Death Valley DAZE 2013

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by RAZR, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    First before you do all that.... If it is just slightly leaking....

Get a pair of pantyhose from your closet... Or your wife's closet... Or your girlfriend...

Try first to locate the nick on the fork leg by running a bit of the hose over the fork tube... The hose picks out the tiniest nicks... Then using 1000-1500 then 2500 grit sand paper/Emery cloth go in a up and down then a left and right over the nick... Knocking it down little by little finish with the 2500. Test with hose to ensure its gone. If there's no nicks in the first place use a piece of 35mm film or a really thin piece of plastic to go around seal to see if a grain of sand is trapped and you can ream it out... Easy peasy. I always carry two postage sized pieces of emery cloth in a ziplock along with a piece of film... A lot of times buffing out the nick does it... Or reduces leakage greatly....

2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    something on your mind Jimmay? :killen
  3. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha all the time...
  4. ricksca

ricksca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just booked site 75. DR650
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I will take you up on your generous offer. Just need room for my Kia van & an itty bitty trailer with an itty bitty bike. Just need info on where & what day/time. Will settle up with you when I get there if that is OK?
  6. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, just sent you info, let me know if you don't get it. Motorcycles don't count toward the vehicle limit either :clap
  7. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Route planning, I've never been and could go up through there or through Tehachapi, but that looks like a tarmac. Can I ride through Lake Isabella this time of year? aka, is there snow?
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it thanks so much.
  9. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Sure can. Elevation at the lake is actually below 3000'. Pick up some crack on your way through. Just an FYI, going up the 178 is quite curvy and could be icy depending on the time of day. Personally, I'd just stay on the highway and get your butt to DV.
  10. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    10-4
  11. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Bah. I went up and over Greenhorn (155) in snow and ice, in the dark in 2009. No worries. I might be considered mildly tilted, though... :deal

Either way, down at the lake, you'll be fine as there won't be anything.

I would avoid 178 as there is usually a lot of traffic on that road since it is the main route out of Bakersfield I think.
  12. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Do they sell fireworks near or in Beatty? Obviously not for blowing off at camp but for the 4th of July.
  15. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this Mike, the same Pvt Joker from DRN?
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

I like that route. Lots of canyon curves before Isabella and some mountain curves on Walker pass at the Eastern end. Walker gets some snow, but it does not last long. So can Tehachapi for that matter. Check Caltrans before you go.
  17. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, 178 is a hoot. I commuted the canyon for years. Ice is rare but possible under the right conditions. I'd take 178 over 58 though Tehachapi any day...unless you're driving and pulling a trailer. 58 is a complete bore and honestly not much faster. I drove up 178 yesterday and it was perfect- It's dry, it was sunny, and it's starting to green up so it's real nice. 155 is an ice rink up top and I wouldn't go near it. My plan is to ride 178 up to Kelso and then head south and pick up Jawbone out to the 14. North to Indian Wells Brewery for a quick beer and then on to DV. Not the quickest but a little dirt on the way anyhow.
  18. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did 178 on 30th and on the second. It was dark and really cold when I drove up on the 30th. But I had lots of fun when I took it on the way back around 3 pm. Lovely road and very scenic.

Petzi-baer
  19. pvt joker

pvt joker Latebird

Oddometer:
    That's me. Its great to find old friends again. A few buddies and I are coming out to DV for this and moto camping.
  20. 808Tugpilot

808Tugpilot Pop A Wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Work in the Pacific Ocean. Home in Reno/Sparks
    Nope, not gonna make it....... Just too many things coming up towards the end of the month.... Had delusions of grandeur riding around and partying w/you FF's..... This is the fourth trip I've planned that has fallen through. Some day I will get my bike over there again and store it in the LV area - Trips will be much easier then....

FUCK.