bracket, which raises the plate a few inches over stock.
    [​IMG]

Here is the same view with the one I made today.
    [​IMG]

Again the ProCycle one:
    [​IMG]

And, the new one I made today. The LED is SUPER BRIGHT! The tail light alone is a huge improvment!
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the new plate/tail light mount doesn't sit any higher than even the low profile DR250 tail light yet it raises the license plate another few inches over the ProCycle version. Personally I like the look of the ProCycle kit but if you need the extra height, this should work pretty well. I will make a cap off plate for the hole in the rear fender that has a gromet in it for the wiring to pass through. I will also put a trailer light plug in the wiring harness so it's plug and play for adding trailer lights.
  3. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Wow...that was friggin' fast!

So, i'm a bit confused. Is the light you're using with it a tail light AND tag light, or just a tag light? It appears to be both, but just want to clarify.

Integrating a plug to add trailer lights is an awesome idea.

Great job!
  4. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    The LED light does both. It has RED LED's for Tail and Brake, and it has white LED's that point down and light up the license plate.

In the picture, the old tail light is still in place. I will make a cover plate that covers the hole in the fender after you remove the stock tail light. The cover plate will have a gromet in it to route the wires through to the original wiring. On the bike pictured, his rack does not come back as far as yours or many of the ones I've seen, so I kept the whole assembly low enough to fit below a rack that extends back further.

Yes, the trailer plug will make it much easier to add lights to your trailer.
  5. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:

in
  6. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Love your new Avatar Evan!!! :clap
  8. hairsmith

hairsmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been fallowing the single wheel thread's since they have started. Love the idea and where your going with this MrBracket ! I am looking to do some trading around on my bikes and then will be interested in ordering one from you, much easer and better than building the one I have been planning.

Any way, looking over your tail light desine I started thinking (danger danger) what if the whole assembly tail light plate every thing could be removed from the back of the bike and located on the back of the trailer. When you get to the camping spot or just want to ride the bike with out the trailer relocate it back to the bike with a couple of pins.
    I am not a designer just another guy that is sure enjoying what direction this trailer has taken. I want one !
    Just getting a plate and light n the back of the rig might keep the LAW off your back. Here in Texas a motorcycle can have three wheels so putting the bike plate on the back of the trailer should be no problem leagley.

Any way just thoughts had LATE last night.
  9. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I have to say, if you come up with a hitch design for the BMW single cylinder F650GS/Dakar/G650GS bikes, I would have an awfully hard time not purchasing one of these. I wouldn't need it regularly, but for attending rallies and such it would be perfect.
  10. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I will come up with a BMW GS hitch at some point, there sure are a lot of them out there!! I need to get a few accesories dialed in first to make the trailer even more useful.

Moving the light and plate back and forth could be a great idea. If someone wanted that as an option I could help make that work for them.
  11. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I've got the bracket (to raise the license plate and support new LED tail light) and cover plate (for the hole left by missing tail light in the fender) ready to go for the DR650 license plate lift and tuck. The guys at ProCycle are working hard on the wiring harness for both this and a trailer light, I should have pricing ready and be able to ship out kits next week. :clap
  12. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    Dammit your fast! PM when done. Be down right away. John
  13. walkergreenlabel

walkergreenlabel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have found mounting the trailer a little tricky with only 2 hands. I was thinking of some adjustable prop stands. so you can adjust the height of both sides to line the hitch up with the axle of the bike while leaning on the kickstand for those bikes without a center stand.
  14. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Hi John,
    I'm working on a kickstand for the trailer too. If you come up with something slick show it off here, perhaps other users could benefit from what you come up with.

How does the trailer work with your modified axle? Post up some pics, I'd love to see the trailer behind your XR!!!

Mike
  15. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. MrBracket

Oddometer:
  17. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
  18. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, why not some sort of soft bag that fits the ActionPacker? Like a hard saddle bag liner. If you're hoteling it, you simply open the Packer, pull out your liner bag, which could easily be made fairly watertight, and off you go. You'd get an easier way to unpack and better water protection for the contents of the packer. For that matter, have you thought about adding a kit of bungee hooks for the lid of the packer?

I use liners with my R1100/RS when I travel, leave the saddle and top case on the bike and just bring the liner bags into the room with me.

Disregard the above, should have read the entire thread before commenting.
  19. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I love that cruch kickstand, it is genius!!
  20. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Talked to the boys over at ProCycle yesterday, they should have some wiring harnesses for me tomorrow :clap Will have the wiring harness for the DR650 to move the license plate up with a new LED tail light. And I'll have a trailer light with harness!!!! Look for pictures soon!