Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone

I'm in Chico and ride a Triumph Tiger. Looking for people to ride with. I want to explore the off road stuff around the Chico area and foothills.
  2. NHESS81

NHESS81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ought to be some stuff around Oroville eh? I dunno. I used to live in Sacramento, but didn't go up around that area much.
  3. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The area is full of dual sport riding! There is a vast network of logging roads that conect to higways and national parks. There's lots of routes through Chico to Chester, Lassen, Quincy, and beyond.........

I'm reluctant to get to "out there" on my own because of the risk factor of solo riding.
  4. lowx

lowx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Paradise and can ride almost anytime. I've got a Vstrom 1000 and a DRZ 400. How is that Tiger off road. My Vstrom sucks off road but the DRZ is great.
  5. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADVrider! PM me with your phone number. Want to ride today, sunday?
  6. lowx

lowx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  7. hilukstrux

hilukstrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Chico too.

Anybody been to the Monday night 2WM bike-night at Big Al's? Maybe we could meet up there just to ssy hi and BS for a bit. It looks like mostly sportbiker squids, but since I've got one in the stable...

Anyway I am up for some ds rides, midweek anyone?:ear
  8. lowx

lowx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What time is the meet?
  9. hilukstrux

hilukstrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Meet time is supposed to be from 7-9 PM. I'm going tonight (first time) about 7:30. A frosty milk shake sounds good right now.:1drink

Oh yeah, I'll be on the KTM GO!!!!!!
  10. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    to that area probably next spring. I'll be looking for a riding partner also. Put me on your friends list and keep me in mind. I'm up there usually once a month at this point but usually working.:cry used to live up there in the mid-80's and miss it. Looking forward to getting back there and doing more riding.:clap
  11. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just moved to Chico a week ago to attend Chico State in the fall. It would be cool to meet some other people in town. I went up to the High Lakes a few days ago, but am trying to find something else that is close by with some mountain trails.
  12. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    howdy from Oroville. time to get my GranCanyon a bit dirty. Jan
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Im in Chico and I know most all the trails in the mountains around here,the trick is they are mostly two stroke oriented single track and there are more blown down trees this year then ever. Lots of dirt/gravel roads going every which way,the silt beds are getting deep by now which can be tricky.
    We went out yesterday(sunday) and rode backroads to Philbrook lake,we were stopped by 6ft snow banks at 6500 ft elevation and had to take a lower road to get there. Then we took a well established trail towards Butte Meadows,ended up being many bent over and blown over tress,we had to bushwack around some way out in the woods and cut some others to get through. I have a plated DRZe Suzuki 400 and a DR650 that is better for long dirt/pavement jaunts.

Early morning rides are good with 100+ temps going on currently.

A buddy of mine is getting a dualsport business started out of Chico,we just did a 400 miler to the coast and back a couple weeks ago,had 30 guys sign up,it was a fun 2 day ride. His site is www.ironmandualsport.com

Also there is a local club called the Paradise Ridge riders,they are based out of Paradise but half the meetings are in Chico,they are a good group and theres a few dualsport riders in it. www.paradiseridgeriders.com is their site I believe. Not much of a site but has some contacts on it.
  14. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who's up for a ride this weekend? Higlakes and beyond.....Chester .....Lassen........
  15. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
    High lakes trails are covered in snow. I guess I should have mentioned that. I went up to Mishop Bar Campground off of Milsap Bar Road today. It's about an 8 mile dirt road that leads to the campground right on the Feather River. Past the campground, Milsap Bar Road turns into an OHV trail. I kept going up for about another mile and then turned around. On the map it continues on to a cluster of other roads that may be worth exploring. The ride was just over 120 miles overall and was pretty nice. I would be up for a day ride somewhere this weekend. I'd like to scout out some good fishing/camping spots if that can be worked in somehow.
  16. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Do you have a good GPS unit? Right now I only have a TOM TOM I hae been thrashing. I can get some maps if I know where we might go.
  17. bennyhana73

bennyhana73 Seeker

Oddometer:
    Hey all, just saw this and I am always up for good day or weekend rides/camping and such. However I live down by Carson City, but have family in Paradise, and am always running back and forth. Would love to link up and explore the country up there, and vice versa, if anyone wants to explore old ghost towns and mining towns, let me know. I know lots of locations, and am, as I said, always up for good rides. Let me know. I have a couple guys I ride with currently, but they mostly do single track stuff, and the old KLR is just a little heavy for my small ass to be playing Motocross Rider. Thanks, and look forward in advance to hearing from anyone. :clap
  18. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
    I don't have a GPS at all. I was actually looking at them last night. I'm thinking about getting one if I can stay at or under $200. I don't know if that would be possible if I want it to be waterproof and have topo and road maps included. I think I will try and find some good trail maps for the area first, since those are a good thing to have anyway. A GPS would have been really useful yesterday because I took a couple of wrong turns and luckily figured out where I was since the roads I was on were on the edge of my road map. I'll try and find a couple of options for rides this weekend. I'll put up the idea on the DR650 thread as well.
  19. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    Sunday looks like a good day for me. my new to me GranCanyon has not been off the pavement yet and it is about time. I'm in Oroville. JB
  20. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
    I can do Sunday. It looks like there is a road that goes from Philbrook reservoir up to Lake Almanor. It could be fun, but I'll have to look at the elevation compared to the High Lakes trails to make sure it's not also covered in snow.