How To Get Stuff Shipped In Advance In Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    How To Get Stuff Shipped In Advance In Mexico?, we need to get chains and sprockets sent somewhere but how and where, we don't know anyone here.

How has everyone else done it as I am sure we are not the first.

Many thanks.
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are 2 Mexicos, the one next to the border and "interior or main land" Mexico, wait.. where are you?? I see you are from NZ I am thinking maybe you are somewhere north (USA) so maybe that can help some in sending stuff here.

AS I was saying the border area and Baja California (the peninsula) it is call a free area so duties are less and getting things from one point to the other is easier, if you are thinking of main land it will be expensive, that is all BUT another option is to buy it in Mexico. It will take time, unless you have a small bike (even this could take time).

Some more info could be nice to have, what bike do you have, where you want to ship stuff. and so on.

Damasovi
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are quite a few inmates who expat in Mexico.

SR, MikeMike, Craneguy, Kiko, Miguelito, TurkeyCreek and on and on and on.

You probably could DHL your stuff to one of these cooperative gents with a little planning.
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm down in Manzanillo on the coastal road (200), SW of Guadalajara. If you're coming this way I'd be happy to receive whatever parts you need. Just be sure whoever sends them includes all the right customs documents or your shipment will be 'lost' forever. Also, be aware that you'll get billed at least 16% tax on whatever you import and no matter what anyone tells you up front, it'll take at least a week to get here from the US (even if they're overnighted). You're best off using either UPS or DHL. Fedex has horrible service in Mexico outside of all but the largest cities. If you guys are rolling through town I'm happy to offer work space and tools or even some basic (but free) accommodations. Happy trails.
  5. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    expats work, as do hostels. we shipped a country or two ahead of time in some cases.
  6. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    May take up the offers, trying to get a local addy around here in Hermosillo, if it is a week or so away we can do some day runs out and hang about, we would prefer to get them sorted up here as the fronts are getting skinny, at worst we could try and find another front to cover us until the new stuff arrives, will hear about that today hopefully.

Be back to you gents.
  7. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Oh OK, if it's just tires you need then order them in Mexico. They can usually be had anywhere within a couple of days. It's when you have to import from the US that things get sticky. If it's just tires you need then any moto shop should be able to order them for you if they don't already have them on the shelf.
  8. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your still in Hermosillo, and doing day rides, you will be better off going to Tucson. Getting parts supplies, maps before heading south. As Airhead mentioned you do not have to check out your moto's and should not have any issues. I will be in Hermosillo tonight, probably going to stay at San Sebastion, near the ballpark.
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    It is just chains and sprockets, we ordered the Sidewinder stuff which was on backorder, so we are getting

2 x 14 t front
    2 x 43 t rear
    2 x chains

At worst if we were to have them sent to you where could we pick up another 14T front for the DR650, up here?

Will go out to the bikes and take photos of the front sprockets so you can see, we were going to go through Copper Canyon then head down your way, we may have to chance tactics, back in 5.
  10. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I've never been to Hermosillo, so I can't help with specifics, but I'd imagine a city of 750,000 would have a decent suzuki dealership, especially since police often ride V-stroms down here. For the rest of the stuff, if it's on backorder and you're not picky on the brand, the local suzuki guy here can get any oem suzuki parts in a couple of days from Guadalajara. Enjoy copper canyon.
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    This is my bike with 18962 miles on the clock

[​IMG]

This is Ellens bike with 18227 miles on the clock

[​IMG]

As I said, wanted to and tried to be done and dusted before now but outside circumstances didn't let this happen :baldy
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    By my reckoning you will only be about 3 km from us, will PM you where we are.
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    What part of Mexico now? still looking?
    I have a hair brain idea if your not traveling to quickly down the coast... & still in need of parts...??
  14. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I've had lots of stuff shipped down here always by USPS.

Taxes are hit and miss. Small packets are ignored. Bigger boxes get hit for taxes.

FedEx and the other couriers always declare.

Everything made it to me in 10 to 14 days.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Hermosillo till tomorrow lunch then off toward Copper Canyon, Copper Canyon then south/east/west from there

Only need our chains and sprockets for both bikes, everything else is done and dusted
  16. going south

Oddometer:
    It's just a thought; I land in Seattle next sunday November 18th, and then land in Mazatlan the afternoon of wednesday the 21st...
    If you could ship them to my place in Seattle, WA. by that date, I could hand carry to Mazatlan!
    I don't know what your time frame is, and just an option...

Good luck, Jim...
  17. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used these guys in the past for Suzuki parts. They are a big Suzuki dealer located in Monterrey. If they have the parts in stock they can send them within a day and have them to you in 3. If they have to get the parts from somewhere else it will take about a week. I'd call them for you to see if they have the parts in stock but today is Sunday.

http://www.proshop.com.mx/

They can send the parts anywhere, a hotel etc. You are welcome to send them to me in DGO if you can make it here with the sprockets you have. I have some experience in running very warn out sprockets:rofl and my guess it that you probably could make it here depending on how much time you plan to spend in Copper Canyon.

The way mail order works in Mexico is that: 1) You order the part fom the vendor, 2) They give you a bank account number, 3) You go to the bank and deposit the money in the account and the bank gives you a confirmation number, 4) You give the confirmation number to the vendor and they check that the deposit has been made, 5) They send the parts. It is kind of a pain but the whole thing can be done in less than an hour.

If they have the parts in stock this is the best bet, in terms of time. If they dont, any motorcycle shop in Mexico can get almost anything within reason for you in about a week. If you order from a shop they save you the trouble of having to go through this process. There is a good shop here in DGO that can get the parts in a week.
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    You are a gem Jim

Sent you a PM, we can do that and I reckon my sprocket may (will hold) till then ,we have a spare so not a biggy and Ellens has some life left without concern.
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya SR, great info thanks and if Sidewinder can't get it sorted then we they say they will we will do a plan B based on your post and get std Suzuki stuff and be done.

Really appreciating the Mexican ADV tree as a few days ago everything seemed to be caving in a bit.

Will keep you posted, we are away from Hermosillo Monday lunch toward Copper Canyon then south from there :clap
  20. going south

Oddometer:
    Ok Andi & Ellen: I just sent you a PM... sorry bout taking so long, it was a long day here.... My job...
    If the PM didn't go through I'll try again, the E- net here is weak...

Good luck... Jim..