best combo

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by azwiz, Nov 22, 2012.

1. azwiz

azwiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me a good combo for offroad sidecar? looking at KLR 650 & maybe DMC 72D. Does anyone make a mount for Honda NC700X, opinions on combos please! Looking for reliability and to keep cost down.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy azwiz,

For off road use, I think the DMC 72D on a KLR 650, is a bit large and heavy, however Jay makes a great little-light Enduro hack that would serve you well in the off road environment. I am sure Jay will be along shortly to offer his advise.

Click this link to see the Enduro hack.

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/enduro/
  3. cathouse willy

cathouse willy just some guy

Oddometer:
    +1 for what Mr cob said.My first rig was a Klr with the Dmc Enduro car. I no sooner got it sorted and along came the Bonneville and an m72 car.Ive only got room for one so the Klr rig lost out and was sold. I've found both Dmc cars to be excellent quality and the customer service is helpful and friendly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. azwiz

azwiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys, I guess Im not going to be "that" offroad, just dirt roads and large enough trails. Street use also, enduro hack may be a bit minimal. Have you heard anyone using Honda NC700X for hack? Do you think a 650 or 700 is big enough for a sidecar? This will be a 2nd bike just for fun, have HD Tri Glide for road use.

Thanks again

Steve
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of builders who make frames/subframes for a variety of bikes, but I haven't heard of anybody using an NC700 for a tug.
    Since you're already aware of DMC, I suggest you have a look at the "off the shelf" offerings listed under Products on the website. As for 650-700 cc bikes, there are mounts for KLR 650, Verseys 650, V-Strom 650 and Bergman 650 just to name a few. With an appropriate chair they are all capable of 65+mph
  6. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the Ural is only 40-43 hp & well over 700 pounds.
  7. supermotosean

supermotosean Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've been running a Ninja 500R for almost a year with Friendship II setup, as long as you don't need extended freeway use you're in good shape. Mine will still cruise 65/70 if need be (it held at 80 on a calm day), gearing changes are your friend :deal
  8. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of an NC700 as a tug. A very torquey engine and also very economical to run. My 650 Vstrom has all the power needed for a tug. If Ural can do it with an ancient pushrod engine then the Honda would be well able. And cheap to buy as well. Hope to see it soon.
    Cheers, Bruce.
  9. azwiz

azwiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replys guys. This is a great forum, super info and pics!

Thanks again
    Steve
  10. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have not done the VC700 yet. I see no problem doing so but do need a bike to work from. If you have not purchacased the bike yet people often buy a bike from a dealer local to us. We pick it up and install the sidecar. Shipping a bike with a sidecar on it does not cost much more then shipping a crated sidecar.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:

But the "fly and ride" makes a way better epic story! If you survive the 800 mile ride home then you probably can handle your rig.