Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was posted in Upcoming as well, but Im sure some local inmates would enjoy it::

CANYONLANDS ADVENTURE RIDE
    Hosted by DUBINKY Adventure Apparel
    To help support The Utah Shared Access Alliance and keep open recreation in Utah.
    [​IMG]

What:
    -Indian Ruins, Vast Vistas, Amazing Riding, Mountains, Canyons, Complete Isolation, got your attention:wink:! This ride will tour some of the most epic, remote and rugged terrain in southeast Utah. Riders need to be self sufficient from the bike for at least on night of primitive camping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When:
    -May 2-5 2013 (or the 3-5 if meeting in Moab)
    Where:
    -There are two options on where to start. If you want a three-day adventure the ride will start on May 2nd at Rabbit Valley in Colorado. We will ride the Kokopelli trail into Moab. Anyone that can only make the 3rd-5th we will meet on the morning of the 3rd in Moab, UT. The ride will then finish in Moab on the 5th.
    Lodging: The night of the 2nd will be in Moab and for now it is up to everyone individually to find lodging. If there is enough interest I will get a group site at a BLM Campground and we can split the cost ($5-7 per person Id guess).

The Night of the 3rd will be primitive camping in the backcountry, there will be no amenities.

The night of the 4th will be tent camping in a BLM primitive campground. I will provide all the BBQ you can eat as well as all the beer you can drink:freaky:clap.

Route:
    -2nd Kokopelli trail from Rabbit Valley to Moab.
    -3rd Lockhart basin from Moab, through the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park, and over Elephant Hill into Ruin Park.
    -4th Over the Mante La Sal through Wooden Shoe Rd to Lake Powell, then up through the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park to the San Rafael Swell for BBQ and Beer. This will be a full day or riding.
    -5th Back to Moab, via what ever route the groups wants. Either pavement, or from Green River through Dubinky Wells to Moab, or everyone can head home from there.

Details:
    -This is an Adventure style ride and we will be in the wilderness. Riders need to be able to carry enough supplies and gear for one night of camping in the backcountry on their bike. Ridding will be moderate, with a few challenging sections at different areas, but for the most part two track dirt roads. The Kokopelli section and Elephant Hill will the most difficult.

Bike choice is up to you (hey we’re all adults). It would be best for a bike under 650cc, for the difficult sections as described above. However if there are a few larger bikes I will provide an alternate route for the 3-4 difficult areas. I have not ridden anything over a 650cc bike in this area, but I really think if we work as a group there will be no problem getting a bike under 1000ccs through (ie BMW 800 or KTM Adv9xx ride at your own risk though!)

Gas will be limited and we need a range of 180 miles.

Riders need tools and spare parts for basic repairs.

Just as a disclaimer ...This is very remote country and the severity of any problems, either with rider or bike, are multiplied several times. Something minor in other areas can turn very serious and this means both in terms of mechanical problems and injuries. Participants should be accomplished riders with a high skill level, who are sufficient and capable of self rescue. Also riders should try and do this ride with a "buddy" so if they need to bail there is a riding partner with them.

This ride gives you the opportunity to see some amazing county and there is a possibility what we ride could be closed or very limited in the future. Click here for information on this threat.

So how’s that sound!!! Who's in:deal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT 12-6-12:

Ride is FULL.
  2. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    Count me in, sounds like an awesome ride!! :ricky
  3. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb. Great I think it will be a lot of fun. Now just need to get through the winter!
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd really like to do this ride, done some of it and I've always wanted to link it all together. Unfortunately May won't work for me this year. If it becomes an annual thing, I'm in next go around.

This trip will pass through some really spectacular areas, Lockheart Basin, Beef Basin, Natural Bridges, Dark Canyon, the Maze, Robbers Roost etc, etc, etc,,,:wink: If one wants to see the best of Canyonlands, this is it.

As a side note, the area is considered to have one of the darkest night skies in the entire US, camping should be a treat if it's a clear night.
  5. musty40

musty40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing sounding trip with some challenging riding. Most notably Elephant Hill and Bobby's Hole.

Was there this past spring covering most of those areas but we were in our trucks.

