NorthEast Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by outbacktaz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    3 minutes from a KTM dealership, Angus, On
    Hey all! If anyone is from the NorthEastern part of Alberta/NorthWestern part of Saskatchewan, leave a note!

Trying to start a group for rides and meetings in the area:freaky...

We live in adventure's back country, and the fellow riders I'm currently hangin out with ride crotch rockets...:cry!!
    I would really like to meet with people of my kind:evil!!!

So, I'm from Cold Lake, and if you're interested, let me know!!!:wings

Cheers!
  2. Gold5th

Gold5th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm over in Athabasca, but I ride a huge cruiser that doesn't like anything but paved.. I can do gravel, but gotta go slow with a 240 rear tire and a 150 front. the wife rides a crotch rocket. My last bike 88 virago i took off road and took gravel at not-so safe speeds.
  3. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    With the snow we had overnight, I think that our first meet we'll be next Spring!!:vardy

Keep in mind that just making it to Cold Lake, and then going back home will make it almost 800 kms round trip!! But I'm willing to pay you a visit next year...:evil
  4. Gold5th

Gold5th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    800km, bah that's not much. I bought my truck in Bonnyville, that's getting close to you, and the wife works from time to time in Lac LaBiche.
  5. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in Cold Lake as well. My Vee strom likes gravel a little too much, tends to run faster on the loose stuff than on tarmac. Also own a dr200 for playing in the dirt. Been here since 89, 2 roads into here and a million trails around, most of the gravel around here (especially into Sask) is in better shape than the pavement.
    Season is pretty much done here, but we usually don't see any real snow until after Xmas and even then it doesn't usually end up too deep.
    Hope to see you around.
    Responded to your insurance thread hope you find decent coverage.
  6. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Bonnyville. Agree the season is done for the most part but still can do short trips about the area. Last couple of years I rode every month. There is nothing that compares to drifting on the streets in the winter on a Goldwing sidecar rig ( wife's). The looks you get are worth dressing up for.

I ride Gold wing,wee strom and klr. Last summer tried to do the CDT but the passes were still full of snow in early July so went home. Tried again in last July and turned around in NM as it was toooo hot.

Maybe do coffee at Tim's some time

grump
  7. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to wish you all a Happy Holidays Season. Play safe and have fun!!:freaky
  8. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the warm weather we've had, has anyone been out riding? On Christmas day my family all got out for a family ride around the farm, my son and I cruised main street for a lap or two after gassing up at the Co-op. My wife was able to take my son's new pup out for a sidecar ride. Good Christmas memories

Yesterday I was able to try out the new K60 Scout rear tire on the KLR in the snow. Hope the cold snap that's coming doesn't last too long!

grump
  9. Gold5th

Gold5th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nope.. rear tire is blown :( a number of other people have been out.
  10. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    Have you guys herd about that poor guy in Calgary this last weekend? Died in a collision bike/car... Sucks...

Hopefully that coming cold snap won't last for too long!!:cry
  11. madjak30

madjak30 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like we're headed for a week of winter temps starting on Sunday...daytime highs of -15 to -20...yay :eek1

I'm from Sylvan Lake, so not too likely to make it for a ride...but who knows...I ride a sport standard with a big V twin...not really off road friendly...but I would like to get a more adventurous second bike...that won't happen for a while though...

Later.
  12. dj_squelch

dj_squelch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up in La Ronge, Sk. If you're ever in the neighborhood let me know!
  13. sherpaguy

sherpaguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope to pass through your neck of the woods about late June, coming from Flin Flon , Any good suggestions as to a nice route? I am riding a r1150gs and hope to see some country north of Prince Albert park.
  14. alberta bob

alberta bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:

We live in adventure's back country, and the fellow riders I'm currently hangin out with ride crotch rockets...:cry!!
    I would really like to meet with people of my kind:evil!!!

do what I did buy a pasta rocket so you can ride with your friends and their rice rockets :clap
  15. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    I guess that you haven't tried to ride at 120-130 on a gravel road, standing on the pegs, enjoying every minute of it, have you?

I had enough with the rockets. I had more than my share of that kind of ride. Not despising, just done and over with...

Try a KTM, you'll see the light when you won't have to slow down when the change of surface type occurs...:evil
  16. Gold5th

Gold5th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've done 130km/h down a gravel road on my old virago... won't do it on the C109RT though.. way to wide of tires for any control over 80km/h... some gravel I have to do 40km/h.
  17. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    There really isn't much you can call a road from Sask into Alberta north of the Cold Lake area. At least nothing I would attempt on any kind of motorcycle. The sask side of hwy 55 running east west is being rebuilt, they really tore it down, I doubt it will be paved until early fall. Sask does know how to maintain gravel though. Meadowlake prov park is really beautiful and great gravel. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. I try to stay off hwy 28 (cold lake to edmoton) as much as possible. A lot of fast moving traffic, guys rushing to and from the oil patch.
  18. Gold5th

Gold5th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the Alberta side I call 63 and 28 between Edmonton and Ft. Mac "the Ft. Mac 500", because it seems like a race. One snowy winter day I was doing 120km/h in a small 4x4 with excelant winter tires down 63 between Grassland and Boyle (I know this highway well, I live in the area) and I was getting passed like I was standing still. I've done 63 on bike before during a rush (Sunday night/Monday morning or Friday) it wasn't bad, just be alert. I ride a large cruiser (1800cc) so it's a little eaiser to hold my ground.
  19. sherpaguy

sherpaguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I see on google maps some interesting looking gravel north of Prince Albert Park -any comments
  20. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:

Sask knows how to do gravel. There has been a lot of construction in NW Sask. the highway west of me (55) has been torn down to the base and is being rebuilt. I tried riding the gravel road south of Pierceland to Lloydminster and had to turn back, they had graded it very deeply and dumped a lot of fresh gravel with a lot of really big rocks. Skull sized rocks while sliding around didn't inspire much confidence. Bring lots of extra fuel, you can be out in the middle of nowhere and be turned back.
    The area is really pretty and worth the trouble. The closer to Saskatoon you are the more optional routes you can take, up here it is a little limited. Pick up a Sask back road atlas in any case.