Can one be both ATGATT and Pirate?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Jan 4, 2012.

1. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what is the collective wisdom. Read

Can a rider be ATGATT one day riding a sport/sport touring bike and the next day dress like a pirate while on a loud pipe cruiser?

If yes, what does that say about the rider and what does it say about those of us who think it's not possible or the rider is somehow a poser.

I saw this posted over on the GS Oilhead forum and it prompted the question over here. Seems like a lot of the guys on Oilhead read the story but have not commented.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753663

A quote from the linked article about Ola Stenegard...one of the Design Chiefs for BMW responsible for the HP2 Sport and S1000RR

What is your favorite journey? I’ve got two, a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kinda thing. Number one is going to the legendary Norrtälje Custom Bike Show with my club, Plebs Choppers. We gather on a Saturday morning, have breakfast, and get the bikes cleaned and polished before hitting the road. It’s usually about 15 to 20 bikes. After a couple of miles of hooligan riding through Stockholm suburbs, we finally head north on a beautiful backroad going from Stockholm to Norrtälje. It’s just such a relaxed ride, hanging out with your buddies on the road. All on home-built bikes—choppers, bobbers, café racers, all open pipes. The sun reflecting off polished aluminum. It’s a pure experience, in Stereophonic Exhaust Sound and Kandyapple Metalflake Kolor.

Number two is doing 3.2 kilometers, lap after lap, at the Gotland Ring racetrack—my home track (below). Chasing that perfect line, preferably on an S1000RR. Perfect bike, perfect track … hitting the straight hard. Braking too late. Somehow you make it. Maxed out lean angle, but you’re still not fast enough. Traction control working hard. Such a trip, constantly over 10,000 rpm, lap after lap. The sound, the smell, the wind. A helluva journey!

Read the whole story here: http://www.bikeexif.com/ola-stenegard#more-13266
  2. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    Hypocritical to an extent.:deal

But there are "pirate costumes" available that do offer a reasonable level of protection that won't set you too far apart from the rugged individual masses.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    It depends. If you wear ATAGAT on both bikes, sure! If you wear ATAGAT on the sport bike, and half helmet or no helmet, T-shirt and jeans on the cruiser, you are wearing nothing but a costume on both, and are clearly all about posing.

Jim :brow
  4. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Hey Betty, is a Jeckyll and Hyde thing.
  5. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    So if one is not consistent it's clearly about posing, not about risk management?

I suspect the guy interviewed in the link above is a probably well respected among his peers in the industry, both as a designer and rider. His life or at least his occupation is centered around motorcycles, yet by your definition he is poser?
  6. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    Yea, that's kinda my point.

Why can't one have diversity in what he rides/wears without being labled a poser, pirate, storm trooper, etc.
  7. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Can't be ATGATT if it isn't all the gear all the time. Which is fine with me, I don't ride because its safe I ride because I love it.

I dress for the ride and how I dress affects how I ride.
  8. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    it is logically impossible.

if ATGATT then ATT
    if sometimes pirate then not(ATT)

ATT and not(ATT) cannot be simultaneously true as per to the law of contradiction.

thus, pirate and ATGATT cannot be simultaneously true.

----------

the definition of ATGATT is that one wears all the gear *all the time*.

if one sometimes does not where all the gear (part of the given premise), then one does not where all the gear *all the time*. thus, one who sometimes does not where all the gear cannot be ATGATT.

he could be ATGSoTT (all the gear some of the time).

:deal:freaky
  9. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

I can think of one label you left out that describes ANYONE on ANY bike that doesn't wear gear...

And lol at "storm trooper".

Yeah, I bet that's the one thing he/she was thinking about when he/she left the house looking like that.

IOW's, that's how someone else considers their "look", not how one considers him/herself.

I am definitely not a ATGATT Nazi, and don't practice what I preach... But man that's such a small percent. I consider even the sweat pants under my jeans better than just jeans..

And tho I'd LOVE to wear my SIdi's every time I ride, it's just not possible or practical. But I don't exactly replace them with sneakers...
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

You missed my point, if he dresses for the crash on a sport bike, but not on a cruiser, then he is delusional, or a poser. He is obviously dressing for fashion based on his bike, matching shoes to belt so to speak.

11. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    +1

Case in point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a guy I see in town on a pirate bike... wears a hi-vis armored jacket, and... no helmet. :muutt
  13. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    So it's that simple. One of the chief designers for BMW, the brand that is probably the most associated with safety, is a poser because he rides like this when not at the track. I wonder if he realizes how dangerous that chain is hanging so loose near the back tire.

[​IMG]
  14. smrchief

smrchief chief

Oddometer:
    Vancouver,WA <-> Anchorage,AK <-> TellicoPlains,TN
    Can one be both ATGATT and Pirate?
    One can do whatever one wants....as long as one is willing to accept all consequences to oneself and those that are impacted by ones actions.:grim
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Let me ask you a question? Were you wanting discussion, or validation?

Yes, it is that simple to me. If he dresses to match the bike, he is posing! That has nothing to do with whether or not he can ride, does ride, rides a little or a lot.

PS Nice creative change of your first post! :rolleyes
  16. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who got into the greaser thing.
    When he had a GS, he rode ATGATT. When he went all greaser, he bought an e-glide and started dressing like Danny Zucco.

Now, he's getting into scooters and dresses appropriately for the fashion meme of the Vespa scooterati with chucks and paperboy hats and whatnot.

Some people like to play dressup with the socially appropriate clothing for their bike.

Just because the guy is an engineer at BMW doesn't mean he's making logical choices all the time. He does look like he's having fun on that pile. :1drink
  17. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does ATG have a standardized definition?

I don't yet own pants with knee and hip armor, but my riding jacket has the CE-approved plates at the shoulders and elbows and back (no kidney belt). I don't wear a neck support nor a spine plate. I wear a FF helmet on the roads and a MX helmet with goggles on trails. I have boots for street and for trails, and I wear them whenever I ride.

I wear what I have, but am I a poser for not having accumulated all my gear yet?

Also, are you a poser if you only wear select pieces of what's available instead of purchasing and wearing every safety item available? I don't have a day-glo vest yet either.

I'm sure that I'm a poser for some reason or other...do I have to count this as a reason for my poserliness too? (lilbitosarcasm)
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

YOU are also missing my point. I am calling him a poser for matching gear to bike, not for what he wears. I couldn't care less if he is wearing gear or not, but to wear full gear on a sport bike, and no gear on a cruiser, is simply wearing gear as a fashion statement, posing.

19. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simmer down...I was addressing the OP.
    Also being sarcastic. :annie
  20. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's an incorrect question, like "have you stopped beating your wife"? One does not rule out, or imply, the other.

ATGATT- you are, or you aren't. Based on the chopper photo, he isn't.

Pirate- I look at this as more a state of mind (Look at me, I ride a Harley) with a dress code (no or non-DOT helmet, vest, HD logos). None of that on this guy.

And nothing about the bikes he rides says "pirate" either. It's an actual chopper, not one of those over-priced gaudy expensive pieces of butt jewerly turned out by "custom" shops in teh US.