Will be fun to watch this thread and the completed ride report.
  6. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride and I would really like to attend. When is the dead line for sign up? I bid a new schedule and will know March 1st if I have or can take the time off. Thanks for putting this together.
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    looks excellent - I'll have to check that 180 mile range part though....
  8. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    just bring the Wolfman bags & the MSR fuel bottles.....:deal:lol3
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The IMS tank is on, but only gains 0.6 gallons....so I will have the full exploding Ogio vest compliment along too. :nod :rofl
  10. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you need to be plated?

Edit.....180 mile range....hmm...I'd need to look into that part. Anyone know about how much capacity I'd need for a 2006 KTM 450 EXC?
  11. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome. Tentatively in.
  12. 60wag

60wag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a great ride. Chesler Park, Ruin Park and the Maze are some of my all time favorite areas. Your bike will need to be plated.

I can squeeze 150 miles out of my '03 KTM450EXC with the 3 gallon Clarke tank. A spare 1/2 to 1 gallon of extra fuel would be needed. If there is any way to have a sag wagon carrying fuel, water and camping gear, that'd make the riding a lot more fun.
  13. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it will be an amazing ride:eek1, I hope everyone can make it.

Probably after the first of the year I will get a registration page set up on Dubinky.com, so it is a little more organized and we know for sure who can make it.

To Fred Garvin:

There is no "deadline" but I would just need a final number about 2 weeks prior to the ride so I can get enough food and beer. So just let us know when you get your new schedule.

I have had several people ask about the specific millage and either today or tomorrow I will get the GPS tracks completed so I can say for sure. The longest leg is from the Out Post in the Needles District to Lake Powell. I think it will really be more like 150 but that leaves some extra for exploring around Ruin Park.

Yes you will need to be plated.

I agree it would be nice to have a shag wagon for the 1st night, but I am not sure how feasible it is. My wife will be meeting us for the second night in the Swell for the BBQ, but it is so remote in ruin park I would not want her to try and drive into the area. It may turn into a search and recovery ride:lol3:deal

If someone knows a better plan for the 1st night Im open to suggestions, but I just dont know how you can do it without being self sufficient. Unless someone feels more like four wheeling than riding and meeting us in there :lol3

Stay tuned for the GPS tracks and milage. in the mean time here are some more teaser pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL that would be something to see
  15. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
  16. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok regarding the fuel range. I think I may have over estimated.........

I just got the tracks done from Moab to Hite. The longest leg from the outpost to Hite is 113 miles. Add in range to explore the ruins, reserve etc and I think we will need 150 miles and that will be pretty conservative. Hopefully that will help some people out if they were on the fence about range.

Just a little more info on how I envisioned the days for riding.

-Day one will be about about +- 80 miles from Moab to Ruin Park. Most of the riding is pretty fast and open with the exception of Elephant Hill and area through Canyonlands going into Beef Basin and Ruin Park. This area has a few difficult obstacles and the riding in general is more demanding for about 8-10 miles. I would like to leave Moab no later then 8am and get to the camping spot by about 2-3pm. This will leave plenty of time for people to explore and get some good riding in with the bikes unloaded around beef basin.

-Day two will be the longest day probably 150-170 miles (still working on the complete track) and I think it will be a full 8-10 hours of riding to get into the Swell. All this will be pretty easy riding with amazing scenery. The longest leg to gas will be about 120 miles.

-Day three can be challenging or a mild ride back to Moab depending on what people want and here it would be easy to split into two groups. From the Swell to Green River it is fast graded county roads, sit back and relax kind of riding. Once in Green River we can ride single track through the Dubinky area for an ass kicker finish or stay to to the county roads. Longest leg to gas will be around 80-100 miles.

If people are up to a good day of single track we can unload all the camping gear from the bikes at the Swell and my wife can haul the gear and meet us in Moab.

Hopefully that helps with the range questions.
  17. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    You should toss in a little detour down Impossible Hill on the way to Ruin Park. :deal
  18. spokenerd

spokenerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great loop! Count me in for 2.
  19. rinoman

rinoman Let's ride

Oddometer:
    Sounds great.
    :wingsCount me in !
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    In (probably counted already with the NM crew).