'91 GSPD problem

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by rob, Jul 23, 2006.

1. rob

rob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    was riding the '91 GSPD today. The bike has 78,300 miles and a recent tune up ~2,000 miles ago. It has a Stayntune (sp?) muffler with 7 disks. The weather was clear and in the mid 80's. It was running great until I got to some stop lights.

As I was waiting to proceed I noticed the idle was in the 2000 rpm area. I checked the trottle cables in the carbs and they seemed to be in place. The next grouping of lights, the idle started at 2000 and creeped up to 3000.

I hightailed it home and started to look. No luck, everything seems in place.

Any idea's where to look? What to do?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Lessen
    '73 XL250
    '91 R100GSPD
    '95 R11RS
    '05 R12RT
  2. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    One cause of increasing idle can be a bike that wasn't warmed up enough when the carbs were synced. Another can be airleaks in the rubbers etc. JT
  3. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Run a propane torch around the inside of the carb bodies with the engine warmed up and idling, and if the idle drops when it's near the starter enrichener covers, that's your problem - the gaskets have shrunk and the covers are leaking air.

mully
  4. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't light the torch.
  5. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    for rob that is some good advice to add. :D

had any time to figure out the issue yet rob???
  6. rob

Oddometer:

Thanks blake!!:D

I've just had a few minutes to poke around. Bette has me politiciting after work. Plus the 100 degree heat is back. I may be able to dig in later this week or the weekend.

How's the family??

Rob
  7. bmwmick

bmwmick Old and Slow....Sorta

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    Same answer, different forum. :)

Rob,
    Couple of ideas.........
    Clean and lube the 'bean can' advance mechanism. The grease can harden
    and when hot, the plate sticks in the advanced position. To test, disconnect the
    battery, remove the front cover. Reconnect the battery and take it for a ride. When it begins to fail, stop and see if you can rotate the advance plate and lowerthe idle RPM.
    Another source can be air leaks around the carb spigots or the rubber hoses. Spray some WD-40 at these areas when it is idling high to see if it drops. If so, fix the leaks. : ))
    StainTune mufflers do NOT have 'plates'. You must have an old Super Trap on there. :)

Mick
    Tucson
  8. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    when mine did the same thing I found that one of the lower choke cables had broken and the choke was stuck partway on. One the bike is running, push down on the choke actuator arms to make sure they are fully open.
  9. rob

Oddometer:
    THanks Mick, I'll start this weekend. The rubber bits in front of the carbs look new but I'll break out my supply of WD-40. Would air leaks cause the increased idle when warmed?

As for the muffler, yeah, my bad, it's a Super Trap.

Thanks again. I'll let y'll know what I discover.

Rob Lessen
    Arma, KS
  10. rob

Oddometer:

Boy I want that to be the problem. I really don't want to break out my wrench.:evil It always gets dirty and I have to clean it.:lol3

Thanks I'll look at it first.

Rob Lessen
    Arma, KS
  11. bmwmick

bmwmick Old and Slow....Sorta

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    Yes, air leaks will cause an increased idle but from your description, I'd bet it's the advance unit.

Mick
  12. Johann

Johann Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for choke cable(s).SOLO LOBO diagnosed the same fault for me a couple of months back. Had same symptoms, bike would start fine, run OK for a few miles, then the first time I came to a stop the tickover began rising to 1500rpm then 1750 rpm with no discernible cause.

Choke cable on my bike ('91 R80GS) came in three pieces and took about ten minutes to fit.The only mildly difficult bit was the plastic divider where rhe cables split which had clearly never been touched since the bike left the factory.

The same symptoms will show if the screws covering the vacuum plugs are missing from bottom of carbs (don't ask me how I know!).

My cables went at 37,000 miles. From other people I have spoken to life of all control cables seems to be somewhere in the 35-45000 mile range.Given the mileage on your bike seems due for a second set of control cables soon.
  13. Johann

Johann Long Timer

Oddometer:
  14. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    And to be honest, I only know because I checked for air leaks, re-adjusted my valves sixteen times and pulled out a considerable amount of hair before I checked my cables.....

15. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    This problem sounds very serious. Better sell me the bike very cheaply! LOL :lol3
  16. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    the heat is cutting into my riding time a bit as well. i haven't even thought about riding my dirt bike since its been so warm.

the family's doing well, thanks for asking. palmer likes making vroom vroom noises and sitting on the bike already.

[​IMG]

17. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    She's a Cutie Blake!!!! Gonna make a Motorcycle Rider out of her?
    How's the GS doing? ANy more cleaning secrets? :lol3 :lol3

Boojum!
  18. GS Tom

GS Tom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob, I could come over from Joplin this evening and take the problem off your hands to relieve you of further worries.:deal

GS Tom
  19. rob

Oddometer:

Mmmmm, let me think.......not yet.:rofl

The PD always gives me the grins. Except when stuff happens and I have to get the wrench out of the sock drawer. Plus it is so big that I have problems with getting on to the smaller nuts and bolts. :wink:

Thanks though.

Rob