The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. LarryGee

LarryGee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A thread devoted to the G 650 GS. Post your pictures here, ask questions about this particular model and if you have any mods you want to tell us about, put it here. Sertao owners are welcome to post here as well. If it's a G, it's for me.I got tired of looking for info on the G and not having a dedicated thread to search. Hope you participate and make this a worthwhile thread. If you posted a G related post somewhere and would like to have it put here instead, let me know. I'll see if the Mods will move it.
    dbyker, zedhead94 and tarheel rider like this.
  2. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot of her cinched up and ready to accompany her sister, the RT, up to North Carolina for a few days in the mountains.

[​IMG]

Another shot

[​IMG]

Kentucky Bridge

[​IMG]

Kentucky

[​IMG]

OK. Now I realize that I don't have many pictures of the GS.

Well, going to be doing some mods soon and I'll post those.

1) Fairing Guard
    2) New tires to replace the Anakee II's. ( Just put Kenda Big Blocks on last week, will show you how they look on this bike.
    3) BarkBusters
    4) Slip On's, IF I can find someone who produces a matching dummy can for the right side.
    5) ??? Suggestions?
    haebyong likes this.
  3. Rogdog

Rogdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Johannesburg RSA (formerly HCMC, Vietnam)
    Thanks for starting the thread... I've had mine (2009 - 1,300 mi on the clock) for only a few months and sadly haven't yet been able to take it for an adventure. I'll post up some pics later.

But, I wanted to add this link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489014 about the stalling problems on the older F version. Ours may have an upgraded designator in its name, but apparently the same CPU and software as before. Mine has proven really prickly about how it is started, and keeping the battery fully charged... otherwise it just won't idle. I've taken to cursing German engineers (not a new habit actually - f$#$% S.A.P. software) and to calling it my cellphone on wheels (it just needs a good re-boot every now and again).

Lovely photos of your bike - I think we have twins.
  4. LarryGee

Oddometer:
  5. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Here's a few pictures of recent mods;

1) Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS. Picked it up at a very reasonable price. I like it because it is waterproof, glove friendly and inexpensive. I don't like it because it is not bluetooth compatible with my Scala, therefore can't HEAR the directional instructions through my headset. Not a big issue on the G but is an issue on the RT on long trips.

2) Roll chart by Moose. Did a few organized rides last year where they use these turn by turn "roll"ed up pieces of paper to follow a pre determined route. I'm always forgetting to reset the odometer so I inevitably wind up making the wrong turns. But, if you like doing the organized runs (and I do as long as I am following someone :evil) then it's a must.

[​IMG]

Then, here's a picture of the Kenda Big Block. The Anakee II's are awesome for the street, hard packed dirt and gravel but sucked in the sand. Given that most Florida trails have a fair amount of sand, these tires made sense.

I've read a few reviews. Most seem to suggest that they are squirly at highway speeds. I didn't find that to be true. Some suggested they are squirly in tight turns. I'd have to say that I didn't test that statement. I slowed way down in tight turns. Others say that the tread life is too short. I guess I'll have to wait and see about that.

I had them out on some pretty gnarly terrain last weekend and I must say I think they handled the environment just fine.

[​IMG]
  6. Rogdog

Rogdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Johannesburg RSA (formerly HCMC, Vietnam)
    As Larry rightly pointed out in a PM to me. The problems with idling are 100% rider created and avoidable (in my experience) and my comments were intended just to point out that if you have that problem there is a very simple solution and that is following the starting procedure EXACTLY as it says in the manual and keeping the battery charged.

Also, I love my 650GS. It is exactly the right bike for me and for where I live. I still curse German Engineers though! :lol3
  7. LarryGee

Oddometer:
  8. ironmark

ironmark ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer:
    So..., i've been looking for one of these bikes off and on for a couple years now, and now that my bank acct. is growing I'm really getting serious. Many, many people have tried to talk me into a KLR, DR :puke1 or some other type of dual sport, but am dteremined to hold out for the GS. I feel like I've looked at every possible site for a reasonably priced 03 or newer GS. Sometimes I think I'd have better luck finding for Sasquatch :eek1.

I'm alsways looking for advice on where to look, anyone?:wink:
  9. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    I added an automatic chain oiler (Pro Oiler) to my 650. [​IMG]
    This custom bracket bolts to the OEM luggage rack. You can see the oil pump and oil lines that lead to the rear sprocket. The twin feed nozzle is mounted to the lower chain guard mount. This system will keep the chain lubricated even in rain or dusty roads, leading to much longer chain life. I use ATF for the lube.
    MoTo-MaX likes this.
  10. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    If you tune into the real active dirt rider forums, the KLR seems to stand out as being the bike of preference. Some consider the G650 to be somewhat of a "girls" bike because of the ergonomics and the anemic exhaust sound. I personally don't care for the looks of the either the klr or the dr but it's just my personal preference.

I would go to craigzoom.com. It's a craigslist consolidator and you can search for cragislist ads all over the country.
  11. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the shizel ! Brilliant !
  12. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if there is any precautions I need to take if I bleed the brakes on my ABS equipped 2009? Is there anything funky I need to worry about with the ABS system that would turn a simple bleed into a financial bloodbath?
  13. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on the Denver Craigslist. Healthy supply usually. I looked the other day and there were a few Dakars even. Fly and ride? Weather has been pretty good out here lately :D

No, I am not selling mine! :D It will probably go up in flames when I miss a corner on some cliff around here with me attached to it :lol3
  14. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find out how many watts are available to power heated gear on our 2011 G650GS. I know the bike produces 400 watts but I can't determines how many are used by the bike itself, other than the heated grips pulling 20-24 watts, when they are used. I'm hoping to avoid running down the battery to a point where it won't start the bike again.
    Thanks.
  15. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Watts? Are you sure you don't mean amps?

Let me go to my manual and see what the specs are.
  16. ironmark

ironmark ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer:
    Thanks LarryGee, I tried the craigzoom, which I never used before. Saw some interesting bikes, most on the west coast:baldy

There's a great one in Seattle, for sale by a fellow ADV. rider, a bit of a drive from Upstate NY:cry $250 plane ticket but iffy this time of year for a fly and ride. And if I did storage, between that, airfare, and travel money back here, it kinda detracts from the good deal it currently is.
  17. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Here's another GPS mount idea. I made an aluminum bracket that bolts to the handlebar via nylon mounts. These are on two different axes so the mount is more secure. [​IMG] This also shows the ProOiler controller.

A side view:[​IMG]

Better view of the mounting[​IMG]
  18. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    check this out, i used the ram mount that came with my 550 zumo on my dakar 650 and bolted it right to the handlebar mount. i had to enlarge the hole just a hair but it went right on. i could use it as the bar mount but used longer bolts and mounted it to the top of the bar mount not knowing how strong the ram mount is for mounting the bar.

Attached Files:

19. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought all the electrical accessories were measured in watts. When I was five, my grandfather told me electricity is invisible and could kill me. I might have taken that to heart a little bit too much......
  20. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    For our purposes the measurement in watts is correct. To your question; I think the basic G650GS draw (ECU, fuel pump, lights) is about 250~275 watts out of the 400 available. Be aware that when the fan kicks in that draw jumps quite a bit. I'm not sure of the number but I can clearly see the change on my volt meter.
    mickeypeng likes this.