Woody's 21" vs OEM 19"

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BMW-K, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2..:ear

Inquiring minds want to know....:D
  2. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had the 21 conversion on the gs for about 6,000 miles . I average around 150 miles offroad every weekend and 500 commuting .First if you don't ride with knobs (tkc or other)please dont comment this isn't a dirt bike , it is an enduro and a good one ( just not for dirt noobs). I dont hot rod alot on the pavement because i ride only tkc80s . I ride only tubeless because I commute every day and this is my only transportation.,I don't trust tubes at 80 mph for long distances .The 21 to me feels no differant on the pavement ,it made my speedo acurate with my gps. OFFROAD it is un believably differant . It absorbes rocks .roots washouts alot better . As for the sand , and ruts its hands down differant. thanks woody. this is the way this great motorcycle should have been made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks again woody the wheel is great , best upgade i have made
  3. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

if you really like offroad these wheels are great:clap
  4. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Greta pics and info Woody. How hard is it to just take stock wheels and convert them to accept tubes? I always thought it would be good to have tubes as they are easier to repair/replace on the roadside.
  5. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey andy it's friggin easier than ya think:wink:

if you have tubeless already and ya want tubes....well then

1..if you have rims that are like the oem genuine tubeless set-up ala the X-laced wheels on your GS...just remove the valve stem and use a tube in it 's place ,,,end of story

2,,if you have modified ie sealed wheels ,,,well ya just do the same thing,,,remove the valve stem and install a tube,,don't even need to install a rim band because the sealant used acts like a rim band on steroids:wink:

it's that simple

woody
  6. AndyCap

Oddometer:
    Woody -

Thanks man. Are there any detractors to using a tube? I mean, it seems to me it would be a lot easier to fix a flat with tubes. PROs/CONs?

BTW - yes, I am saving up to get a set of your wheels some time next year hopefully.
  7. WANNABEEmer

WANNABEEmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well the thing: a tyre without tube you can put a tube in when having a flat if you already have a tube you have to fix both.
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    OBTW,,,i really like your use of that word 'detractors',,has a certain ring to it:wink:

hope that helped ya..
    woody
  9. AndyCap

Oddometer:
    Helped quite a bit - thanks to both of you.

The conclusion - I will go tubeless, but carry a spare tube on those long remote rides just in case.
  10. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    go tubeless its the way to go ....
  11. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterdays ride consisted of miles of sugar sand jeep trails the gs performed great even at low speeds ( under 15 mph) through the sand no plowing at speeds up to 50 + no problems tracks straight .:clapthanks woody's
  13. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been watching your Black Water thread and was going to ask how your felt about the deeper sugar sand. I ride it, but sometimes it terrifies me when riding through long stretches at higher speeds when I start to lose speed then control.

I might have to give the 21 a try.
  14. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    the sand is easy , it used to be alittle wiggly with the 19 but with the 21 i can go slow or fast ... walking speed in sec or 50 plus ... truelly no problem . I have had dr. drz's. klr 's and orange bikes chase me through the forest it does good , well worth the money if you ride offroad like me .. all the time . most of the guys in the p-cola thread . barny, inept , mug, can tell you how it handles ,or lets plan a ride ...
  15. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 21 inch conversion truelly makes the gs a grande dirt bike:clap
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    looks like some fun stuff,,,

FYI,,,the other day i added this piece of advice in my vendor thread called ':Ask woody about your wheels''...

it addresses the next plateau for enhancing the stability of your big bike,,,it also has a link to a solid thread about steering stabilizers,,,although it appears that it's a love fest for the Scott's user ,,2 years ago their was another steering stabilizer thread that started off with someones Oh Wow reaction to installing the more modestly priced and simpler Hyper-Pro unit,,,,which begat a commentary on many of the others....

anyway here's the link to my commentary...
    FYI:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15851531&postcount=2071

onward and over the sand dunes:wink:
    w
  17. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Lord, this bike made me feel funny down there, like climbing the rope in gym class! :D Seriously, seriously bad ass!
  18. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for the stabilizer with telalever I have never seen the point , with the 21 I can ride through sand at a snails pace or 4th gear 60 mph pulls. the only other mod I have done is adv shocks for the extra travel even on jumps no more bottoming . checkout black water photos in the flatistan site:clap:clapthanks woody..... I need a helmet cam......but then the wife would ground me..lol
  19. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    I had posted about this 21" front in some other threads and tried to find them but this one came up and I think the thread title matched the subject better anyways...

I just wanted to give a report about my new 21" wheel after a trip to Death Valley let me try it out for the first time. I got these as an extra set of wheels so I'll put my Tourances back on my stock spoked wheels for street use. The specs on these (from Woody's Wheel Works):

Supersize Superlace & True

Seal Bike Wheel rear can go TUBELESS

Rim Excel 1.60x21 A60 with rimloks WITH ROTORS AND ABS RING INCLUDED

Rim Excel 3.50x17 Black

SS Spokes & Nipples

Superlite Hub Brake Adapter

Superlite Hub Front Dual Billet custom

Superlite Hub Rear billet..super tasty...

TKC80 90/90-21

TKC80 150/70-17

I was asked if I felt I was giving anything up on the street. I don't really ride the bike in the corners like a lot of others do so it's hard for me to say what I've given up. I still hit the corners at a good clip but wouldn't really get that aggressive. I still have the other set so I can put those back on for street use anytime I want.

As far as offroad performance goes, I've noticed a big difference. I was going through sand a LOT easier, as well as over rocks and larger obstacles.

These wheels are also a LOT stronger, so they'll take more abuse.

Even though the wheel still works with the fender, I took it off because I heard that because the clearance is so much less that even a small bit of mud can bring you to a standstill. I wish there was a better fender solution out there for the 21" front. Wunderlich has one but you have to buy this new $800 fork clamp set and that seemed like a total waste. Touratech has a "rally" front fender that is supposed to have more clearance but don't know if it's meant for the 21" wheel. I doubt that it is. There isn't a whole lot of mud out here in SoCal anyways, so it hasn't been an issue in the 13 months I've been riding this bike.

Without a fender, I have to deal with more crap hitting the headers and the engine, as well as water and mud splashing up through the forks and handlebars into my face. I even had a small rock fly up and hit me in the face shield. If you have an upgraded skid plate like the BDCW one, that should help a lot. I've seen the header guards out there too.

I am also now running a tube up front so that means I have to have my front wheel removal tool, extra tubes, tire irons, etc... in case I get a flat. With tubeless, all I needed was a plug kit. But so far no flat, so that's cool. I'm doing a Baja ride and will put a bit of slime in it just for good measure.

So in a nutshell I'm really pleased with the new wheel set. 21" does make a big difference and meant I could do more and enjoy what I did a lot more. I wish I had a fender and now have to hassle with tubes, but I'm largely happy with it.

[​IMG]
  20. bzrider

bzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap