950 se knocking, popping, ... issues

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Doc.Snyder, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.

I've got some strange issues with my SE....

1 - when firing it up in the morning I need a lot of Choke, revs going up and down. random knocks from the engine (revs go down, when knocking). when engine is warm and you open and hold throttle a bit, revs going up and down, sometimes misfires and knocks from engine ...
    2 - when riding at constant speeds at medium revs, ie. 1st and 2nd gear exiting my apartment complex (10 - 20 mph) it doesn't "feel good". fast-slow-fast slow, as if something's slows/brakes the engine (same ie. at 4th gear, medium constant speed in traffic)
    3 - pops a lot on decel.
    4 - when parking it for 30min or so, often difficult to start up again. No problems if it was parked longer.

Other than that it drives great. Accelerates smoothly, powerful on the highway and on trails, ... no issues.
    Recently did oil change, oil filter, air filter, removed emissions (canister, ...). still have the Problem.
    There seems to be no exhaust leak, doesn't need water / oil.

Help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
  2. medrunner

medrunner super endurer

Oddometer:
    All the symptoms you explain show that you are running lean,that's why you need a lot of choke (to choke the engine means to allow more fuel and less air inside the engine so it burns more rich).

remember cold air=more oxygen
    more oxygen needs a more rich setting to work correctly.

have you had your SE for a long time?
    did your SE make these symptoms also in hotter weather?(i dont think so)
    have you changed spark plugs recently?

check out also:

http://www.freepdfmanual.com/ktm-950990-adventure-super-duke-supermoto-and-enduro/

it is the 950 service manual
  3. Steve1100gs

Steve1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just cut and pasted this from another thread here in OC

Steve1100gs
    Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
    The stock pumps are total crap. Similar in quality to early east german car components.

My SE ran like crap for ages before the pump finally died. When I fitted the facet I realised that a lot of the running problems had gone and must have been related to the fuel pump.
    What really pissed me off was that the pump has not been modded or replaced, the KTM unit cost more than double the Facet and I would have had to wait a week for the fucking thing to arrive.

As a side note, my bike came with Acras and always popped and banged. The shop told me they had jetted it for the acras which I found to be very unlikely as the needles were on the lowest position when I finally went in to look. Raised by two notches and half a turn out on the idle mix screws. Bike now runs sweet (and cooler) and can out drag R1's up to its top speed of 100mph.

950 SE
    CRM 250
    Fantic 303
  4. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Pm Sent